Post Bacc: Is it worth it??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hmlt1776

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I’m a nurse with my BSN who is looking to go back to medical school. In college didn’t really take any pre-med courses so I would have to now take all of them which would take me at least 2 years. I have heard about some post bacc programs that only take 12 months which is very appealing to me. My undergrad gpa was 3.98 my ACT was 32 (never took the SAT), and I have some research experience because I did a year of research in order to graduate with honors. Would I be able to get in to a good post bacc program and would it be worth it as opposed to just taking the classes on my own? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would do a "do it yourself" post bacc with a local university or community college to take the pre-recs need for med school. Doing so will take about 2 year, but you can power through it in 1 if you are dedicated.

If you are looking to go to a specific medical school, it might help to enroll in their postbac program. If not, I doubt it's going to make a difference if you do a formal or DIY postbac. Focus on acing the MCAT and getting your ECs in check and you're golden.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the time, money, and freedom to do a formal post-bacc, and if you can get into one of the very top ones (Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Scripps, or Hopkins) then I say go for it. These programs are high quality and have a high success rate of getting their students into medical school.

If you have the time, money, and freedom to do a formal post-bacc, and if you can get into one of the very top ones (Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Scripps, or Hopkins) then I say go for it. These programs are high quality and have a high success rate of getting their students into medical school.
What do these programs look for in a competitive applicant? Is the same as for med school or are there things that are post bacc specific?

What do these programs look for in a competitive applicant? Is the same as for med school or are there things that are post bacc specific?

High GPAs and high standardized test scores and something unobjectionable as existing career.

From the few people I know who've done these programs, it seems like they're looking for people who will have a strong shot at med school. So no red flags, to include a low GPA.