Post-doc applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for your reply!! My advisor did give me letters from past students, except that I have done my statements/letters of interest and then ...avoided writing to write these recommendation letters. The depressing things in having to write these letters is that I realize now how much time I wasted on stuff that 'don't count' at the expense of writing papers..I simply did not know from the get go how important papers are. I now have to write the letters and I can see from past students who ended up being successful and who didn't. I am stuck with framing every piece of my experience in a positive light (instead of making it sound like an excuse) for why I wasn't productive.

If you don't mind me asking, what was it that you were doing? Please do not share specifics if you do not feel comfortable doing so, but are you sure it was completely unproductive?

Also, I am not sure how helpful it is to focus this much on what other people did, as the social comparison does not seem to be making it easier to write the letters. You might be downplaying your own work.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind me asking, what was it that you were doing? Please do not share specifics if you do not feel comfortable doing so, but are you sure it was completely unproductive?

Also, I am not sure how helpful it is to focus this much on what other people did, as the social comparison does not seem to be making it easier to write the letters. You might be downplaying your own work.

Agreed. Research is of course important (and crucial if you're looking for a research-heavy postdoc and/or academic position), but pursuing other activities definitely shouldn't automatically be counted as unproductive. As PsychMode mentioned, much rests on what these other activities were, and how they potentially tie into (or led you to) your current career goals.

I will (without specific) say that I do have a background in research that goes back for years. However, in my graduate program I worked on a treatment grant and most of my activities involved working on the grant (conducting assessments, training others in conducting assessment, IRB submissions and ammendments, designing and implementing an observation task, delivering CBT etc.). This may sound as the norm but it was super intense as most of the time we were understaffed. When it came to research, I had to first defend my thesis and pass the quals before I actually could work on writing..by the time you know it, the Dissertation needed to be done (almost there). Also, we were discouraged from writing papers that involved simple stuff, so my research (little that I have) is in Mplus and involved testing theoretical models. I do believe that I have great experience and hopefully the explanations that I've provided will put things into perspective. I also have stuff in preparation, so I wrote about that, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Our didactic last week was on post-docs, jobs, and licensing, etc. However, both of the main presenters came directly into staff postions after internship, rather than doing any formal training post-doc. Both agreed that they did this because they had little desire to be bossed around by potential axis II psychologists for another year...lol

We have 4 interns here and think only one is applying to post-doc training programs...

erg, I'm confused. :confused: don't you have to do supervised post-doc hours to get licensed (in most states anyways). did the folks not get licensed? what am i missing here. how would working a staff position with supervision from a psychologist be different than a formal postdoc position with supervision from a psychologist?

Read the licensure laws for the state in which you wish to become licensed. In many states you can be employed in "exempt" settings (eg: schools, government settings) or in a position for which your register as a "psychological assistant" or "associate" and where you have supervision provided by a licensed psychologist with certain specifications--and you acquire your required hours within that job. The advantage to this path is that you are employed and assuming you satisfy your employer, you do not have to be, again, looking for a position within 12 months.

erg, I'm confused. :confused: don't you have to do supervised post-doc hours to get licensed (in most states anyways). did the folks not get licensed? what am i missing here. how would working a staff position with supervision from a psychologist be different than a formal postdoc position with supervision from a psychologist?

So long as someone is willing to "supervise" you...its a post-doc. The typical VA med center has over a dozen psychologists. So, you just have to be "supervised" by one of them until you are licensed (The VA gives you two years to do this). In Alabama, that could be as little as 4 months or so (no postodoc requirment). In New Jersey, it would take alot longer. But you can work in the VA with any state license, so alot of people will choose states with the least amount of barriers. For example, tons of ppl working in Mississippi VAs are licensed in Alabama.

In a unlicensed, entry-level VA staff position, your pay grade is a GS-11 (which is sig higher than the standard VA post-doc salary) and the focus is on your job/service...not continued training/learning. You are provided with supervision, someone cosigns your notes...and thats it. That is, its a job that happens to have regular meetings with your designated "supervisor".

