Post-doc applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is there a clearinghouse for appcn sites? If so, it would not be that many huh?

I can't access the National Matching Service's website here at work, but I do know their match statistics show how many positions go unfilled, and I'd imagine those get posted on the website at some point. I believe the match FAQ also vaguely mentions a clearinghouse-type phase (i.e., it says something about applicants not submitting ranks still having access to the post-match vacancies listing).

On a different match-related note, anyone else have a slight freak-out session this morning since we no longer have access to our ranking lists to vouch for their accuracy? I of course looked the list over last night to be sure it was correct and certified, but I still had a very brief flash of panic when I woke up today that something might've gone wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

I just heard from the Ann Arbor VA!

No luck here with Ann Arbor. To which track did you apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to both the Mental Health track, and Women's Behavioral Health track at the A2 VA.

Also heard from the Tampa VA- Pain Fellowship today.

I can't access the National Matching Service's website here at work, but I do know their match statistics show how many positions go unfilled, and I'd imagine those get posted on the website at some point. I believe the match FAQ also vaguely mentions a clearinghouse-type phase (i.e., it says something about applicants not submitting ranks still having access to the post-match vacancies listing).

On a different match-related note, anyone else have a slight freak-out session this morning since we no longer have access to our ranking lists to vouch for their accuracy? I of course looked the list over last night to be sure it was correct and certified, but I still had a very brief flash of panic when I woke up today that something might've gone wrong.

I think it is a very very small number of sites that do not match. What I forgot is whether or not the appcn match has an old-fashioned scramble or if there is a matchII. I think it's just a clearinghouse.

I think it is a very very small number of sites that do not match. What I forgot is whether or not the appcn match has an old-fashioned scramble or if there is a matchII. I think it's just a clearinghouse.

I believe you're correct, yep. This is what the website says:

Residency programs that receive their APPCN Match results and have one or more positions left unfilled may then make other direct offers of admission (verbal or written) to applicants who remain unmatched or to applicants who did not participate in the Match. Applicants who receive their APPCN Match results and who remain unmatched may then receive other direct offers of admission.

There's also a stipulation that match sites and applicants can't contact one another until 12pm EST on match day. After that, as you've said, it sounds like it goes into clearinghouse/scramble.

I don't know about any of you, but I am finding myself having a heck of time trying "rank" the sites I believe I may receive potential offers from. I almost wish there was a match so I really didn't to turn anyone down, assuming I will have to.

I'm also concerned if I receive an offer from my #3 choice at the Noon EST notification time, and after holding it for four hours my #1 choice calls me. However, I think that circumstance would be rare. I'm also thinking it would be okay to call sites that you rated higher to see where you are on their list or if you are no longer being considered. Any ideas, or has anyone else thought of this?

I am having trouble deciding on a rank list as well. This has a lot to do with not knowing where my husband will be working next year (he's on the job market too), and having trouble choosing whether to rank a top VA site, or a top non-VA site as my 1st choice. Committing to 1 or 2 years is also a hard choice given that I do not know when/where my husband will find a job. There is a chance he could stay at his post doc and still be on the job market this time next year, so taking a 1-year post doc does not guarantee we will be in the same city in 1.5 years. arrrrgh.

I plan to contact my top choice if I receive an offer that is from a lower pick.

I had a site say they planned to let everyone know where they stand throughout the day...

I don't know about any of you, but I am finding myself having a heck of time trying "rank" the sites I believe I may receive potential offers from. I almost wish there was a match so I really didn't to turn anyone down, assuming I will have to.

I'm also concerned if I receive an offer from my #3 choice at the Noon EST notification time, and after holding it for four hours my #1 choice calls me. However, I think that circumstance would be rare. I'm also thinking it would be okay to call sites that you rated higher to see where you are on their list or if you are no longer being considered. Any ideas, or has anyone else thought of this?

When you receive an offer (on or before UNDr), it is strongly recommended that you contact your preferred sites to see where you stand. They are obligated to tell you so that you can make and informed decision. After you accept and offer you should contact remaining sites to let them know you are out of the pool. Likewise, when a position is filled, the TD is obligated to call remaining applicants and tell them so. Communication is critical to postdoc search.

