post bacs for career changer low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

divajazzerina

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will be graduating next month from U of Michigan, with a BFA in Dance and BS in Kinesiology. I fall into grey areas for postbac career changer programs for 2 reasons.

1- my science degree only required gen chem 1 (no lab) , physics 1, and bio 1. So i've taken SOME pre-reqs, obviously not all, and most programs that I've talked to would make me retake the chem for the lab (whatever, i'm fine with that.)

2- I have a 2.975 GPA ... it's such a frustrating number. Since I have 2 degrees I have a boat load of credits, so it will take some work to move it.

Considering MOST career changer post-bacs have a minimum GPA of 3.0. I was wondering what post-bac programs you think i'd have a shot at.
I have a lot of volunteer and shadowing experience, and a lot of extra curriculars and I've always had 2-3 jobs and mostly paid my own way.(the time crunch is what hurt my GPA the most- I never had the time to put in the effort my classes needed - bad move in hindsight.)
-I might also add that i will only be applying to D.O schools when the time comes.

Advice much appreciated.:D

Members don't see this ad.

Will be graduating next month from U of Michigan, with a BFA in Dance and BS in Kinesiology. I fall into grey areas for postbac career changer programs for 2 reasons.

1- my science degree only required gen chem 1 (no lab) , physics 1, and bio 1. So i've taken SOME pre-reqs, obviously not all, and most programs that I've talked to would make me retake the chem for the lab (whatever, i'm fine with that.)

2- I have a 2.975 GPA ... it's such a frustrating number. Since I have 2 degrees I have a boat load of credits, so it will take some work to move it.

Considering MOST career changer post-bacs have a minimum GPA of 3.0. I was wondering what post-bac programs you think i'd have a shot at.
I have a lot of volunteer and shadowing experience, and a lot of extra curriculars and I've always had 2-3 jobs and mostly paid my own way.(the time crunch is what hurt my GPA the most- I never had the time to put in the effort my classes needed - bad move in hindsight.)
-I might also add that i will only be applying to D.O schools when the time comes.

Advice much appreciated.:D

I think you may have taken too many prereqs for the formal programs, but if you talk to them and they say otherwise, then there you have it.

The GPA will likely keep you out of the top formal programs, but they can occasionally surprise you, so it's always worth a call to explain your situation.

To be honest with you, if you're in-state at Michigan (nice football season, by the way) and I'm guessing you are, why not just stay an extra year there and take the courses super-cheap? Michigan is a great school with strong science departments and you wouldn't have to worry about moving or hassles with a new academic administration. Good luck.

I think you may have taken too many prereqs for the formal programs, but if you talk to them and they say otherwise, then there you have it.

The GPA will likely keep you out of the top formal programs, but they can occasionally surprise you, so it's always worth a call to explain your situation.

To be honest with you, if you're in-state at Michigan (nice football season, by the way) and I'm guessing you are, why not just stay an extra year there and take the courses super-cheap? Michigan is a great school with strong science departments and you wouldn't have to worry about moving or hassles with a new academic administration. Good luck.

I'm fine with not getting into the TOP formal programs. I'm Michigan born and raised, and i want to get the hell out. (football is making this easier:mad:) .. What programs would I still have a chance at? (ie- what are the OTHER programs... ) Am I right is gathering that UNC Greensboro might be one of them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm fine with not getting into the TOP formal programs. I'm Michigan born and raised, and i want to get the hell out. (football is making this easier:mad:) .. What programs would I still have a chance at? (ie- what are the OTHER programs... ) Am I right is gathering that UNC Greensboro might be one of them?

Yes, that is correct -- UNC could be good for you. Most programs have 3.0 requirements at least, but rounding may be an issue here. Technically, if you round to two decimal places, you do have a 3.0 -- if that's the case, a bunch of programs open up to you and you should apply very broadly to have the best chance.

Yes, that is correct -- UNC could be good for you. Most programs have 3.0 requirements at least, but rounding may be an issue here. Technically, if you round to two decimal places, you do have a 3.0 -- if that's the case, a bunch of programs open up to you and you should apply very broadly to have the best chance.

Great! I appreciate your help! Any other programs that come to mind? Though I'd like to relocate I guess I'd also consider UNECOM distance education, ideally I'd like a little more structure though.

I'd love anyone elses opinion if they have one also?!??! please!!?!??!:love:

Great! I appreciate your help! Any other programs that come to mind? Though I'd like to relocate I guess I'd also consider UNECOM distance education, ideally I'd like a little more structure though.

I'd love anyone elses opinion if they have one also?!??! please!!?!??!:love:

Go to this website:

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

Apply to any and every program that does not specify a 3.0 or higher GPA requirement.

Additionally, if you see one that does specify a 3.0 but you really, really like it, call that program and ask if your GPA will be good enough for them to accept your application.

To be honest with you, your chances of getting accepted to a truly structured program are slim, so make sure you look into taking the informal route, as well. Some universities will give you far more assistance in that endeavor than others.