Last edited:
So long as someone is willing to "supervise" you...its a post-doc. The typical VA med center has over a dozen psychologists. So, you just have to be "supervised" by ne of them until you are licensed (The VA gives you two years to do this). In Alabama, that could be as little as 4 months or so (no postodoc requirment). In New Jersey, it would take alot longer. But you can work in the VA with any state license, so alot of people will choose states with the least amount of barriers. For example, tons of ppl working in Mississippi VAs are licensed in Alabama.

In a unlicensed, entry-level staff position, you are your pay grade is a GS-11 (which is sig higher than standard VA post-doc salary) and the focus is on your job/service...not continued training/learning. You are provided with supervision, someone cosigns your notes...and thats it.

This. And while my cohort is much different from ergs (all of the neuropsych interns, and at least 2-3 of the non-neuro people, are planning on pursuing formal post-docs), I can definitely see the appeal of going straight into the working word via an "informal" post-doc/on the job supervision.

One of the main advantages to a formal post-doc are that it can be easier to keep track of your supervision hours and duties performed, especially if you end up moving from one state to the next within the first few years of your career and need to provide proof that you've obtained adequate supervision. It's also (theoretically) a required step for boarding in clinical neuropsych, as well as some other specialities I believe; you can apply for boarding without a formal post-doc to an extent, but the onus is on you to prove that you've received training consistent with what's required. Personally, for me, in a field as complex as neuropsych has become, I'm fine with having additional training in a highly autonomous setting (and this after having done quite a bit of neuropsych in grad school and now as an intern). However, as I mentioned earlier, I can definitely understand the desire to forego two more years of reduced pay and reduced independence.

This. And while my cohort is much different from ergs (all of the neuropsych interns, and at least 2-3 of the non-neuro people, are planning on pursuing formal post-docs), I can definitely see the appeal of going straight into the working word via an "informal" post-doc/on the job supervision.

One of the main advantages to a formal post-doc are that it can be easier to keep track of your supervision hours and duties performed, especially if you end up moving from one state to the next within the first few years of your career and need to provide proof that you've obtained adequate supervision. It's also (theoretically) a required step for boarding in clinical neuropsych, as well as some other specialities I believe; you can apply for boarding without a formal post-doc to an extent, but the onus is on you to prove that you've received training consistent with what's required. Personally, for me, in a field as complex as neuropsych has become, I'm fine with having additional training in a highly autonomous setting (and this after having done quite a bit of neuropsych in grad school and now as an intern). However, as I mentioned earlier, I can definitely understand the desire to forego two more years of reduced pay and reduced independence.

Within the VA, my sense is that there is little evidence that a post-doc increases your competitivness for obtaining a staff position. I recall that both presenters at our didactic last week beat out mutltiple other applicants who had post-docs in health/primary care psychology (the positions they were interviewing for).

Within the VA, my sense is that there is little evidence that a post-doc increases your competitivness for obtaining a staff position. I recall that both presenters at our didactic last week beat out mutltiple other applicants who had post-docs in health/primary care psychology (the positions they were interviewing for).

I think it is very speciality specific and VA/location dependant. Obviously most/all neuropsych positions will require a 2-yr postdoc/fellowship, though I have also seen a strong preference/requirement for positions in Primary Care (VA) and Health Psych (non-VA hospital).

I personally think one year (or two for neuro or rehab) of post-doctoral training is very important for anyone who wants to work in a speciality area. The amount of additional training and mentorship you can get is far far different than what you would get when you take a staff position somewhere. I know there are some opportunities for "junior faculty" to line up mentorship for their first job, but this can be very site dependant, and it is still not close to the amount and type of didactic training and mentorship you would receive at a formal post-doc/fellowship.*

*For full disclosure I'm completing a 2yr fellowship, so I'm probably not completely objective about this topic.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't at all trying to say that a post-doc will automatically make someone more competitive for a VA position. As T4C mentioned, I'd imagine that can vary quite substantially (just like pretty much everything else) from VA to VA, and from specialty to specialty. I don't think any of the neuropsychologists at my VA are boarded, although I believe the younger hires are eligible and contemplating the process. Haven't yet asked them if it's been "strongly suggested" that they do so, or if they're considering it for other reasons.

