Possibly declining after letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Streax1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in a pickle. I was accepted at a school, then interviewed at another, wrote a letter of intent because the latter was cheaper after COL, and got accepted. My parents ended up wanting to buy a house for me to live in at the first school for a future investment property. So with that, I now am really wanting to go to the first school because now it would be cheaper. How do I go about declining my second offer after writing that letter of intent?

Sent from my XT1096 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Dear _____ School of Dental Medicine/Dentistry,

I will be declining my seat for the class of 2020.

Cheers,
Streax1

PS-I have amazing parents.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've just heard that it's pretty bad to decline after a LOI. Am I just stressing too much about it?

Sent from my XT1096 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
you are just stressing too much. your LOI does not guarantee your acceptance and vice versa (the school is not committed to accept you for writing that LOI), you can withdraw/drop out anytime you want

Reactions: 1 user
Don't stress out about it. Write something short and sweet; you don't need to explain yourself at all/don't owe the school anything.

declining a school after you sent a letter of intent isn't wise. It could hurt your chances getting into an advance program at that specific school. Do what you feel is right and good luck!