post bac programs low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefool

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 2.4 gpa and am looking for post-bacc programs that will accept me. Does anyone know about Hunter college in NY? or Stony Brook. They are both close to me but I realize that if there is a better fit for me elsewhere than I should go that route. Most formal programs will not accept me however there are some on the amcas website that seem like they would. Does anyone know any good programs that are known to accept low gpas? Im in a hole but I do have an ivy league undergrad degree that may help to offset chances in my favor of getting into a decent post-bac.

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I have a 2.4 gpa and am looking for post-bacc programs that will accept me. Does anyone know about Hunter college in NY? or Stony Brook. They are both close to me but I realize that if there is a better fit for me elsewhere than I should go that route. Most formal programs will not accept me however there are some on the amcas website that seem like they would. Does anyone know any good programs that are known to accept low gpas? Im in a hole but I do have an ivy league undergrad degree that may help to offset chances in my favor of getting into a decent post-bac.

Thanks everyone

For most unstructured programs, there isn't really much of a GPA requirement. It appears to be the case for Hunter based on what AAMC tells me. As you pointed out, formal programs have a higher GPA, mainly because they want to have a good success rate to improve their fame. In all honesty, it is far easier to get a person who has a 2.7 GPA into med school than a person with a 2.4. This is why most programs have a GPA requirement of 2.6-2.7. Some may even have GPA requirements of 3.0-3.3.

I wouldn't rely on the Ivy League name to help offset anything, especially a GPA <3.0. Everyone is expected to do well, Ivy League or not. Clearly you have to boost your GPA, and that can only be accomplished by taking and doing well in coursework. This can be done anywhere that allows you to take classes for grade. It may cost more at some places, but that may be the only way to do it. I would:

1) Look for a program that meets your needs (e.g., cost, classes, and extracurricular resources)

2) Be reasonable--all you need are classes to boost your GPA. Some people need a structured program, while other do not.

3) Ask yourself why you have a 2.4 GPA. Like I said, we are expected to do well at whatever school we go to, and whatever degree we major in. Resolve these issues now. Since you have reached the point of diminishing returns, given that you have completed a bachelors degree. Note that some med schools screen GPA, and will not even give you a secondary application if you have a GPA < 3.0-3.2. The magic number...at least in terms of GPA rehab is 3.0...once you reach or surpass it, life is much better.

Why am I saying this, I had a 2.65 GPA after undergrad, and its a LONG and EXPENSIVE journey in getting to the magical 3.0. In fact I still have another year of classes until I can reach the 3.0. Good luck!