Post-bacc, SMP, both? Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echo605

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am senior at a top LAC school graduating this coming summer as a non-science major.
I have completed most of my prereqs, but not all (mainly physics II, but I have also yet to take many upper level sciences courses).

I talked to my pre-med advisor, and she suggested PA school, mainly due to my low grades. My sGPA is a 3.0, and cGPA is a 3.2. I have two C's- one in Multivariable calculus, and a C+ in Organic Chemistry I (both from freshman year). My other science grades are mainly B/B+. I feel if I could focus on just the sciences instead of doubling with my non-science major courses, I could perform significantly better. ECs can be improved with more shadowing/clinical hours, but I have tons of volunteering, mission trips, vibrant extracurriculars with leadership positions, and two summers of research. After a lot of soul searching and conversations with my PA and my PI, who is an MD, I have decided that I still want to pursue medicine, but I am open to DO programs. I have yet to take the MCAT, but will be studying for it intensely and hope to have a competitive score by next Fall.

With my stats/situation, should I do a grad program (for example, Johns Hopkins masters programs), post-bacc (NIH? or other post-bacc program), a diy post-bacc with some upper level courses at my state school (would taking it at my community college matter? It would be cheaper), or take the GRE and do an SMP? Or Both? Maybe the SMP after the diy-postbacc after I regain some confidence in taking science courses? Would an SMP be beneficial at all for a DO applicant? Most importantly, do I have a chance? Any/all advice and constructive criticism is appreciated!

Thank you so much! Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

Members don't see this ad.

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

Hello, I am senior at a top LAC school graduating this coming summer as a non-science major.
I have completed most of my prereqs, but not all (mainly physics II, but I have also yet to take many upper level sciences courses).

I talked to my pre-med advisor, and she suggested PA school, mainly due to my low grades. My sGPA is a 3.0, and cGPA is a 3.2. I have two C's- one in Multivariable calculus, and a C+ in Organic Chemistry I (both from freshman year). My other science grades are mainly B/B+. I feel if I could focus on just the sciences instead of doubling with my non-science major courses, I could perform significantly better. ECs can be improved with more shadowing/clinical hours, but I have tons of volunteering, mission trips, vibrant extracurriculars with leadership positions, and two summers of research. After a lot of soul searching and conversations with my PA and my PI, who is an MD, I have decided that I still want to pursue medicine, but I am open to DO programs. I have yet to take the MCAT, but will be studying for it intensely and hope to have a competitive score by next Fall.

With my stats/situation, should I do a grad program (for example, Johns Hopkins masters programs), post-bacc (NIH? or other post-bacc program), a diy post-bacc with some upper level courses at my state school (would taking it at my community college matter? It would be cheaper), or take the GRE and do an SMP? Or Both? Maybe the SMP after the diy-postbacc after I regain some confidence in taking science courses? Would an SMP be beneficial at all for a DO applicant? Most importantly, do I have a chance? Any/all advice and constructive criticism is appreciated!

Thank you so much! Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.