post bac or masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cynthiadj127

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of people are for a post bac a lot of my friends did not do well in in their undergrad courses and therefore entered a post bac program.. but then people tell me they do it for the name of the school and an almost guaranteed spot comes application? I initially planned on getting a masters in med tech but now I'm having second thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Post-Bacc is a huge waste of $$$ unless your GPA is an absolute mess. Do a DIY post-bacc at your local Community College for a fraction of the cost.

Reactions: 1 users
I see a lot of people are for a post bac a lot of my friends did not do well in in their undergrad courses and therefore entered a post bac program.. but then people tell me they do it for the name of the school and an almost guaranteed spot comes application? I initially planned on getting a masters in med tech but now I'm having second thoughts.
Are you talking about a situation where you've already done your pre-med pre-reqs and gotten underwhelming grades, or a post-bacc where you do all you pre-reqs for the first time? Also, it's hard to give advice without real numbers. If you have middle of the road grades, certain programs (like a Master's or SMP at a medical school) can be used to prove you'll succeed in medical school. On the other hand, for major GPA repair, grade replacement for DO is likely the way to go.

Either way, no to a med tech master's.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about a situation where you've already done your pre-med pre-reqs and gotten underwhelming grades, or a post-bacc where you do all you pre-reqs for the first time? Also, it's hard to give advice without real numbers. If you have middle of the road grades, certain programs (like a Master's or SMP at a medical school) can be used to prove you'll succeed in medical school. On the other hand, for major GPA repair, grade replacement for DO is likely the way to go.

Either way, no to a med tech master's.

I already completed by pre reqs, however I'm receiving my degree in psychology and I'm nervous that I might give the impression that I'm not a successful candidate for medical school. I don't think post bac will help me in anyway considering I don't need grade recovery, but do you think a masters in science will be at my advantage or should I just focus on the mcat? Whether it be med tech or neuroscience (which I'm leaning more towards).

I already completed by pre reqs, however I'm receiving my degree in psychology and I'm nervous that I might give the impression that I'm not a successful candidate for medical school. I don't think post bac will help me in anyway considering I don't need grade recovery, but do you think a masters in science will be at my advantage or should I just focus on the mcat? Whether it be med tech or neuroscience (which I'm leaning more towards).
What is your GPA? Have you taken any science classes other than pre reqs?

If you don't need any grade enhancement, the only things you should be doing are focusing on other parts of your app like killing the MCAT, shadowing, EC's and LOR. In no way shape or form will your Psych degree be looked down upon. In fact, at least from my experience, a non-science major has been a great talking point in interviews. You could always, during your cycle, take an upper level science class or two to work your brain and have some extra grades to show if need be. But a full Master's program really isn't necessary unless you love research or something.

The MCAT is the great equalizer and a nice score will silence all doubt.

If you don't need any grade enhancement, the only things you should be doing are focusing on other parts of your app like killing the MCAT, shadowing, EC's and LOR. In no way shape or form will your Psych degree be looked down upon. In fact, at least from my experience, a non-science major has been a great talking point in interviews. You could always, during your cycle, take an upper level science class or two to work your brain and have some extra grades to show if need be. But a full Master's program really isn't necessary unless you love research or something.

The MCAT is the great equalizer and a nice score will silence all doubt.

Thanks! I appreciate the honest feedback

What is your GPA? Have you taken any science classes other than pre reqs?
My GPA is 3.8 and the only upper level science courses I have taken so far is neurobiology, biochemistry and advanced orgo .. When taking psych courses I tried to focus primarily on disabilities, cognitive, and neuro classes rather than strict personality and behavior.

My GPA is 3.8 and the only upper level science courses I have taken so far is neurobiology, biochemistry and advanced orgo .. When taking psych courses I tried to focus primarily on disabilities, cognitive, and neuro classes rather than strict personality and behavior.

With that GPA you would be just fine applying to medical school without a masters or post bacc. (Assuming you did well in your science courses) I was recently at KCU for an interview and I met someone who was a music major that only had taken the pre reqs. If you want to do a masters to get more science courses and knowledge by all means do so, but it isn't necessary.

Women's studies major right here!

People are too quick to disregard graduate school. It has done wonders for me (2 MD acceptances and a forthcoming decision in the near future from another MD).

I was able to take core program courses plus whatever other classes I wanted. More importantly, I was paid to attend graduate school through an assistantship that provided me with invaluable experiences via research and tutoring. In my opinion, grad school is much better than an smp (and my wallet agrees). The people who say that it doesn't look impressive either underperformed, didn't take full advantage of available opportunities, or, more likely, never attended graduate school and need to justify their choice of paying mega bucks for a smp.

Every interviewer thus far has talked extensively about my graduate education (note, it is not in a traditional 'hard' science). My only advice...stay away from a mph. Look into graduate education, it is not the 'pit' that sdn makes it out to be. My school has a med tech program and I know several students who are holding MD acceptances from the program. And if you fail to get into medical school, at least you have a degree that can grant you a salaried position to hold you over until reapplication.

