Post-Bacc Pre-Reqs at CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JSainte

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I got my B.A. at DePaul here in Chicago and am now in need of taking my science pre-reqs for application to med school. I was at Northwestern but the commute was a nightmare for me and it was a little pricey as I had no financial aid.

I was wondering how bad CC pre-reqs would reflect. My guess is pretty bad as my GPA is only about 3.1 I'm more than sure I can ace the pre-reqs, but how much difference is there between A's from CC and A's from somewhere like Northwestern for me at this point? I'd hate to waste a year at CC when I should have been at a 4-year.

Also, if I went to a 4-year would it be terrible to get them at DePaul? I recall hearing you should do them at a school different than where you got your Bachelors. Any ideas?

Thanks!!
JSainte

Members don't see this ad.

If money is the key concern, then I say go to the CC and make all As.

But aren't there other 4 year post bacc opportunities in the Chicago area?

Your low UG GPA is a big problem no matter how you slice it. Whatever you do, you must make all As, or as close to it as possible.

It would be fine to take postbac classes at your undergrad institution. But even a year of straight As won't make much impact on your cumulative GPA. After completing the prerequisites, you might want to consider a Special Masters Program. See SDN's Postbaccalaureate Programs Forums to research this option.