Possibly thinking about PA school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meezus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've posted on here before I want to preface that my GPA is very low; 2.65. BA in Psych. I didn't try very hard at all and partied a lot, but since graduating I have found a strong passion in medicine and my work ethic has changed dramatically (although I know it's not very convincing to adcoms). However, I have not taken any of the science courses for pre-med and I am thinking about going back to school to fulfill that and hopefully get great grades.

I have been reading that there is high demand for physician assistants now and it seems like something that might be a little more likely for me to get into rather than med school under my grade circumstances. If I do pursue PA school, I would ideally get an EMT certificate Winter 2015 and then start taking classes and work for a private EMS company or preferably, in the ER(to get those patient contact hours). If it were to be med school, I would like to shadow a physician and do some volunteer work in the hospital while I take the courses starting this fall.

My questions are:

1. If I do really good (above 3.7) in all of my pre-med or pre-PA school courses, do I still have a shot at getting into a good program? If so, which might I have a better shot at (pre-med or PA school)? I understand that the debt load is much different between the two programs, but let's assume money is not a major issue. Also, in the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't mind working under someone, but I would rather be a doctor. If the chances of acceptance are not too bad either way, I might be leaning more towards med school.

2. How competitive are the PA programs as far as GPA? What else do they look for?

3. I know that no matter what, there might not be any coming back from a poor GPA. What else can I do, provided that I do get in the science pre-reqs, to make me stand out for either track?

4. Side note: Does it look that much worse to take the prerequisites at a community college versus a local university?

I REALLY don't want to just give up this idea and succumb to my **** GPA due to irresponsible choices I made at 19 and 20 (that's what the law school kids told me when I contemplated going into law school; didn't really want to go into law anyways) unless there's absolutely no way of getting into either program. Any constructive ideas will help!

Members don't see this ad.

Anything is possible if you put your heart to it.

Pa school is hard to get into. Gotta have your ducks in a row. That phrase should guide you. Ask yourself "do I have all my ducks in a row, and is that obvious to everyone around me?" If you do have all your ducks in a row, you'll probably have a 1 in 4 chance of getting in.

Law school?... My buddy is a well paid lawyer, and he always jokes that lawyers all think they could be doctors. He says it with a glimmer in his eye and a sarcastic smile: "Well, if you ask any lawyer, there isn't a single one that won't tell you that they could have been doctors." Another of his favorite one liners is "well, if nursing doesn't work out, you could always go to law school.... It's not difficult."

Honestly, you'd have the best chance getting into DO school, or POD (podiatry would be easiest). As a pod, you might have that instant leadership role that appeals to you.