Post Bacc or Masters??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desijigga

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know its a bit premature, but I just want to be prepared for the worst!!!:( (MODS PLEASE don't move my thread, because whenever you move it noone answers my questions, thank you)

If for some reason I don't get in anywhere this year, I have narrowed my choice down to 2 options.

Option 1.)

I was going to sign up for upper-level science classes at Oakland University for the spring semester 08. Take around 16-20 credit hours (Biochem, Cell bio, physio, etc). Also retake MCAT in either April or may. Then apply again for the next cycle hoping the schools will see me in a new light with an excellent Post-bacc gpa and a new MCAT score. Continue to take more science classes till I start medical school.

Drawbacks: I will have to take out more loans to cover for the classes. I don't know how significant it will look having only one semester of hardcore science classes.

Option 2.)

Join the BMS Masters program at Wayne State University, Apply in the cycle of 09. Retake the MCAT. I have heard of many people attending medical school after completing their masters at Wayne.

Drawbacks: I will have to wait 2 more years before starting Medical school. Also will probably cost me around 40K when I finish my masters. Be around 25 when I start Medical school.

So which one would you guys say would be a better route for me? I just want to go to medical school, wherever it might be...:rolleyes:

Edit: The Director of Admissions at MSUCOM told me to do a post-bacc at OU. For some reason I got a negative vibe from her about my chances this year at MSU. It was a real downer for me a the end of the day to hear that from her. Life goes on...

My sister insists I do my masters if really desire to go to Medical School. She has numerous friends that have done this and gone on to MD or DO medical schools. (I don't know how much weight to put on her opinion since she isn't a medical school member)

Members don't see this ad.

I know its a bit premature, but I just want to be prepared for the worst!!!:( (MODS PLEASE don't move my thread, because whenever you move it noone answers my questions, thank you)

If for some reason I don't get in anywhere this year, I have narrowed my choice down to 2 options.

Option 1.)

I was going to sign up for upper-level science classes at Oakland University for the spring semester 08. Take around 16-20 credit hours (Biochem, Cell bio, physio, etc). Also retake MCAT in either April or may. Then apply again for the next cycle hoping the schools will see me in a new light with an excellent Post-bacc gpa and a new MCAT score. Continue to take more science classes till I start medical school.

Drawbacks: I will have to take out more loans to cover for the classes. I don't know how significant it will look having only one semester of hardcore science classes.

Option 2.)

Join the BMS Masters program at Wayne State University, Apply in the cycle of 09. Retake the MCAT. I have heard of many people attending medical school after completing their masters at Wayne.

Drawbacks: I will have to wait 2 more years before starting Medical school. Also will probably cost me around 40K when I finish my masters. Be around 25 when I start Medical school.

So which one would you guys say would be a better route for me? I just want to go to medical school, wherever it might be...:rolleyes:

Edit: The Director of Admissions at MSUCOM told me to do a post-bacc at OU. For some reason I got a negative vibe from her about my chances this year at MSU. It was a real downer for me a the end of the day to hear that from her. Life goes on...

My sister insists I do my masters if really desire to go to Medical School. She has numerous friends that have done this and gone on to MD or DO medical schools. (I don't know how much weight to put on her opinion since she isn't a medical school member)

I was advised by a very experienced admissions dean at a UTex system school that the SMPs are not as beneficial as compared to MCAT improvement. Based on this information, I'd probably go with your Option 1. I took over 40 hours of post-baccalaureate coursework to improve my application over the years, a la carte. A master's might have been a good option based on hindsight but that's not in the cards at the moment. It's really up to you but I'd put my money on MCAT improvement; let that puppy nibble on your soul for a few more months while you try to squeeze out a few more points. :rolleyes:

I am in exactly the same situation and dilemma as you. You are not alone. I personally am leaning more on option 1 because 1) it's cheaper and 2) it's will help boost your uGPA which will be looked at first. Option 2 is okay too but its too expensive for me. Either way you choose, you just need to do well and you will get into a school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a low uGPA (3.07) and a master's degree in Biology. My MS gpa is 3.87. Sounds great...but it doesn't change the 3.07. When I got my master's I had no idea that I would ever be applying to medical school. If I could do it all again (knowing I was going to apply to med school this time) I would DEFINITELY do a post-bacc instead. That would increase my uGPA, whereas a high gGPA is nothing more than a nice EC.

