Post-Bac + DO School Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSJC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've just started an informal post-bacc to boost my sGPA. I'm hoping to apply to DO school at the end of this academic year, but I'm wondering if 1 year of classes will be enough before application?

My post-bac plan:
1st semester: HumPhys + retake Ochem while studying for MCAT - take in Nov (2 classes, 6 semester hrs)
2nd semester: Biochem, Genetics, retake Ochem II, Microbio (4 classes, 12 semester hrs)

With grade replacement in Ochem & granted I pull straight As, my sGPA could potentially boost to 3.2-3.3. Undergrad cGPA is 3.4. Working hard to score between 30-35 on MCAT.

Academically, is this post-bac plan enough for DO application in June or would I probably need to do another full year of classes and apply in 2016? Alternatively, what about applying in June 2015, taking summer courses, and updating transcripts with AACOMAS in August? Not sure how long DO schools like to see an "upward trend" for. Thanks so much for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

You will be fine if you get your GPA's up to what you stated and get at least a 28 on the MCAT, but shoot for 30-35 and you are golden. Get some extra curriculars in if you have time and make them worthwhile

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure how good your studying habits are. But prepping the MCAT was a full time thing for me. Seeing that you are juggling classes and Mcat, you will definitely need to be very dedicated to both. Good luck, I admire your drive!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
30-35 is a terrific range to be in. Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have some reliable indication that you can score this high in 2 months?

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the above - you have to take your time. When I did the post bac - I thought I would be done in 2 years but it took me 3 so that I could work FT and take classes at night so that I wouldn't be in debt going into med school. And despite taking a few months off to study for the MCAT (which really was a full time job!!), I never got above the mid 20s. So start your classes and see how things go. You never know how things are going to change and what unexpected challenges you may face. I found the MCAT to be harder for me than my boards. Aim for the high MCAT score but put in 100% into your classes and studying for the MCAT. Just take things one day at a time and be prepared to make adjustments as they come.

Reactions: 2 users
30-35 is a terrific range to be in. Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have some reliable indication that you can score this high in 2 months?

I agree with the above - you have to take your time. When I did the post bac - I thought I would be done in 2 years but it took me 3 so that I could work FT and take classes at night so that I wouldn't be in debt going into med school. And despite taking a few months off to study for the MCAT (which really was a full time job!!), I never got above the mid 20s. So start your classes and see how things go. You never know how things are going to change and what unexpected challenges you may face. I found the MCAT to be harder for me than my boards. Aim for the high MCAT score but put in 100% into your classes and studying for the MCAT. Just take things one day at a time and be prepared to make adjustments as they come.

Thanks everyone for your genuine concern and advice :) I've been studying for the previous 2 months as well so I haven't just started haha. My baseline score before content review/studying was a 24 on an AAMC and I've improved a lot through studying/practice since then - so hopefully will hit 30+ on practices soon. Fortunately, the 2 classes I'm taking are reinforcing my MCAT material and have been very manageable on top of studying. I was initially concerned about the low course load, but decided 2 classes was probably the most realistic limit for me take while MCAT studying.

fireflygirl, you're right - I'm definitely trying to take things one day at a time and work towards my goal. Just trying to plan ahead to create some concrete structure in my game plan before applying but as you said, things can always come up. I would love to ask you more about your DO experience - lmk if it'd be okay for me to PM you! Thanks!

Of course! Feel free to PM me! I'm on night float right now and not going to bed anytime soon so we can chat :)

Thanks everyone for your genuine concern and advice :) I've been studying for the previous 2 months as well so I haven't just started haha. My baseline score before content review/studying was a 24 on an AAMC and I've improved a lot through studying/practice since then - so hopefully will hit 30+ on practices soon. Fortunately, the 2 classes I'm taking are reinforcing my MCAT material and have been very manageable on top of studying. I was initially concerned about the low course load, but decided 2 classes was probably the most realistic limit for me take while MCAT studying.

fireflygirl, you're right - I'm definitely trying to take things one day at a time and work towards my goal. Just trying to plan ahead to create some concrete structure in my game plan before applying but as you said, things can always come up. I would love to ask you more about your DO experience - lmk if it'd be okay for me to PM you! Thanks!
Sounds like you're on the right track. All the best!