When you receive an offer (on or before UNDr), it is strongly recommended that you contact your preferred sites to see where you stand. They are obligated to tell you so that you can make and informed decision. After you accept and offer you should contact remaining sites to let them know you are out of the pool. Likewise, when a position is filled, the TD is obligated to call remaining applicants and tell them so. Communication is critical to postdoc search.

I believe in the neuro match, a verbal offer is a binding contract; however, I'm not sure if this is the case for other situations. Thus, I'd definitely ask for the offer in writing (at least via email) before removing yourself from consideration elsewhere.

But yes, definitely inquire as to your status with your top sites, and then let them know if you accept an offer elsewhere as soon as it's finalized.

After you accept and offer you should contact remaining sites to let them know you are out of the pool.

Are people planning on doing this? I know this is recommended under the UND guidelines, but it feels very awkward to me, sort of like turning down someone who hasn't actually asked you out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are people planning on doing this? I know this is recommended under the UND guidelines, but it feels very awkward to me, sort of like turning down someone who hasn't actually asked you out.

I'd imagine it's likely the norm in the field, and can save sites a LOT of headaches in the front end by no longer having to worry about where to place you in their rank-order lists (remember, us applicants likely aren't the only ones having trouble constructing said lists).

Yes I think it is very important. Offers are time sensitive, and a lot can go wrong if people don't communicate properly.

I would just call or email and say you would like to be removed from consideration for the fellowship because you have accepted an offer elsewhere. That way they can update their list and make offers to people who remain interested.

I understand your concern. Such a procedure would be a bit odd if we were talking about a typical job application procedure. However, UNDr is a unique situation. Communicating with your sites is considered respectful and professional. I know of an intern who accepted an offer from her #1 site early in the day only to receive another offer after lunch from a site that just lost their top applicant. They were not amused to learn that she had already accepted elsewhere. My understanding is that they did not take the issue up with her over the phone, but that her internship TD was contacted about it (not necessarily as a scolding, but as an FYI). We operate in a small field where professional courtesy and adhering to accepted procedures is in everyone's best interest.

How important do you think name recognition is when it comes to post-docs? I interviewed at a top VA but I didn't like it as much as VA's that are less renowned. Does having a post-doc from a famous site versus a regular site make a difference when it comes to getting jobs? My ego (and all my friends who want to brag about me!:cool:) say I should take the post-doc at the big site (if offered), but I know I would be happier (and not working 60 hours/week) at a different site. What do you all think?

How important do you think name recognition is when it comes to post-docs? I interviewed at a top VA but I didn't like it as much as VA's that are less renowned. Does having a post-doc from a famous site versus a regular site make a difference when it comes to getting jobs? My ego (and all my friends who want to brag about me!:cool:) say I should take the post-doc at the big site (if offered), but I know I would be happier (and not working 60 hours/week) at a different site. What do you all think?

I struggled with this issue myself a bit in finalizing my rank order list. Ultimately, I ended up ranking most highly those sites with which I felt the most compatible. "Name" played some part, but other things you've mentioned (e.g., perceived happiness, work load) were bigger factors for me. I also sort of like the idea of being able to "blaze a path" at a relatively newer program, assuming I felt its resources met my training/career goals.

I have heard that a big name can help your career, but ultimately, at this level of advanced training, I think (hope?) that what you put into your postdoc plays a larger role than where said postdoc is completed, at least to a certain extent. This, as mentioned, of course assumes that the site meets your basic training needs. Others who've already gone through the process can feel free to correct me, of course.

I think a lot of it depends on where you want to go following post-doc. If you want to work at a big-name site, then it would make sense to do a post-doc at a big-name site. I know one thing I am considering is that I would like to go for ABPP certification (clinical health), and so knowing that while no site will prevent me from getting that certification, having a post-doc from an APA-accredited or even APA specialty accredited will make the process a lot smoother and faster. Remember, you have to deal with this site for a year or more, so make sure its a place where you won't burn out right before you get out there on your own! But I would keep your career goals in mind, since all of this work is to set up experiences for where you would like to be a proficient practitioner in the (near) future!

