Post-Call Headaches (literally)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oblareneg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just started Intern year, and every post-call night I've been getting bad headaches that last the entire evening. I never get headaches otherwise. At first I thought it was related to drinking caffeine at night, but the last few calls I've backed down without any change. I'm pretty sure it is related to sleep, but so far Tylenol and ibuprofen don't seem to touch it.

Anyone else have, or heard of, this problem? Any advice on how to deal with it? Normally I'd suck it up, but it's been interfering with studying, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a silly question, but have you been eating and drinking (water?)

Most of my headaches on-call were from either hunger or lack of keeping up on water. You are moving around a bit more than you are sleeping, and you are shedding more calories and water than you would if you were asleep.

Just started Intern year, and every post-call night I've been getting bad headaches that last the entire evening. I never get headaches otherwise. At first I thought it was related to drinking caffeine at night, but the last few calls I've backed down without any change. I'm pretty sure it is related to sleep, but so far Tylenol and ibuprofen don't seem to touch it.

Anyone else have, or heard of, this problem? Any advice on how to deal with it? Normally I'd suck it up, but it's been interfering with studying, etc.

I had a similar problem at first, not related to coffee because I don't drink it. Found that better hydration was key. Also more sleep (obviously) and less stress, both of which should naturally improve for you as the year progresses.

it's from STRESS

It´s probably stress related. Tell the nurses to let you get some quality sleep unless it is absolutely necessary to call you. :)

Are you coming home post call and sleeping?

I agree with others that dehydration is probably a contributor but I always found that I was much more groggy and headachy (and I am prone to them) if I slept too long (or at all) post call. I tried to say awake as long as I could - or only take micronaps and go to bed relatively early.