Post-baccs and committee letters

Started by Gabby
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gabby

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to be doing my post-bacc informally at two different colleges because of time and money. Am I required to have a committee letter before I apply to med school? If so, will most pre-health advisor at the unversity even consider writing one if the person takes half the prereqs at another school? And if I'm not required to submit a committee letter, will regular LORs be sufficient?
 
Gabby said:
I'm going to be doing my post-bacc informally at two different colleges because of time and money. Am I required to have a committee letter before I apply to med school? If so, will most pre-health advisor at the unversity even consider writing one if the person takes half the prereqs at another school? And if I'm not required to submit a committee letter, will regular LORs be sufficient?


good question....i'm in the same position.
 
Selisa said:
good question....i'm in the same position.


The common criteria for this is . . . if you are able to get a committee letter, you should have one. Many of the secondaries you see will read something like this:

1. Please provide a commitee letter from your undergraduate institution (this will also take care of individual letters of rec)
2. If you cannot provide a committee letter, please explain why not. Have LOR writers send letters directly to school.

Many people can't get a committee letter for whatever reason - there is no committee, you don't qualify because you didn't take enough credits, etc. I think most med schools realize this. The big kicker is when you come from somewhere that does have a committee and you don't get one. I think that's a red flag for the schools.

As far as what you need to do to qualify for a committee letter, it depends on the institution. Very variable here.