post-baccalaureate question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRJME

Future Doctor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a post-baccalaureate, which do you think would be best: to retake a course or to take an upper division course? For example I received a B in my general bio course. Should I retake the gen bio class or take upper division molecular genetics?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

DRJME said:
As a post-baccalaureate, which do you think would be best: to retake a course or to take an upper division course? For example I received a B in my general bio course. Should I retake the gen bio class or take upper division molecular genetics?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Take an upper level course. To retake a B would be silly and a waste of time.

OSUdoc08 said:
Take an upper level course. To retake a B would be silly and a waste of time.

yet, if the grade were a C or lower, it makes a lot of sense to retake a class. no matter what people tell you, realize, retaking a class and getting a beter grade is the fastest way to improve your AACOMAS gpa for DO schools. since the old grad will not be factored in when they calculate your gpa.

a friend of mine was in a similar situation, graduating with a 2.6 science gpa in a science heavy major. he had the option of taking upper level science courses, or re-taking courses he already took. 1 year of postbacc, retaking the classes he had C's or lower in, his gpa is now a 3.3 and is sitting on multiple acceptances. 8 bad grades replaced with 8 A's, that can be a huge boost and make the difference. my own story isn't all that different.

so make the decision based on your own situation, and consider the big picture.

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
They still see the old grades.

true, but they prescreen based on gpas. the number.

even when they consider your entire application, sure they'll look at inidividual classes, major, etc. but when it really comes down to it, stats helps. everything else being the same, and literally since its the same person, a higher gpa undoubtedly helps.

i've talked to adcom members at several schools and asked them if they treated an applicant any differently for having a gpa that was assisted by retaking classes, and i've been assured, you get evaluated based on your AACOMAS gpa, no matter how you earned it. so in terms of the actual number, whether someone got a 3.5 by getting all A's and B's the first time around or they got a 3.5 by retaking a whole bunch of classes they did poorly on the first time, it doesn't matter, its the same as far as the strength of the gpa goes. but obviously, this whole discussions is contingent upon doing well. you have to do well in your classes, whether you're retaking them or your taking something else.

Thanks for the advice!