Post Grad Internship Year for DO's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mire

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still somewhat confused about the AOA's requirement that all DO's complete one year of internship before starting residency. I kind of don't like that because it lengthens whatever residency I choose by one year. Or does it? What happens if you fall out of good graces with the AOA and only get allopathic certifications. I am really kind of confused. Anyone have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Not completing an AOA residency really impacts you most if you are practicing in one of the 5 states that require DOs to complete AOA residencies. I forget which states those are. Do a search on this forum to find out.

If you are intending to practice outside one of those five states, completing an allo- residency is just fine.

If you do an AOA internship, and then an AOA residency, the total time spent is equal to an allo- in many cases. For example, say you want to go into general surg. You'd do an internship for 1 year, and then 4 more as a surg resident if you did AOA. As an allo-, you'd do 5 years as a surg resident, although depending on your program you'll have an intern year that really varies in it's duties and responsibility. In either case, both residencies would be 5 years.

Hope this helps some. If I've made a mistake, please correct me somebody!

Mire-
San Juan is right, you do not have to complete an AOA internship if you don't want to. However, you will not be able to practice in 5 states (FL, MI, PA, OK, WVA I believe...correct me if wrong) without the AOA internship. Everywhere else you're good to go with just the allopathic residency.

If you do choose to do an osteopathic internship, in many cases it will not lengthen your total postgraduate training time. Some specialties such as Derm, Anesth, Rad, PMR, etc. require an internship anyway, and actually begin residency at PGY-2. In other specialties such as IM, your internship year may count as the first year of residency at some programs.

So, the bottom line is that doing/not doing an AOA internship depends a lot on where you are going to practice and in what specialty. I have heard very good things about doing one, because it seems like you get good exposure to lots of different areas and you get to do quite a bit. But, to each his own.

Members don't see this ad :)
One other item that bears repeating. There aren't anywhere near close to enough AOA internships and residencies for DO students. The AOA can push them all they want, but they still are missing out on really solidifying the uniquness of osteo- training in the internship years. Too bad too, because I'd guess that as an intern is where you will really get a good feel for how OMM casn help a patient.