Post Game Analysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yope

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How thorough do you all review previous exams? I've read some of the 30+ (actually, all of them) posts, and they all seem to advocate an in depth look at each question (both correct and incorrect).

While I can't argue against such meticulousness, can there be a concern that one is spending too much time reviewing?

For instance, when reviewing incorrect answers, it's one thing to read through the relevant chapters in prep books to become familiar with the material, but should the same process be followed when reviewing correct answers? Is it okay to to simply read over the answer discussion and, if it makes sense, proceed to the next one?

This question is actually sounding more trivial by the letter; I'm only asking, because, over the course of the past 9 practice exams (no AAMC), I've been stuck at the same score range (low 30s), despite thorough review.

Members don't see this ad.

For the correct answer, just make sure you had the correct thought proccess behind it. Also, it helps to review correct answers to see if there was a more effecient way to arrive at the answer.

All depends on what kind of score you want. If you are fine with the low 30's than continue on your present path. If you want to elevate beyond that then content review is not enough. You must critically analyze every incorrect AND correct answer and determine why you chose that answer, what was your reasoning, and how can you adjust if needed. Lots of people know all the crap necessary for the MCAT, but very few put in the required effort necessary to get that ROCKSTAR score. Knowing the correct answer is not enough to get that 35+ you must know why the alternate choices are incorrect.

Disclaimer: I did not stay at Holiday Inn Express.

A couple of things -

Yope, you said you have not done any AAMC practice tests. I would caution using your scores from another test prep company's exams as an accurate predictor of your performance. From personal experience and from reading about the experience of many others here, the AAMC tests are the true indicators of how you should expect to score on the real deal.

Regarding your question about going over mistakes, I think you would be missing out on quite a bit if you are not meticulous. When you make a mistake, understand why you made that mistake, understand why the correct answer is correct and try to think of different ways that same concept can be asked. It is a time consuming process but if you want to see improvement, you have to be able to learn from your mistakes.

When I prepared, I took a test on one day in the morning, spent the rest of that day doing lower intensity stuff like reading or memorizing forumulas and then came back the next day to go over the test I took the day before in detailed fashion.