I hope things turned out well for everyone who participated in today's neuro match. Best of luck wherever you're headed.

Hope it worked out well for everyone in that neuro match. There were only a few good sites on the clearinghouse list i heard and a few were sought-after VAs.

Reactions: 1 user
Hope it worked out well for everyone in that neuro match. There were only a few good sites on the clearinghouse list i heard and a few were sought-after VAs.

Just checked the stats, and am happy to see there was a ~10% increase in the acceptance rate this year vs. last. Then again, this was due in part to a slightly smaller number of rank-submitting applicants, as the raw numbers of applicants matched (77 this year, 73 last year) are similar.

I don't have access to the unfilled sites (looks like there were 7 spots left open), but glad to hear they were at good places. All of the match sites to which I applied seemed solid, so I'd imagine this would generalize to most other APPCN/match sites as well.

So happy to be FINISHED with post-doc interviews!! Major sigh of relief.

How are people holding up with waiting 'till the 14th? Any people accepting early offers or using the reciprocal offer clause?

How are people holding up with waiting 'till the 14th? ?

Someone could write a book on this...especially since we had a similar wait last year for the match. I'm simply trying to focus on new hobbies to help distract myself. I recently started learning sewing and that took all my focus for a weekend, I'm hoping to continue that for the next few weekends. My husband does puzzles. Just find a good project that doesn't relate to psychology. :)

However, I still find myself thinking and reanalyzing my interviews and trying to figure out "good" or "bad" signs for potential offers. Obviously, I'm still at square one. I wondering if it would be better to take off from internship as well for March 14th? I haven't made a decision about that yet. Most of my supervisors have suggested doing so.

One more interview to go on Monday. I just applied to a small number of sites, all of which, as far as I know, use the UND. I'll find out for sure about this last one on Monday.

I've already got a meeting on the 14th that I can't cancel. Thankfully, I'm just switching major rotations at my internship, so things are always pretty quiet the first week or two as we build up a caseload. I'm just hoping I don't have anyone who wants the 12pm EST slot (10am my time).

So, I'm grappling with the decision of how to rank my top two picks. One is a VA with a very good reputation 2 hours from the area where I think I'd like to settle eventually (in a different VISN). The other VA has an excellent reputation but is further away. In general, which do you think is a safer better bet (in terms of setting myself up for a VA career in my chosen area)? How much do you think that familiarity matters?

Thanks!

So, I'm grappling with the decision of how to rank my top two picks. One is a VA with a very good reputation 2 hours from the area where I think I'd like to settle eventually (in a different VISN). The other VA has an excellent reputation but is further away. In general, which do you think is a safer better bet (in terms of setting myself up for a VA career in my chosen area)? How much do you think that familiarity matters?

Thanks!

Familiarity can help for a variety of reasons, not least of which could include supervisors at that site punting job offers your way that haven't yet been publicized. Obviously that isn't something that'll happen regularly, but it doesn't hurt to train near where you'd like to settle down.

Given that VA #1 seems to have everything going for it, so to speak (i.e., closer, solid reputation, closer to long-term geographical goals), what's preventing you from ranking it first?

Familiarity can help for a variety of reasons, not least of which could include supervisors at that site punting job offers your way that haven't yet been publicized. Obviously that isn't something that'll happen regularly, but it doesn't hurt to train near where you'd like to settle down.

Given that VA #1 seems to have everything going for it, so to speak (i.e., closer, solid reputation, closer to long-term geographical goals), what's preventing you from ranking it first?

The second site is more prestigious and the training opportunities offered are a better fit for my interests. However, the training opportunities offered at the first site are a good match for the job market right now.

Basically, if I went to the more geographically desirable VA for postdoc and got a job offer there or close to my ideal location afterward, I would be very happy. However, if there aren't jobs available there or in the area after postdoc, I would probably regret not taking the more prestigious/more interesting postdoc.

The second site is more prestigious and the training opportunities offered are a better fit for my interests. However, the training opportunities offered at the first site are a good match for the job market right now.

