post-graduate internship after irish med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fifi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum and want to say that this forum has been a very helpful resource for me.

I got an offer from RCSI and am going to accept the offer; however, I am very confused about all that internship stuff after medical school.

If I just want to practice in the US or Canada after medical school, do I need to do an intership before obtaining a residency?
Does the intership year apply only if I want to stay in Ireland / UK?
(I am a Canadian)

Members don't see this ad.

hi fifi. i spoke with the the AB about the intern year and they said that it is your choice whether you stay to do the extra year or not. if you return to canada/US then the first year will count as your intern year and you will still be registered with the medical council in ireland and able to practice anywhere in europe. the benefits of the intern year are that it is an incredibly valuable program where you learn a huge amount and it pays very well (in the 100K range). hope this helps!

Baisc intern pay is ~30k but with overtime, interns usually make 60-70k (euros). BUT! this will probably all change with the European Working Time Directive. By the time you qualify in 2010...everything could have changed!!

As student.ie said in another thread, non-EU graduates get the last pick of intern jobs...so you may not end up in one of the Dublin teaching hospitals for your internship or working for consultants on services you like.

To be honest, if you're from NA, there's no point in staying in Ireland for the intern year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a recent Irish graduate of UCD and am currently a second year Surgical Senior House Office (PGY 3). The intern year is post-graduation and is a requirement to obtain full registration with the Irish Medical Council. As a Canadian, you are entitled to complete the Intern year if you want to (that way you can stay and work in Ireland, or return to Ireland in the future). If you want to undertake a residency in US/Canada you can leave straight after Med School without undertaking the Intern year. This means you will not be fully registered with the IMC and if you wanted to return to Ireland in the future you would have to complete your Intern year. Many US/Canadian students stay for the Intern year to obtain full registration to give themselves an option.(Also, Interns earn approx 80,000 Euro ($100,000) so it wouldn't be a bad year!!) Hope that answers your question

I am a recent Irish graduate of UCD and am currently a second year Surgical Senior House Office (PGY 3). The intern year is post-graduation and is a requirement to obtain full registration with the Irish Medical Council. As a Canadian, you are entitled to complete the Intern year if you want to (that way you can stay and work in Ireland, or return to Ireland in the future). If you want to undertake a residency in US/Canada you can leave straight after Med School without undertaking the Intern year. This means you will not be fully registered with the IMC and if you wanted to return to Ireland in the future you would have to complete your Intern year. Many US/Canadian students stay for the Intern year to obtain full registration to give themselves an option.(Also, Interns earn approx 80,000 Euro ($100,000) so it wouldn't be a bad year!!) Hope that answers your question

I thought you are a RCSI graduate.