Post Bachelors in preparation for PhD application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ITALA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering applying to PhD programs and found that some undergraduate Psychology coursework is a prerequisite, and I do not have any, since my bachelor's degree was in Business. The schools in my state do not seem to have post-bachelors programs, and going out of state will be very expensive. However in order to take classes I actually need to be enrolled in some sort of a program to be eligible to receive financial aid. Has anyone else encountered the same problem? Any solutions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering applying to PhD programs and found that some undergraduate Psychology coursework is a prerequisite, and I do not have any, since my bachelor's degree was in Business. The schools in my state do not seem to have post-bachelors programs, and going out of state will be very expensive. However in order to take classes I actually need to be enrolled in some sort of a program to be eligible to receive financial aid. Has anyone else encountered the same problem? Any solutions? Thanks in advance for your help.

are you trying to get in a clinical phd program? do you have any research experience? if not, I would volunteer at your university for RA work at your Psych. dept. that would be the most important thing for you to do to gain Research experience.

As for the post bac programs. i am not sure, may be you could save $$ by enrolling on psych classes if permitted? or apply for a second bachelor and study psych then once you have taken the classes you think you need drop out. I could be wrong about the whole droping out thing. so may be someone else might know if dropping out by not finishing your second bachelor would look bad on your transcripts. anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently learned from an admissions counselor that The New School Psychology MA program accepts people without a psychology background. If you are keen on going straight into clinical and know that's what you want, if you prove yourself to be competitive in the New School MA program you cld gain acceptance into their clinical program. Cld be one way to bypass the psych prereqs. Alternatively u cld leave with the MA and apply to funded phd programs. Downside New School is competitive to get into and its expensive if you are not offered a scholarship.

Thank you very much, everyone, for your answers. I will take everything said into the consideration!

My solution was to get a job at a university and then take classes as an employee. Both of the universities I've worked at have had this as a benefit. At the first it was free, now I'm at a 66% discount.

Also the schools in my area don't accept people for second bachelors or post-bac. If you're not an employee, you have to take "open enrollment" classes which means you can only take classes with spots open after all the real students enroll. Might not be such a problem for the prereqs though, as those tend to be large classes. I feel pretty lucky because the school I work at is really competitive for undergrad admission and I can take classes without being admitted. Of course I can get As because I'm a million years older than my classmates and ever so much more mature. Was I ever 18? I can't remember.

I am an employee at the University too, but I simply can't take classes and work full time. How on Earth did you manage?

I pretty much live on campus for 12+ hours a day. I also made it clear when I took the position that this was a priority for me. I try to take things that fit into my schedule, but I'm lucky to be pretty much unmonitored. I just make sure I do my 8-9 hours in the lab and sneak out for classes whenever around that. My PI is a workaholic so he's here 12 hours a day himself, so he pretty much has me when he needs me. Part of the deal is that when we're doing certain drug trials I'm on call 24/7, so it all works out.

Well, I certainly admire you for such dedication. You certainly found the right job for this. :) Thanks for your input!