Basically, if I went to the more geographically desirable VA for postdoc and got a job offer there or close to my ideal location afterward, I would be very happy. However, if there aren't jobs available there or in the area after postdoc, I would probably regret not taking the more prestigious/more interesting postdoc.

I'm in the exact same boat with 2 great VA's and I have NO idea what to do either. Everyone tells me it is a good position to be in and that post-doc year is more about starting your life instead of doing another year of the "I'll live anywhere to get some training" that we are doing on internship, which makes me think it is wiser to go where you want to be longterm. I don't know where I want to be longterm, but I know it is not where the site that I LOVED and is perfect for me is located because the cost of living it too high, while the VA I just liked is near family in a rapidly expanding VISN.

Overall, the general consensus I have gotten from supervisors and people on here is that a formal post-doc (especially at the VA) is very impressive no matter what and that it more comes down to what you do on post-doc and the connections you make. I have been told to choose the postdoc that lets me start my own projects and pursue my own interests so that I am set up to get the job I want afterwards, as opposed to filling clinic needs that may not perfectly align with my own interests or training needs.

But yeah, it is still a tough decision. I've also been told by a number of supervisors that if I can't decide, I should just see who calls first and go with what my gut tells me. I don't know if I can do that though...Let me know what you decide to do because it might help with my decision making process too!

As someone who just went through the internship match process (and matched to an APA accredited VA, super excited!) it has been fun following this thread as well. When I have trouble making a decision, I always find it helps to "try on" each choice. So walk around for a day imagining you chose the site closer to family Blush4321, how does it feel? Are you excited? Content with that decision?

Will be thinking of you all next Wednesday and hoping for great outcomes!! Hang in there!!

I'm in the exact same boat with 2 great VA's and I have NO idea what to do either. Everyone tells me it is a good position to be in and that post-doc year is more about starting your life instead of doing another year of the "I'll live anywhere to get some training" that we are doing on internship, which makes me think it is wiser to go where you want to be longterm. I don't know where I want to be longterm, but I know it is not where the site that I LOVED and is perfect for me is located because the cost of living it too high, while the VA I just liked is near family in a rapidly expanding VISN

I'd like to +1 this ^ sentiment.

I am 2/3 through my fellowship and in the heat of job search. I am beyond grateful that I took a postdoc in the area where I'd like to settle (where I also completed internship). I think people under-estimate how difficult it can be to work your way back to your desired location after training--esp. if your training site is no where near where you want to end up. I say this for a few reasons-- internal hiring and early scoops about jobs is invaluable; connections are important and the strongest connections seem to be between VA professionals in the same VISN; and familiarity is also a major piece of the hiring process so that even if you do a prestigious postdoc you may lose out on a job to someone who is local and a known entity. The thinking for that last point is that once someone is hired in a VA, they can be hard to get rid of (one of the things I find annoying in our system). Therefore, people may be willing to give a few extra points to someone they know, like, and who has proven they can fit in with the team.

To be clear, I would not advocate doing a postdoc that doesn't meet your career goals. Ultimately we have all worked too hard for too long to get stuck doing a "foot-in-the-door" job for years (like C&P). But if you can gain proficiency in your area of interest AND stay close to your ideal location, that is best. Even if it is not the premier site in that area

Finally, I think there is actually some benefit to being in a VA/VISN that is growing in your area of interest as opposed to being the established leader. For example, my area of interest is health psych (in particular integrated primary care and mental health). My current postdoc did not exist when I started internship in the fall of 2010. The PC-MH team I work with has only been in existence for 3.5 years. But that has given me the experience of program development and carving out my own unique training experience--unlike our other clinical postdocs whose emphasis areas have existed in this hospital for years. I also hope that it has set me up well to get hired on--as our team is still expanding. Places like Palo Alto, Memphis, and White River Junction (known leaders in this area) have yet to post a single job opening. They are already stacked. ;)

For example, my area of interest is health psych (in particular integrated primary care and mental health). My current postdoc did not exist when I started internship in the fall of 2010. The PC-MH team I work with has only been in existence for 3.5 years. But that has given me the experience of program development and carving out my own unique training experience--unlike our other clinical postdocs whose emphasis areas have existed in this hospital for years. I also hope that it has set me up well to get hired on--as our team is still expanding. Places like Palo Alto, Memphis, and White River Junction (known leaders in this area) have yet to post a single job opening. They are already stacked. ;)

O Gurl, do you think the VA is moving towards having more psychologists in primary care? I have a couple of potential post-docs that are more primary care than general health psychology, and I am wondering if it would be more benefitial to have primary care experiences over general health psychology? I noticed on USAJOBS.gov there are a lot of openings for primary care psychologists as well. Any thoughts anyone? I think I would enjoy both types of post-docs, so I am having some trouble deciding the route to go with, should I have to choose.

