Post Bacc Career Changer Finance Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Prestige_Vision

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I was wondering if there were any people who pursued a career changing post bacc who also had a family and decided to go work on that post bacc program full time and I would like to know if they used financial aid to help with living expenses or if they just used savings for that post bacc year? I haven't made any decisions but I was going back and forth with different options.
 
Shortly after marrying I decided to change careers and did a post-bacc full time. My wife and I had purchased a house a few years before we married so I relied on financial aid to pay for tuition. Fortunately my wife was working and her salary was able to cover the cost of living.
 
Since I am a very late career changer and had more to lose, I chose not to quit my job (aka career) while completing the post-bacc. It was full time, but actually only 3 classes + 2 labs each semester, purely pre-requisites taken in sequence, in person. I didn't feel comfortable risking too much before I even knew if it would be possible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since I am a very late career changer and had more to lose, I chose not to quit my job (aka career) while completing the post-bacc. It was full time, but actually only 3 classes + 2 labs each semester, purely pre-requisites taken in sequence, in person. I didn't feel comfortable risking too much before I even knew if it would be possible.

Were you part of an accelerated post bacc program that takes a year to complete or was it like a DIY post bacc style? The post bacc program near me recommends against working and I am of the same mentality that I don’t want to just stop working. With my health insurance and other benefits, I feel it’s a steep decision to make.
 
Were you part of an accelerated post bacc program that takes a year to complete or was it like a DIY post bacc style?

It was not an "accelerated" program, nor DIY. It was a two year program (Fall, Spring, Summer, Fall, Spring). It was designed for career changers in that we took all the basics (Bio 1/2 with labs, Chem 1/2 with labs, Ochem 1/2 with labs, Physics 1/2 with labs, Calc, Stats, BioChem, Physio, MicroBio) to cover a variety of pre-req mandates across several different pre-health needs (MD, DO, PA, Dental, etc.). The program organized the classes at a time of day that supported those of us working traditional office hours, but this probably also fit well with when the university had classroom space available for us. It was recommended that we not work, but I knew that if I or my family couldn't make it work for "simple" undergrad level coursework while working full time, the likelihood of my success in med school would be similarly low.

But, this decision really is very personal with regards to your family budget, the strength of your current career, likelihood of staying in it if med school doesn't happen, comfort with singular focus on success in post bacc balanced against back-up plan if med school doesn't happen, etc.

I tend to think I'm like everyone else, but it is more likely to do poorly in your classes if working full time, so, since I did very well, it's possible that I'm an outlier. You might be an outlier too - do you already tend to commit to doing "too much" but still get it all done well without alienating your spouse and children? Then you, and your family, might be a good candidate to do work and school full time with family. If not, then perhaps a post-bacc plan without working is wiser.

Good luck! 🙂
 
Since I am a very late career changer and had more to lose, I chose not to quit my job (aka career) while completing the post-bacc. It was full time, but actually only 3 classes + 2 labs each semester, purely pre-requisites taken in sequence, in person. I didn't feel comfortable risking too much before I even knew if it would be possible.
I'm very curious how in the world you handled 3 classes + 2 labs + career at the same time? I feel pressed taking one class (gen chem) while working full time.
 
I'm very curious how in the world you handled 3 classes + 2 labs + career at the same time? I feel pressed taking one class (gen chem) while working full time.

It's all time management.

My time was never spent on anything but work, family, school. There is a huge gap in my awareness of pop culture (music, movies, tv series, etc.) during that window.

When the family realized that my summer break (between classes ending in May and the summer session starting in June) meant that there was zero overlap with the kids summer, we did a quick mini-trip using the 4th of July weekend for a short stay in the mountains. And, you bet I took my classwork with me. My day-hike backpack had snacks, water, first aid kit and flashcards.

I picked up groceries on the way home from class at night, I bought birthday presents during lunch at work, I basically did all the same stuff that I imagine a parent who works two jobs to make ends meet would have to do just to survive. I was privileged enough to be able to afford only one job so I could do school too, and still complain about a "mini" vacation.
 
Hello, I was wondering if there were any people who pursued a career changing post bacc who also had a family and decided to go work on that post bacc program full time and I would like to know if they used financial aid to help with living expenses or if they just used savings for that post bacc year? I haven't made any decisions but I was going back and forth with different options.
I did about 3 years of full-time post-bacc work, plus all the other stuff - volunteering, clinical, shadowing, research - as the lead parent to two small children. My spouse also worked full-time and served as the durable power of attorney to his dying father, so not a lot of bandwidth to help. I did it non-matriculated, and FAFSA offered one year of loans in that situation, which were great to start.
That said, I haven't succeeded yet, but I really do think parents make excellent students.
 
It's all time management.

My time was never spent on anything but work, family, school. There is a huge gap in my awareness of pop culture (music, movies, tv series, etc.) during that window.

When the family realized that my summer break (between classes ending in May and the summer session starting in June) meant that there was zero overlap with the kids summer, we did a quick mini-trip using the 4th of July weekend for a short stay in the mountains. And, you bet I took my classwork with me. My day-hike backpack had snacks, water, first aid kit and flashcards.

I picked up groceries on the way home from class at night, I bought birthday presents during lunch at work, I basically did all the same stuff that I imagine a parent who works two jobs to make ends meet would have to do just to survive. I was privileged enough to be able to afford only one job so I could do school too, and still complain about a "mini" vacation.
That's inspiring to hear; thanks so much for sharing.