Post bacc- UIC or Dominican

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks. I know you guys can't really completely help me out here, but Im kind of in a tough situation right now and was looking for advice from some fellow premeds to help ease this dilemma.

I'm currently taking my prereqs at UIC because I got a BA in psych with no formal science background. I also got accepted into Dominican's post bacc program. I'm gonna finish up both gen chem 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, and my full year of bio at UIC.

However, in considering finishing my requirements at Dominican because I'll have access to the committee letters and some good connects, which would help me get into medical school.

The thing is this: at UIC I would be taking the traditional organic chem 1 and 2 sequence, with a 200 level bio class of choice. On the other hand, at Dominican, they do this thing where you take a class called Organic chemistry biological focus for one semester, then biochemistry the next. While this sounds like a good plan, and might set me apart from the traditional applicant who does solely orgo, I'm kind of worried that the mcat might cover some of that organic chemistry material that i may or may not cover by taking the Dominican sequence.

What are your opinions, can anyone who's taken the mcat give me an opinion

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools require 2 semesters of ochem as prereq, and many strongly suggest biochem (which will be on the new mcat). Perhaps you should stick with UIC and take their biochem as your 200 lvl bio class

Nobody has taken the new MCAT yet. The old MCAT did not have biochemistry outside of as a minor subject in Biological Sciences. Classwork has never been useful in preparing you for the MCAT, however. It can give you a high GPA, which is necessary for med school admission, but you prepare for the MCAT using specific test prep materials rather than classwork. These materials are made by companies such as Examkrackers, The Princeton Review, or The Berkeley Review. They will cover 100% of the organic chemistry and biochem you need to know for the test.