O Gurl, do you think the VA is moving towards having more psychologists in primary care? I have a couple of potential post-docs that are more primary care than general health psychology, and I am wondering if it would be more benefitial to have primary care experiences over general health psychology? I noticed on USAJOBS.gov there are a lot of openings for primary care psychologists as well. Any thoughts anyone? I think I would enjoy both types of post-docs, so I am having some trouble deciding the route to go with, should I have to choose.

From what I have experienced, I definitely think the VA is moving more toward primary care mental health and that health psych is embedded within that. I have seen far more positions for PCMH and home-based primary care than I have seen for specialty health psych positions (like pain psychologists). One way to negotiate this issue is to look for a PCMH fellowship where there are a good number of specialty trained health psychologists on the training staff. For example, my team has 7 psychologists--4 of which are legitimate health psych people each with their own niche (cardiovascular emphasis, pain emphasis, psycho-oncology emphasis, and weight loss/endocrinology emphasis). If that is not available, then check to see if the postdoc is structured to where you can set up a trainee/fellow clinic and seek health psych referrals. I have also done this and have gotten lots of juicy cases from conversion disorder to adjustment around IBS. There may also be opportunities for rotations outside the PCMH clinic itself--like transplant and bariatric evals, consultation liason, palliative care, polytrauma/SCI where you could get additional health psych. At the end of the day, you will be in a hospital. There will be plenty of sick folk to work with. However, having the skill set to function in primary care (fast paced, short term interventions, etc) will make you more marketable for jobs.

How are people holding up with waiting 'till the 14th?

I am going crazy! :eek: The waiting is making me want to scream. We still have a week. Ugh. I just want to know.

I should add that I am not a patient person. :)

I am going crazy! :eek: The waiting is making me want to scream. We still have a week. Ugh. I just want to know.

I can definitely relate. I was feeling the same way back before the neuro match, and a big part of me had hoped for a pre-emptive non-match offer for almost no other reason than that I could then use that to get a more solid answer from my top match site.

Luckily, it does end eventually. And at least in my case, it wasn't nearly as anxiety-inducing as the internship matching process.

I'm very anxious to hear. I have a non-APPIC site interview today. I hope that goes well. The 14th can't come quickly enough.

I have a post-doc site that has been very proactive in trying to "recruit" me for their site. The interview went great, and a few weeks ago they called me to check on my dissertation status and see if I had any additional questions about their site. Yesterday they emailed me asking what the best number to reach me at on the notification day would be and they "look forward to speaking with me". This site is not my top choice (but in the top 3), however I feel I would still be getting great training experience. But with their reaction towards me and the constant contact, I feel like my vision is getting blurry on how to rank them. I think in some ways we all want to go where people are excited about us and want us. Additionally, I am afraid to tell them I will hold the offer if/when they call on the 14th. This is where I really miss the match - I don't like having to reveal feelings about sites when this may affect how they feel about me later if I were to accept. Has anyone else run into this? I know, not a bad problem to have, but this is what has been keeping me up at night. This site seems to keep fluctuating for me between the #2 and #3 spot on my list, simply because of the contact they have with me.

