MD & DO Post bacc applied to school through a linkage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hp2018

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I would like to know what I should shoot for on my mcat. I’m a post bac student applying through a linkage program. I had a interview 3 weeks ago at PCOM, my top school. If I’m accepted it will be pending my mcat score which I am taking may 24, 2019.

1. cGPA 3.33 and sGPA 3.3

2. pending

3. NJ resident (did post bac in PA)

4. Caucasian female

5. Small private undergraduate institution degree in foods and nutrition.

6. 700+ hours clinical experience (working in hospital as a dietary aid and shadowing) 1500+ hours (working as a personal trainer and nutritionist)

7. Research experience looking at E.coli in local water systems

8. 300+ shadowing hours – shadowed a neurologist DO who went to PCOM, shadowed a oncologist, shadowed different emergency room physicians.

9. 1000+ non clinical volunteer (volunteer at a church, provided free nutrition information to low income area, and volunteer at animal rescue groups)

10. Sat on the board of the foods and nutrition club, ran multiple half marathons for charity.

Waitress at fine dining restaurants full time throughout my entire educational career (you know to pay the bills)

Also if I don’t get in I will apply this upcoming cycle broadly to DO schools. How does my app look so far? What should I shoot for on my mcat ??thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

You might get cut a little slack GPA-wise if you are lucky for working full time while attending school full-time. Your service hours are excellent. For DO schools, shoot for a 505 or better. Your state MD? How have you done in that postbacc? If 3.7 or better, you've got a solid chance at your state MD schools with a 510, preferably a 512. Mid-tiers will be an uphill battle for you even with a solid postbacc and I'd suggest a 516 or better.

You might get cut a little slack GPA-wise if you are lucky for working full time while attending school full-time. Your service hours are excellent. For DO schools, shoot for a 505 or better. Your state MD? How have you done in that postbacc? If 3.7 or better, you've got a solid chance at your state MD schools with a 510, preferably a 512. Mid-tiers will be an uphill battle for you even with a solid postbacc and I'd suggest a 516 or better.
I finished my post bac with a 3.3 that was essentially my science gpa! But thanks for advising how I should do on mcat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, 3.3 postbacc means you should apply to DO schools and your state MD schools. If you knock the MCAT out of the park, some mid-tier MD schools might bite, especially since you worked full-time while going to school full-time - which may earn you a little slack if you are lucky. Did you work full-time during the postbacc?

Yeah, 3.3 postbacc means you should apply to DO schools and your state MD schools. If you knock the MCAT out of the park, some mid-tier MD schools might bite, especially since you worked full-time while going to school full-time - which may earn you a little slack if you are lucky. Did you work full-time during the postbacc?
Yes I also worked full time through my post bac

Ideally you'd have done better in it, but you have the grades you have. Write about this in your application and shoot for a 510 or better if you want a chance at your state MD schools; your GPA is a bit low for those schools. Good luck.