The bonus to doing a post-bacc is that it will provide knowledge that will aid with the MCAT whereas a master's will not.

Post-bacc all the way...

I have a low uGPA (3.07) and a master's degree in Biology. My MS gpa is 3.87. Sounds great...but it doesn't change the 3.07. When I got my master's I had no idea that I would ever be applying to medical school. If I could do it all again (knowing I was going to apply to med school this time) I would DEFINATELY do a post-bacc instead. That would increase my uGPA, whereas a high gGPA is nothing more than a nice EC.

The bonus to doing a post-bacc is that it will provide knowledge that will aid with the MCAT whereas a master's will not.

Post-bacc all the way...

A masters degree will not curb your desire to spell phonetically whereas a post-baccalaureate DEFINITELY will. :D

dessi! You are going to get into state! don't worry.

You have a descent GPA for DO schools. If you don't get in this year, why not just save yourself the expense and work towards improving your MCAT?

Just some food for thought-you could do a fellowship at the NIH, get paid, get published, have plenty of time to focus on the MCAT, and end up w/ plenty of extra "life experiences" to add to your applications. Having similar stats, I chose to do this rather than go back to school (fortunately I never had to retake the MCAT, despite the fact that it is low). It turned out to be a good choice for me and many friends who are/were in a similar situation.

I think it's a good idea to have plans, but I wouldn't make any final decisions until you start getting rejections and can talk to someone at the schools to find out why you were rejected. They might point to something in particular (MCAT vs. GPA) that will make your decision simpler. As for post-bacc vs. masters, I'd probably do the post-bacc since it will increase your GPA. But again, I would suggest waiting until you get rejected to ask about the weaknesses they saw in your application. Good luck! It's still early, and you definitely have a chance! :)

Tuesday morning I started looking at post-baccs and masters programs then Tuesday afternoon I got the interview call from DCOM. I know it's only one interview but I found it to be funny. :p The main problem I have with Masters programs is, 1) I'm already in one 2) most take 18-24 months and I wouldn't want to put off applying again for that long. I honestly don't feel that a Masters degree increases your chances that much while doing a post-bacc can bring up your undergrad GPA. I'm not sure I could do a post-bacc program because I'm pretty sure you have to have available undergrad loans to do that (other than private loans). That's my opinion if you're choosing between the two but honestly, I think you'll be accepted somewhere this cycle. :luck:

I am kind of in the same boat. If I can't get in this year, I am definitely reapplying next year. I know my current MCAT score is hindering my application process, but I am retaking in January. I almost wrote to the schools to inform them of this, but I decided to let it ride and reapply next year if necessary, especially since the January scores will be released so late into the application process.

I have a B.S. in biology and am currently taking physics and biochem to fulfill my prereqs for med school. While I am waiting to get in, I am going to work towards my B.S.e.d. in biology so that I can teach high school bio and chem, all while improving my ugrad GPA! Then at least I can make some money while waiting to get in!

I think it is great that everyone is figuring out what they are going to do after the wait if it doesn't work out in their favor. Don't give up on your dream! You can do it if you want to, you just have to try hard enough...I just didn't try hard enough for my last MCAT (ugh!).

I am kind of in the same boat. If I can't get in this year, I am definitely reapplying next year. I know my current MCAT score is hindering my application process, but I am retaking in January. I almost wrote to the schools to inform them of this, but I decided to let it ride and reapply next year if necessary, especially since the January scores will be released so late into the application process.

I'm doing the same thing. I'm already scheduled to retake on January 25. I decided not to let the schools know because I didn't want to be put on hold until the end of February.

