Post-bacc...in math?

Started by Sutter
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sutter

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated with a 3.65 cGPA/sub 3.41 sGPA. I then took 32 credits of math and physics courses while I worked as a consultant my first year out of college. My company had a pretty sweet tuition reimbursement package, and I thought...why not? The college nearest to me offers more engineering/math degrees, and so had an abundance of evening math and physics courses. I always enjoyed math and physics, needed a way to raise my sGPA, so took a lot of them, and loved it. The courses range from College Algebra to Quantum Mechanics, I'm about 3 credits away from a degree in applied mathematics, something I hope to finish up sometime this year.

However, I understand this is not a conventional post-bacc. Will adcoms raise their eyebrows at this? Be bothered by this?
 
Will they be bothered by it? No. But GPA repair isn't just a numbers thing. You need to show a proficiency in biology and chemistry.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated with a 3.65 cGPA/sub 3.41 sGPA. I then took 32 credits of math and physics courses while I worked as a consultant my first year out of college. My company had a pretty sweet tuition reimbursement package, and I thought...why not? The college nearest to me offers more engineering/math degrees, and so had an abundance of evening math and physics courses. I always enjoyed math and physics, needed a way to raise my sGPA, so took a lot of them, and loved it. The courses range from College Algebra to Quantum Mechanics, I'm about 3 credits away from a degree in applied mathematics, something I hope to finish up sometime this year.

However, I understand this is not a conventional post-bacc. Will adcoms raise their eyebrows at this? Be bothered by this?

If I were an ADCOM, I would be impressed because you took courses 1) That were much tougher than a typical Post-Bac 2) Out of sheer motivation for those fields. Based on your earlier post in the WAMC section, I would be convinced of your passion for a career in healthcare.

Unfortunately, I'm not an ADCOM so lemme request the help of Dr. @gyngyn and Dr. @LizzyM

Will they be bothered by it? No. But GPA repair isn't just a numbers thing. You need to show a proficiency in biology and chemistry.

I'd argue that Quantum and Higher Math > Biology + Chemistry. If he could handle that load working full time, he'd certainly slaughter Cell Phys and PChem.