Note: I entered grad school without an extensive scientific background.

People are too quick to disregard graduate school. It has done wonders for me (2 MD acceptances and a forthcoming decision in the near future from another MD).

I was able to take core program courses plus whatever other classes I wanted. More importantly, I was paid to attend graduate school through an assistantship that provided me with invaluable experiences via research and tutoring. In my opinion, grad school is much better than an smp (and my wallet agrees). The people who say that it doesn't look impressive either underperformed, didn't take full advantage of available opportunities, or, more likely, never attended graduate school and need to justify their choice of paying mega bucks for a smp.

Every interviewer thus far has talked extensively about my graduate education (note, it is not in a traditional 'hard' science). My only advice...stay away from an mph. Look into graduate education, it is not the 'pit' that sdn makes it out to be. My school has a med tech program and ai know several students who are holding MD acceptances from the program. And if you fail to get into medical school, at least you have a degree that can grant you a salaried position to hold you over until reapplication.

I don't think anyone is discounting it, but OP seems to think he/she needs one to oversompensate for a non science major despite a high sGPA, which isn't necessary.

I definitely agree with you, I'm a thesis away from my master's degree and it's 100% the thing that got me into med school.

I don't think anyone is discounting it, but OP seems to think he/she needs one to oversompensate for a non science major despite a high sGPA, which isn't necessary.

I definitely agree with you, I'm a thesis away from my master's degree and it's 100% the thing that got me into med school.
You rock! By the way, my comment was not directed towards you, so I apologize if it sounded that way. Sincerely, congratulations on your success. I love to see fellow humanities majors rock it in grad school to achieve their dream (sociology, here!).

And I agree 100%. They don't care if you are a science major or not. If you have a high sgpa, you're good to go in that regard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you have all your pre-reqs and you have a bachelors..If you want to get accepted to osteopathic schools use the grade replacement option and retake your lowest grades to bring up your GPA

Every interviewer thus far has talked extensively about my graduate education (note, it is not in a traditional 'hard' science). My only advice...stay away from a mph. Look into graduate education, it is not the 'pit' that sdn makes it out to be. My school has a med tech program and I know several students who are holding MD acceptances from the program. And if you fail to get into medical school, at least you have a degree that can grant you a salaried position to hold you over until reapplication.

Great feedback and congrats on your acceptances!

Post-Bacc is a huge waste of $$$ unless your GPA is an absolute mess. Do a DIY post-bacc at your local Community College for a fraction of the cost.

This x100. I did this, I know a lot of people that did this, all had no issues getting in. Don't plunk down the money for a formal program.

Women's studies major right here!
Not many folks go to med school with Geography major..
And I was afraid, but to see another social science major going into med school gives me a huge hope :D

Not to sound like a broken record, but DIY post bacc is totally fine. I did that to complete one class I hadn't taken and two retakes, spent like 4k and paid it off while working in a hospital for clinical hours too.

It can be a pain to schedule classes at the various CCs and colleges in your area but as long as you are proactive you'll be fine.

Anyone have any advice on how many to apply to or any sort of acceptance rates?

I have a 3.6 GPA, 3.3 sGPA degree in BioEngineering from a top engineering school, 519 MCAT
I was thinking to apply to the U.Mich Biochemistry Masters :) and also some Masters in Medical Sciences programs, like at UVermont

Thanks!

Anyone have any advice on how many to apply to or any sort of acceptance rates?

I have a 3.6 GPA, 3.3 sGPA degree in BioEngineering from a top engineering school, 519 MCAT
I was thinking to apply to the U.Mich Biochemistry Masters :) and also some Masters in Medical Sciences programs, like at UVermont

Thanks!

Why dont you just apply to med school?

I did! Not working out so well :/

Pretty shocking given your stats. Did you apply to DO programs also? Did you have DO/MD LORs? Clinical experience?

If you didn't have any of those things it could behoove you more to just add them to an early app next cycle.. but I understand the risk in that.

There are all kinds of stats for these linked programs. Not sure what to believe really. I know Temple has a really good one called ACMS. On their site they say most people they admit have 3.5 overall, 3.4 science, 75% or better on all MCAT sections if theyve taken it. So I'd imagine you'd be competitive for such things.

Good luck either way. I'm sorry you were unsuccessful this time around.

Pretty shocking given your stats. Did you apply to DO programs also? Did you have DO/MD LORs? Clinical experience?

If you didn't have any of those things it could behoove you more to just add them to an early app next cycle.. but I understand the risk in that.

There are all kinds of stats for these linked programs. Not sure what to believe really. I know Temple has a really good one called ACMS. On their site they say most people they admit have 3.5 overall, 3.4 science, 75% or better on all MCAT sections if theyve taken it. So I'd imagine you'd be competitive for such things.

Good luck either way. I'm sorry you were unsuccessful this time around.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it :) Best of luck to you too in your endeavors