Post-bacc transfer to a better school? Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

badsweater

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all.

I got my BA in Journalism from Wayne State University (Detroit) in 2015 and have recently decided to go to medical school. I'm taking my first few post-bacc classes at Wayne State now, but I'm considering a move to the University of Michigan to finish them.

U of M is a better undergrad school than Wayne State by pretty much every measure, though both have good med schools. I'm thinking of changing because I don't think Wayne State gives the impression of academic rigor quite like U of M does. It would be really nice to show med schools that I can do well in a more rigorous environment.

My undergrad GPA was solid (3.5), and none of that was science (Journalism major, remember?) so I'm sort of working with a blank slate. I've always had a strength in science (35 on the ACT) and I'm doing very well in the low-level classes I'm taking now. I'm really feeling good about moving to a more rigorous environment.

Price difference is pretty much negligible.

Is it worth it to move to a more prestigious school? Does it matter? Is it a good idea?


Another consideration: I did my first year of undergrad at Kalamazoo College, which is pretty well-respected. I'm worried that med schools might see my decision to transfer to Wayne State as shying away from a rigorous environment. If so, I'd like to offset that if possible.