I have a post-doc site that has been very proactive in trying to "recruit" me for their site. The interview went great, and a few weeks ago they called me to check on my dissertation status and see if I had any additional questions about their site. Yesterday they emailed me asking what the best number to reach me at on the notification day would be and they "look forward to speaking with me". This site is not my top choice (but in the top 3), however I feel I would still be getting great training experience. But with their reaction towards me and the constant contact, I feel like my vision is getting blurry on how to rank them. I think in some ways we all want to go where people are excited about us and want us. Additionally, I am afraid to tell them I will hold the offer if/when they call on the 14th. This is where I really miss the match - I don't like having to reveal feelings about sites when this may affect how they feel about me later if I were to accept. Has anyone else run into this? I know, not a bad problem to have, but this is what has been keeping me up at night. This site seems to keep fluctuating for me between the #2 and #3 spot on my list, simply because of the contact they have with me.

I plan to tell my 2nd / 3rd choices (if they make offers) that I will need to hold the offer to discuss it with my family. I don't think it's necessary to give specifics on why you are holding... For me, there are multiple factors going into my top pick including training experiences and relative closeness to family.

This is the last weekend we will go without knowing :). I'll be working on publishing the diss and hanging out with friends to keep my mind off everything! Best of luck to all.

Well, my dream PP opp didnt work out, but I do have an interview for a VA staff position/evidenced based psychotherapy cordinator on Monday. Hopefully more to come. I have like 12 apps in at various VAs near where we want to settle. Another PP interview next week as well.

Well, my dream PP opp didnt work out, but I do have an interview for a VA staff position/evidenced based psychotherapy cordinator on Monday. Hopefully more to come. I have like 12 apps in at various VAs near where we want to settle. Another PP interview next week as well.

Is this the one that flew you and your wife out for the interview and to come tour the practice? Bummer, and obviously their loss, but at least you got a free trip out of the deal.

Best of luck with the outstanding apps. As a quasi-related issue, if you have any amount of outstanding loans to pay, I've learned that the VA's loan repayment program is something that needs to be included in job offers and/or with hiring packages to be valid (if they're even still offering it at this point). So if it's something you'd want to look into, and there's a VA that's actively vying for you, definitely see if that's something they're willing to add in to sweeten the deal.

The 14th is rapidly approaching! How is everyone coping? I'm relying on good old fashioned denial (nothing important coming up this week or anything, nope, not at all).

Have any of you gotten offers prior to UND, and if so, did you decide to bite the bullet and take them or are you asking them to wait for the 14th to make your decisions?
(All my sites are using the UND, but I'm still curious!)

Ugh. Last night I had repeated bad dreams about not getting a postdoc, just waiting for the phone to ring on the 14th, and hearing nothing. I hope this isn't a sign of what the next 53 hours are going to be like!

I booked today and tomorrow solid till 11 pm to get my mind off it all.

Hi all! Just wanted to say good luck to everyone anxiously awaiting Wednesday. I ended up accepting an offer for a postdoc back in January so I took an unexpectedly early exit from the postdoc app cycle (positive karma coming back after going through Phase II this time last year? :rolleyes:). Anyway, best of luck to everyone - here is to hoping for exciting phone calls in 48.5 hours! :) Good luck! :luck::luck::luck:

This is a hot mess! I received an early offer, but this site is partway down my rank list. The offer expires at 6pm today. I contacted my 1st choice and I am ranked well, but not quite high enough to get a reciprocal offer from them today. So here I sit, wondering whether to give up on #1 and call #2...and so on.... or just let the early offer expire and see what happens on Wed.

This is a hot mess! I received an early offer, but this site is partway down my rank list. The offer expires at 6pm today. I contacted my 1st choice and I am ranked well, but not quite high enough to get a reciprocal offer from them today. So here I sit, wondering whether to give up on #1 and call #2...and so on.... or just let the early offer expire and see what happens on Wed.

Argh. I feel like applicants are at such a disadvantage in this process :(

I will say, however, that I have heard of sites setting a deadline but then granting more time if needed.

Out of curiosity, when you contacted your #1 site yesterday, did they let you know exactly where you stood (i.e., you're ranked #_ on our list) or just approximately where you stood (i.e., you're pretty high up there)? I don't know what to expect from sites.

Best of luck to you in making these tough choices!

Suggestions on the ettiquette of attempting to hold VA jobs offers (GS-11 entry-level staff). If HR get back to me with an offer, do you think if asking for more time to make the decision (while I wait on some other VA positions to get back to me) will look bad and/or make them want to move on?