post-doc fellowship quick q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phipps

Post-Doctoral Fellow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am just starting grad school, but have already a lot of thoughts and questions:)

one is related to post-doc fellowship positions. HOW IMPORTANT is it that they are APA accredited --since this is so crucial for internships, I wonder whether it equally applies to post-doc fellowships??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am just starting grad school, but have already a lot of thoughts and questions:)

one is related to post-doc fellowship positions. HOW IMPORTANT is it that they are APA accredited --since this is so crucial for internships, I wonder whether it equally applies to post-doc fellowships??

As far as I know, APA accreditation isn't nearly as important (or even standard) at the post-doc level. For neuropsych, for example, it'd be more important for the fellowship to adhere to Houston conference guidelines (and thus to allow for eventual boarding) than to be APA accredited.

Hi all,

as long as you land an apa internship, you will be eligible to apply for any fellowship. Fellowships don't matter in terms of apa accredidation. Its pretty rare to see apa fellowships.

Members don't see this ad :)
as long as you land an apa internship, you will be eligible to apply for any fellowship. Fellowships don't matter in terms of apa accredidation. Its pretty rare to see apa fellowships.

All right. Thanks much!! Yes, I could not find a single APA fellowship which made me think. Good to know.

As far as I know, APA accreditation isn't nearly as important (or even standard) at the post-doc level. For neuropsych, for example, it'd be more important for the fellowship to adhere to Houston conference guidelines (and thus to allow for eventual boarding) than to be APA accredited.

I looked at the Cleveland Clinic's Neuropsych fellowship program and was surprised to see that it is not APA accr. ...but, then it makes sense. Thanks!!!

Agree that APA-accreditation is not crucial for post doc. I am currently doing an accredited postdoc as the VA is moving in that direction across the board, but on the whole, it is still rare. I think it is more important to be sure the position will meet your professional development needs. If your only goal is to get hours for licensure, then you have a wide variety of options available at established training programs an in private practice settings. If your goal is to get specialized training in a certain area, then the former is your best (an IMO only viable) option. I say this because there are far too many sketchy private practice positions out there that are little more than cheap labor. For example, one was announced on the listserv earlier this week. It was a position at a NV private practice that asks fellows to work 55-60 hrs/week doing evaluations and treatment for children and families of foster care for 30K/year with 1 week's vacation and the "possibility" for health insurance. Total abuse of a newly minted PhD/PsyD's position. Thankfully, you will be able to spot those positions quite easily.

Agree that APA-accreditation is not crucial for post doc. I am currently doing an accredited postdoc as the VA is moving in that direction across the board, but on the whole, it is still rare. I think it is more important to be sure the position will meet your professional development needs. If your only goal is to get hours for licensure, then you have a wide variety of options available at established training programs an in private practice settings. If your goal is to get specialized training in a certain area, then the former is your best (an IMO only viable) option. I say this because there are far too many sketchy private practice positions out there that are little more than cheap labor. For example, one was announced on the listserv earlier this week. It was a position at a NV private practice that asks fellows to work 55-60 hrs/week doing evaluations and treatment for children and families of foster care for 30K/year with 1 week's vacation and the "possibility" for health insurance. Total abuse of a newly minted PhD/PsyD's position. Thankfully, you will be able to spot those positions quite easily.

Thanks much, O gurl for alerting me to this. I thought most internships are not APA accr'd but I just checked -- you actually have the option to only check APA accredited when looking and I thought that is really good to know that there are more than I thought and, yes, if I can land one, it would not hurt, especially, re: specialization. I will keep that in mind when I am staring the process.

For example, one was announced on the listserv earlier this week. It was a position at a NV private practice that asks fellows to work 55-60 hrs/week doing evaluations and treatment for children and families of foster care for 30K/year with 1 week's vacation and the "possibility" for health insurance. Total abuse of a newly minted PhD/PsyD's position. Thankfully, you will be able to spot those positions quite easily.

Saw that one too. I think it was posted once before about a month or so ago, guess not many post docs are interested in working for peanuts. I crunched the numbers and it works out to about 10-11 bucks an hour. :laugh: Oh, and for licensure in my state, you can only count 44 hours a week max. so those extra hours don't count.

I just saw a job posted for 54k working with nypd doing assessments. Perhaps they were smoking some of the crack they confiscated?

I just saw a job posted for 54k working with nypd doing assessments. Perhaps they were smoking some of the crack they confiscated?

LOL.

Is this a licensed position? Yikes. NYC area is probably the most expensive part of the country. After 8 years of training to be paid less than a paralegal....

They'd pay 3x-4x that for contracting the work out, so they are definitely trying to save money. The NYC market is already saturated, so I'm sure someone will take that offer...ugh. Salaries like that are not good for our profession.

I also saw this position. It seems to be a post-doc position. The ad said they will provide the hours needed to get licensed. If that is the case, then the salary is fantastic for a pre-license post-doc slot.