I do know that many academic medical centers will require that new neuropsych hires be board-eligible and planning on obtaining certification (our medical school explicitly states this in their employment notices). But as we know, the academic medical world can be quite different than just about any other environment in many respects.

All in all, I do think a formal post-doc can significantly increase your competitiveness on the job market (at least in part based solely on networking done at your post-doc site). But I also don't at all feel that a post-doc is necessary for employability or competitiveness in many/most respects, or that those with a formal post-doc will have a universal leg up on those who opted not to pursue that path.

I'm simply planning on pursuing a formal post-doc both, as I mentioned above, because I'm quite ok with receiving addititonal formal neuropsych training, and because I want to support the specialty boarding process as a whole.

I do know that many academic medical centers will require that new neuropsych hires be board-eligible and planning on obtaining certification (our medical school explicitly states this in their employment notices). But as we know, the academic medical world can be quite different than just about any other environment in many respects.

This is true at many/most academic medical centers now. I think one of the major reasons is that boarding is seen as standard practice for physicians, and it is viewed as "odd" if a faculty member is not boarded. Every hospital I have spoken to so far about positions has been clear about their board eligibility requirement and the fact they expect the person to actively pursue boarding.

I am a strong supporter of the boarding process, and I think every psychologist that practices within a specialty should be boarded. I plan on sitting for the neuro exam this Fall. I'm on the fence if I am also going to pursue my Rehabilitation Psychology boarding at the same time, it all depends on how much support I get from my employer.

ahhh i see so the answer is working an unlicensed staff position you get "supervision" from a psychologist and at a formal postdoc you get supervision from a psychologist. I imagine there's a fair bit of variability though (at least outside the VA), like some people in staff positions are getting more supervision than others in formal pds. e.g., I have a friend who during her formal npsych post doc on a pm&r service at a private hospital barely received any supervision, whereas I, in an informal private practice psych assistant position, am getting quite a bit more (supervision and money :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't many licensing requirements have a required number of supervision hours or a required ratio of face-to-face to supervision hours, though?

I believe most, if not all, states have a required number supervision hours in addition to a required number of supervised practice/experience hours, yeah. Usually I believe it's around 1 to 2 hours of supervision per week.

On a more personal note, got my first notification (an offer to interview) back today, which was a pleasant surprise--I wasn't expecting to hear anything until the first or second week of January at the earliest. Hope things are going well for everyone, and here's to clearing one more hurdle before we're finally "done."

Last edited:
I believe most, if not all, states have a required number supervision hours in addition to a required number of supervised practice/experience hours, yeah. Usually I believe it's around 1 to 2 hours of supervision per week.

On a more personal note, got my first notification (an offer to interview) back today, which was a pleasant surprise--I wasn't expecting to hear anything until the first or second week of January at the earliest. Hope things are going well for everyone, and here's to clearing one more hurdle before we're finally "done."

I wonder when most sites notify for interviews?

I wonder when most sites notify for interviews?

I've heard from three of my sites with offers thus far, which reflects about 1/4 of my total. I'd imagine the next two weeks will be prime "contact time" for us neuro folks, but that's just a hunch based on the fact that most of the fellowships conduct interviews at INS.

For APPIC sites, I'd think they'll probably notify by the first week of February at the latest, although that's a complete guess. Much of that would of course depend on when each site conducts its interviews.

I am meeting with a practice at the end of the month. They are flying my wife up too. Very excited to see what comes of the opp.

I am meeting with a practice at the end of the month. They are flying my wife up too. Very excited to see what comes of the opp.

Best of luck, erg. If they're paying for you and your wife's travel, I'd tentatively say that's already a good sign of what things might be like there.

Application: Applicants for the position should send the following:
1. A description of your research program and career goals (no more than 2 single-spaced pages),
2. Current Curriculum Vitae
3. Three letters of reference/recommendation
4. Reprints of your best publications (maximum of 2)

I am applying to a postdoc that requires the above materials. What i don't know is if to sent the materials in one package or should the letters be sent separately by the recommenders in separate envelopes?? Anyone can advise?? Thanks.

Application:Applicants for the position should send the following:
1. A description of your research program and career goals (no more than 2 single-spaced pages),

I am applying to a postdoc that requires the above materials. What i don't know is if to sent the materials in one package or should the letters be sent separately by the recommenders in separate envelopes?? Anyone can advise?? Thanks.