Good idea EEL. When you get into DCOM you can just forget the mcat. No harm done!

Good idea EEL. When you get into DCOM you can just forget the mcat. No harm done!

:laugh: Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll have to see what happens but in the meantime I'll be studying my butt off. I know I can score higher than a 22 dangit!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for all your responses. I guess Post-bacc would be a better route . Hopefully I won't have to worry, all I need is one acceptance :thumbup:.

its a no brainer.... post-bacc

I am currently in the same boat: waiting to hear anything for this application cycle, trying to prepare for a 'Plan B'.

UNT's HSC (Ft. Worth TX) has a great pre-med MS program that I just applied to. They don't guarantee acceptance the next year to TCOM, but you DO get special consideration. It is a 12 month Master's program specifically designed for medical school preparation. Acceptance to TCOM for 2008 is my first choice, of course, but I think that my 'Plan B' is a great second choice! Good luck to all! :luck:

I looked at TCOM's 12 month program and a some questions arose. Is this program only applicable with TCOM? Does TCOM really give a closer look at the graduates of this program versus other regular med school applicants. Can i attend this 12 month program and apply to other schools both MD & DO? It looks like a great program and is pretty cheap. I think I will apply first to all my intended schools and then see what happens. Just out of curiosity, is TCOM's program the same as a SMP?

I looked at TCOM's 12 month program and a some questions arose. Is this program only applicable with TCOM? Does TCOM really give a closer look at the graduates of this program versus other regular med school applicants. Can i attend this 12 month program and apply to other schools both MD & DO? It looks like a great program and is pretty cheap. I think I will apply first to all my intended schools and then see what happens. Just out of curiosity, is TCOM's program the same as a SMP?

Try this site, it might answer your questions.
http://www.hsc.unt.edu/Education/gsbs/medicalsciences.cfm

So wait, are you guys saying that you cant add master's courses to your AACOMAS to be calculated into the GPA? Or do they calculate the Master's GPA separately.
I am wondering because I am in the BMS program that desi was talking about and am taking Biochem, and Physiology.
I also heard about the AACOMAS grade substitution deal...will they not substitute these classes?

I think they calculate masters GPA separately.

How is the BMS program at Wayne? I would like someones personal opinion about it... thanks

I think they calculate masters GPA separately.

How is the BMS program at Wayne? I would like someones personal opinion about it... thanks

Its a good program and is molded for med students. I think 95% of the classes are in the med school building (Scott Hall)
The Biochem class is great and is 80% like the class the med students take, according to the professor.
Physiology is a good class too, but a lot different than physiology at MSU.
The only classes I can compare these grad classes to is the ones I took at MSU. The major difference is the size. Biochem at MSU = 700+ students, at Wayne State BMS its like 70. This gives you a chance to ask questions etc. The students are really nice and we all get along great. Not as much group studying because people drive in from all over the place and its hard to coordinate.
Also the professors here are better than the MSU ones. The exams are much more straightforward and they dont try to trick you with each and every single question. (specially in physiology)

If you have any specific questions, dont hesitate.

Hey thanks for the response.

So isn't the program 2 years, so were going to defer another year after being accepted somewhere this year? Or were going to enroll out of the BMS program after only a year?

Hey thanks for the response.

So isn't the program 2 years, so were going to defer another year after being accepted somewhere this year? Or were going to enroll out of the BMS program after only a year?

Yeah if I'm accepted this year, I wont finish the BMS program.
If I'm accepted by the end of this semester, I'll probably not even do the next semester there...

But as far as the duration of the program is concerned, It can take you anywhere from 3 to 5 semesters.

Its 34 credits total, Including a 4 credit essay. If you take 12-10-8 and finish your essay in that time you can even finish it in a year by taking 8 creds in summer. This is not recommended because taking 12 credits sucks (I'm doing it right now and its horrible)

I think Most people finish it in 4 semesters, including the summer semester which means about 1.5 years.