Post-Bac vs. Grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MTY

hi guys, i think this is a good issue that requires good input and suggestions from you.
my friend is asking if he should join post-bac program or grad program to increase his GPA. which pathway will increase his chance of getting accepted to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Im not sure which way will guarantee acceptance to medical school. The advantage that post-bac programs have is that there are may set up for Pre-meds to finish their requirements. They have advisors and programs to help you with the admissions process. There might not be the same kind of support in a Grad program. At the same time a Masters degree does look impressive. You also have to keep in mind that med school may not accept you until you have finished your graduate degree which takes about 2 years or more.
I took the option of taking post-bac biology classes to boost my GPA. Im not in a post-bac program so Im my own advisor. I can pick any classes I want, but sometimes wish I had the support of other classmates in the similar situation as there would be in a defined post-bac program.

Allopathic schools usually don't count graduate gpa as part of the application. Most DO schools do consider both. So I suggest your friend to go for post-bacc.

------------------
NSU 2002
(-@o@-)