Medical Post-Bacc or SMP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what my best option is if I don't get accepted to medical school this cycle. I have ~3.05 sGPA, 3.45 cGPA, 511 MCAT. I applied broadly to 20 MD and DO schools, and only received one MD interview, which I am expecting results for by the second week of April. In the meantime, I've applied to several Post-Bacc and SMPs to address the primary weakness of my app (sGPA).

I've received acceptances from Temple ACHS Post-Bacc and University of Cincinnati SMP, but I'm not sure which would be best for somebody in my specific situation. I know a post-bacc will directly address a low UG sGPA, but I also feel like UC's SMP will provide me an opportunity to show my competence in rigorous med school classes.

That said, as a non-trad student, I am highly motivated to put in the time and effort to be successful in whatever program I choose. I'm also considering applying to a few schools during the upcoming MD cycle, with the expectation that a post-bacc or SMP on my AMCAS app will generate some interest along with solid first semester grades.

I'm open to any advice! Just really torn on which option will provide me the best chance of getting into med school most efficiently.

Thank you!
Honestly, I'm impressed that you got an II from an MD school with such a low sGPA. Normally, that's lethal. What was your hook? Rising sGPA trend? Live in a lucky state?

What is the nature of the Temple program? Normally, post-bac programs are for career changers and designed to give them the pre-reqs. In this case, the Cincy program would be better suited for you.

IF the two programs are similar in content, in that they mimic med school courses, go for the one that is cheapest, shortest and has the best linkage deal.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a poor start to college with a slight upward trend and ended strong. I also don’t live in a particularly lucky state (PA), but the interview was at an in-state school. Fingers crossed for good news, then this will be a moot point!

The Temple Post-Bacc is a academic record enhancer program for anyone pursuing health professional programs. It includes high level science courses that simulate med school intensity, but still contribute to undergrad GPA. Due to my Undergrad transcript I’m ineligible for any linkage they offer.

Cincinnati is structured so SMP cohort takes 3 blocks of MS1 classes along with their MS1 class, and you are ranked against each other and the med students. Additionally they offer a guaranteed interview to UCSOM upon program completion, and boast a 96% med school matriculation rate after program (~64% accepted that apply during program). The biggest downside is that it’s 10k more expensive than the TU post bacc.

Definitely leaning toward Cincinnati, but wanted to do my do-diligence before committing.
Go for Cincy. Enjoy Finley Market for me as well; I sure miss the place!

If you have a strong upward trend then I agree the SMP makes sense. Just make sure you’re ready—these programs are high risk/high reward, and doing anything less than stellar would be hard to recover from

Status
Not open for further replies.