post-interveiw letters of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goldenhair

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple of quesitons about post-interview letters, what I guess many call "letters of intent." Do I address them to Dean of Admissions or to the Admissions committee?
I already wrote thank you letters after the interveiws, and in each letter to each interviewer at each school I stated why I love the school and why they should take me. So I am not really sure what else to write now in the LOI. I read people here write something with this message "your school is my top choice and if accepted I will go to your school." Isn't saying this binding? I am thinking to write letters to 6 schools, and just can't honestly say it to each school. As for updating, I am a litlte bit confused what to update on - I had interveiws just less than 2 months ago, and since then haven't really done any outstaning global deeds! :) (I wish I had;)). So what is your recommendation?
I am thinking to write to the schools I haven't heard back after the interveiw yet and to the schools I am waitlisted at - how important you think these letters are? Has anyone been accepted with average overall stats without such letters?

Members don't see this ad.

A couple of quesitons about post-interview letters, what I guess many call "letters of intent."
1)Do I address them to Dean of Admissions or to the Admissions committee?
2)I am not really sure what else to write now in the LOI.
3)I read people here write something with this message "your school is my top choice and if accepted I will go to your school." Isn't saying this binding? I am thinking to write letters to 6 schools, and just can't honestly say it to each school.
4)As for updating, I am a litlte bit confused what to update on - I had interveiws just less than 2 months ago, and since then haven't really done any outstaning global deeds! :) (I wish I had;)). So what is your recommendation?
5)I am thinking to write to the schools I haven't heard back after the interveiw yet and to the schools I am waitlisted at - how important you think these letters are?
6)Has anyone been accepted with average overall stats without such letters?

Wow, what a lot of questions! To answer:
1)Start the letter with 'To Whom it May Concern', and address the envelope to the Admissions Office, unless you really, really bonded to one of the interviewers who'd have reason to remember who you are after 2 months, then send a copy addressed to them also. You never know who is in a postion to be your advocate.
2)Write why their school is a perfect fit for you, how comfortable you felt in their environment, aspects of their educational curriculum that appeal to you.
3)I agree you can only tell one school they 'are your top choice and if accepted you will attend' (this is a letter of intent). I would not be ethical to do otherwise, and in my opinion you are signing a contract when you write that. You can tell the other five schools they 'are one of your top choices, you hope they will seriously consider you, and you look forward to receiving an acceptance.' (This is a letter of interest.)
4)I agree there is not much to update after only two months and no new end-of-semester grades. You could say that you continue to enjoy your volunteer activities or shadowing at . . . . and that you believe your current classes in XXXX and XXXX are giving you a sound basis for starting their medical school curriculum.
5)Writing such a letter many not help, but it will never hurt. Remember to be succinct, though, or it will never get read. Keep it to less than one page.
6)Many people are accepted without writing even a thank you note.

Hope this helps.

Start the letter with 'To Whom it May Concern', and address the envelope to the Admissions Office

This is really the only point I disagree with. Address the letter to the Dean of Admissions. If you know [or can tacitly find out] the Dean's name, begin the letter with, "Dear Dr. ___________:" Make it appropriately personal.

And another point to emphasize, people DO get in off of the waitlist without ever writing a letter of intent. Never hurts to be proactive and show interest, though. Just be sure you don't become a nuisance to an already busy Admissions Office.

Best,
-z

Thank you guys!
Wow, these were great responses, and so fast! I appreciate your help! I am writing the letters now and hope it helps!:)