Post bacc, SMP, or Biomedical Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dj123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I need some advice/input on trying to figure out if a post-bacc, SMP, or MS in Biomedical Science is best for me. My Ug GPA is 2.9 :( and and I am currently takin a GRE prep course and will take the GRE early June. I have about 100 volunteer hours and my goal is to eventually have a competitive app for med school. I spoke to the director of Pre-med Post-bacc program at UNCG and she told me that I should look for a SMP since I took all the prerequisites so I can have a grad GPA. I've already stated applying to Barry University Biomedical program, Midwestern Biomedical program, LECOM Biomedcal program, University of SC Biomedical program, Mississippi College Biomedical program, and George Mason Biomedical certificate.

Here are my UG grades:
BioI/Lab: B/B
General ChemI/Lab: B/A
BioII/Lab:A/B
ChemI/Lab: B/A
BioIII/Lab: A/B
Genetics/ Lab: C/B
ChemII/Lab: C/C
OrgoI/Lab: C/A
PhysicsI/Lab: C/B
MicoBio/Lab: B/A
OrgoII/Lab: B/B
PhysicsII/Lab: B/A
Vetebrate Embry: C
BiochemI/Lab: B/B
Medical Parasitology :C
BiochemII/Lab: B/A

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Post-bacc first to get GPA around 3.2, then I'd advise taking the MCAT since it holds a lot more weight than the GRE in SMP's and programs made for getting people into med school. IMO, if you are unbiased between DO and MD, then doing a DO "SMP" program (usually within the DO school itself) can help get you into a DO program much quicker in your case than the traditional route.