Post Bac programs or....grad school??

Started by apr27
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

apr27

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I did not fair as I well as I hoped on my MCAT. I suppose I just freaked out, because I was scoring competitively.

As of now, I have a 3.42 gpa/22 MCAT

I know I can do better on the MCAT, but I also want a better GPA. So, I'm looking at post bac programs.

My questions are...

a)is post bac right for me?
b)If so, what are some good programs that I should look? I've looked at a few, but I just want to see what you have to say.

should i even consider grad school?
 
You'll probably want to search under "Academic Record-Enhancers" if you decide on a post-bac program. Other types of post-bac's are for underprivileged students, or for people seeking a 2nd career. You might also fit into one of those other categories.

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/


If you're looking for my advice: ask yourself what you're interested in.

Like statistics? Do an MPH
Like anatomy? Get a masters in it.

Do something you'll enjoy (and can excel at) while you're getting ready to re-take and re-apply.
 
Last edited:
i think just studying super hard for the mcat would be better than either of those options...


You may have a shot with your GPA, but I'd say it's borderline. If you want to do academic work to bring it up, go for it. Otherwise, yes, just study and crush the MCAT.