I emailed the postdoc directors at each of the sites to which I applied and asked what their preferences were regarding delivery. Most wanted everything emailed to them, with letters of rec being sent directly by the writiers as signed PDF attachments. The few that wanted mailed materials asked that they all be sent in a single packet with, as you've said, rec letters in separate sealed-and-signed envelopes.

Application:Applicants for the position should send the following:

Contact the program and ask them their preference. When I went through it, programs actually tended to prefer that they are sent directly from the letter-writers, or they didn't care.

For the neuropsych people-I was wondering if you would disclose what sites have contacted you for interviews. I am impatiently waiting and wondering...

For the neuropsych people-I was wondering if you would disclose what sites have contacted you for interviews. I am impatiently waiting and wondering...

Just echoing previous posts- what sites have people been offered interviews? Congrats!

Just echoing previous posts- what sites have people been offered interviews? Congrats!
I agree! For the Neuropsych folks, can you please share which sites have extended offers to interview? I've sent out a ton of applications and have only heard back from two sites, so I'm anxiously checking my email! I have heard back (and already completed interviews) with Tampa VAMC and Harvard Partners (Brigham & Women's/Mass General). I wish everyone the best in this crazy process. We will get through it... yet again!

I'd been replying individually via PM, although I suppose there isn't a huge threat to anonymity posting this here instead :)

So for the neuropsych folks, here are the places that have contacted me thus far about interviews:

Tampa (Haley) VA
Houston VA
Johns Hopkins PM&R
Barrow Neurological Institute
South Texas VA

Still waiting on news from 9 other sites.

Best of luck, everyone. Here's to eventually cheers-ing when we all end up exactly where we'd like to be.

I recently submitted 10 applications for postdoc. Fingers crossed that I won't have to apply to anymore. :)

I'm looking at a variety of university counseling centers, as well as a couple VA's. About half my sites (including both VA's) have significant emphases on administrative, consultative, and/or program development training.

Heard back from 1 site so far - interview at Tufts University Counseling Center!

Hi, everyone!

Over the past 2 weeks, I've submitted 7 postdoc applications. Now that I'm done my first (and hopefully last) round of submissions and have nothing left to do but wait, craziness is starting to set in. I remember this feeling all too well from last year. I swing from feeling fairly competitive and well-prepared to wondering if I've been deluding myself and if I'll get any interviews. It's a delightful phase. :rolleyes:

I'm just hoping that my first interview offer will come soon and snap me out of this so I can move on to more realistic worries.

Hi everyone,
I am in the same boat, waiting. I've applied to clinical (non-neuro) sites. I understand there is a pretty small pool here, unlike the internship thread (thank G-d that's over). Anyone heard from San Francisco VA? Thank you in advance.

Received my second interview offer today - VA National Center for Organization Development in Cincinnati. So excited!

I hope everyone is doing well in this process so far. Can't wait for us to have a year where we DON'T have to apply for a new position. :scared:

Received my second interview offer today - VA National Center for Organization Development in Cincinnati. So excited!

I hope everyone is doing well in this process so far. Can't wait for us to have a year where we DON'T have to apply for a new position. :scared:

Sounded like an amazing experience. Not something I think I could do right now, but amazing nonetheless. Good luck. Its one alot of work.

Hi Postdoc peeps.

I am applying for Health Psych fellowships. So far I have received one rejection post-phone interview at MUSC.

Interview offered at Henry Ford Hospital and Mayo Clinic (Mayo full day interview includes a 30 minute job talk! argh...).

I am excited to hear more, but concerned about travel expenses at this point. The flight to Minnesota was not cheap.

Finished my internship last year at a VA and applied for both post-docs and GS-11 positions. Accepted GS-11 position and am applying for licensure in Alabama and will continue with supervision for licensure in state that requires post-doc hours. Cleared to take EPPP from the board. Very happy with my decision

Only applied to NY sites. Interviews offered at Albert Einstein and Brooklyn VA. Gluck everyone!

Hey guys (especially senior members),
I need some guidance on this situation...I received an interview at one of the top hospitals in the country (a career changing opportunity) (1). I also received an interview at a solid program but not really a name brand medical center (2). Both interview beginning of Feb., but from what I gather because of INS in Montreal, I get the impression that #1 will be more of a late notifier of final decisions compared to #2. Both are not from my understanding in the "neuro match." If #2 gives me a quick offer do I accept then if #1 dream program offers later acccept that too...and then call #2 back and say sorry and make up an excuse why I need to rescind???? Is that even allowed or is it just considered bad form (i.e. since they are both not in the "match")?

I know this is a hell of a problem to have ;) (I've been knocking on wood this whole time!)...but I am not a wheeling and dealing type of person and this stuff has been bothering me. This whole process seems sooo sketchy.

I need some guidance on this situation...I received an interview at one of the top hospitals in the country (a career changing opportunity) (1). I also received an interview at a solid program but not really a name brand medical center (2). Both interview beginning of Feb., but from what I gather because of INS in Montreal, I get the impression that #1 will be more of a late notifier of final decisions compared to #2. Both are not from my understanding in the "neuro match." If #2 gives me a quick offer do I accept then if #1 dream program offers later acccept that too...and then call #2 back and say sorry and make up an excuse why I need to rescind???? Is that even allowed or is it just considered bad form (i.e. since they are both not in the "match")?

I know this is a hell of a problem to have ;) (I've been knocking on wood this whole time!)...but I am not a wheeling and dealing type of person and this stuff has been bothering me. This whole process seems sooo sketchy.

I definitely wouldn't accept and then rescind. If they aren't participating in the match, then technically you could still do so until you've signed a contract, but it would very be bad form regardless of what excuse you might be able to come up with (not to mention that the excuse might very well be a lie, which is also bad form).

I think it's fairly standard to "sit" on an offer for perhaps a week or so while you wait to hear back from #1. I believe earlier in this same thread, T4C and others gave advice on how they've worded/would word such a request. Sites know/assume you're going to be having multiple interviews and possibly fielding (or waiting to hear back regarding) multiple offers; I'm certain they're used to applicants requesting a little extra time to weigh their options before committing one way or the other.

Did anyone apply to any child sites in the Los Angeles area? So far I've only got notices that sites have received my application

I am removed from the neuropsych postdoc search a bit, but isn't there a new rule to manage these kinds of offers?

If they both are in the match, I question if you COULD even get an early offer from one. If you did get an early offer (from a non-matching site?), I believe there is a mechanism for you to let your top match site know and give them an opportunity to counteroffer.

Oh - don't accept and then cancel. You may run into legal problems. If you avoid those, you will run into reputation problems. If they are both not in the match process, you unfortunately are bound by the same issue that every other psychologist seeking a postdoc or academic job is facing, which is what you just described.

Since they are in close proximity, I think you can let the other site know that you have an offer and give them a chance to counter. If they don't like you enough to commit, you should have your answer. If you want to risk it, you can wait...it might hold some clout with that site that you turned down an offer to remain in the running for their position. However, if it were me, I'd take the sure thing unless this "dream job" is going to give you better career opportunities.

Note: I'd be sure both of these meet requirements for ABPP-CN Board certification if they are not participating in the match (if you want forensics like your name suggests).

Neither one are in the "neuro" match...and I did not hear/read anywhere that they need to follow the new appic unification date (that's actually just a suggestion if they are not in the match). I was just wondering if it was bad form or actually something that could jepordize my opportunity with both. I am completely willing to burn bridges/have site #2 have poor things to say about me because of the name/reputation of site #1. I anticipate more than a week window between offers that's why I'm thinking I'm going to need to do something more than just hold the offer from site #2 for a week.

Neither one are in the "neuro" match...and I did not hear/read anywhere that they need to follow the new appic unification date (that's actually just a suggestion if they are not in the match). I was just wondering if it was bad form or actually something that could jepordize my opportunity with both. I am completely willing to burn bridges/have site #2 have poor things to say about me because of the name/reputation of site #1. I anticipate more than a week window between offers that's why I'm thinking I'm going to need to do something more than just hold the offer from site #2 for a week.

I would do more - if you get an early offer, I would contact site 1 and let them know. If they aren't in the match, you can use it as leverage. If they like you and want to commit (which some non-match sites might be happy to do), you might get them to give you an offer earlier.

You don't want to be pushy, but you should let them know your situation. If you plan to take the other offer, you can let them know when you will decide by.

Now, if you plan to burn bridges or possibly do something illegal (if you sign a contract and try to cancel it), I would NOT let site 1 know that you are willing to do that for site 2. Makes you look bad, for good reason.

Oh - don't accept and then cancel. You may run into legal problems

Legal problems?! Yea, lets get the prosecutor that will take that case...

Legal problems?! Yea, lets get the prosecutor that will take that case...

Ok, well it might be a little bit of a stretch, but some of these places do have you sign a legally-binding contract. If it is an institution, they may take up the case.

If they don't go after you legally, they may file an ethical complaint.

If none of those things happen, reputations will suffer and depending on who "got burned" and how bad (missed out on other applicants as well given the timing), they may vigorously make it known that this person broke their contract.

I don't know, I think taking offers and then going back on your commitment is not going to result in a good outcome. Perhaps I was being a bit severe, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Ok, well it might be a little bit of a stretch, but some of these places do have you sign a legally-binding contract. If it is an institution, they may take up the case.

If they don't go after you legally, they may file an ethical complaint.

If none of those things happen, reputations will suffer and depending on who "got burned" and how bad (missed out on other applicants as well given the timing), they may vigorously make it known that this person broke their contract.

I don't know, I think taking offers and then going back on your commitment is not going to result in a good outcome. Perhaps I was being a bit severe, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm going to agree with pretty much everything you've said here and above. It might not necessarily be illegal to accept an offer and then rescind (and it happens in the "real world" all the time), but it's definitely seen as bad form much of the time. And even if program #1 has stronger reputation than #2, and thus people could understand why they'd be your first choice, that might not change the fact that people would be wary of the way you handled the situation. Neuropsych, while growing, is still a small field. The fewer bridges you can burn, the better.

Pragma I think made a great suggestion--if you receive an offer from site #2, I would most definitely contact site #1 to let them know the situation and see where you stand with them. It's essentially the same process that's now allowed to occur with match sites if you receive a non-match offer. Site #1 may not be able to provide you much information, but it's certainly work asking before making a decision one way or the other.

Forensic Neuro,
First of all, congratulations on having such a wonderful dilemma. :) Secondly, I would also handle it by calling your top site if you receive an offer from your second site. Give them a chance to counter-offer. I think that is totally appropriate form.

Again, congrats and best of luck in your negotiating!

So I'm wanting a little information on the process in general, and hoping that some people who have been through the process might have some helpful answers (and reduce my anxiety). I'm an intern at a VA, and I just submitted the last of my postdoc applications on the 15th. How long do sites generally take to offer interviews, and is there a date by which we should have heard from most of them? Given that the uniform notification date is March 14, and there are flights involved, I'd hope sooner rather than later. Also, in your experience, did sites typically let you know if you were not under consideration, or did they just not contact you at all? I've definitely appreciated the sites that sent e-mails regarding when we'd hear by. Thanks!

Hi Markro. I too got an interview from NCOD in Cincy. @Gotta. I applied to other VA's as well and have not heard one way or the other. I was told by several of the sites that they would respond with a yay or nay by January 31st.

So I'm wanting a little information on the process in general, and hoping that some people who have been through the process might have some helpful answers (and reduce my anxiety). I'm an intern at a VA, and I just submitted the last of my postdoc applications on the 15th. How long do sites generally take to offer interviews, and is there a date by which we should have heard from most of them? Given that the uniform notification date is March 14, and there are flights involved, I'd hope sooner rather than later. Also, in your experience, did sites typically let you know if you were not under consideration, or did they just not contact you at all? I've definitely appreciated the sites that sent e-mails regarding when we'd hear by. Thanks!

I've been wondering the same thing too. Does anyone know if the VA has a policy about notifying applicants that they are no longer under consideration?

I got my first two invites today. Whew - I was really sweating bullets! I was actually working on a thought record earlier today looking at the evidence for and against the prediction "I'm not going to get postdoc interviews." :D