Post - Interview Stress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

john3829835

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just had an interview and I'm lowkey freaking out about it. I know they'll look at my application as a whole and were just trying to see me as a person but I feel like I messed up. I'm good with speaking and listening to people like I don't have any people skills it's more so what I forgot to explain.

So, I didn't elaborate on why I choose to hold off on scribing right now. I'm stressed about it mainly because she asked, "so why aren't you like scribing or something?" I did say that I like to commit to things that that when I say I'll do something I want to give it enough time and energy, but idk if that's enough. I feel like I should have said something like with the application process going on I want to fully dedicate myself to this right now because it is very important to me.

Also, she asked me in like three different ways, how do you deal with stress and I told her I set aside time for friends and family, I work out, I try to find what's causing me the stress and how to deal with it, but she like kept asking in a nonstressful way. So it made me think that I somehow wasn't answering her question.

So, am I just being paranoid?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I just had an interview and I'm lowkey freaking out about it. I know they'll look at my application as a whole and were just trying to see me as a person but I feel like I messed up. I'm good with speaking and listening to people like I don't have any people skills it's more so what I forgot to explain.

So, I didn't elaborate on why I choose to hold off on scribing right now. I'm stressed about it mainly because she asked, "so why aren't you like scribing or something?" I did say that I like to commit to things that that when I say I'll do something I want to give it enough time and energy, but idk if that's enough. I feel like I should have said something like with the application process going on I want to fully dedicate myself to this right now because it is very important to me.

Also, she asked me in like three different ways, how do you deal with stress and I told her I set aside time for friends and family, I work out, I try to find what's causing me the stress and how to deal with it, but she like kept asking in a nonstressful way. So it made me think that I somehow wasn't answering her question.

So, am I just being paranoid?

Sounds like you lied about how you deal with stress...

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you lied about how you deal with stress...
How? I mean I believe I was pretty consistent in how I said I responded to stress. I didn't give any indication before like on my application with how I respond to stress so I don't think she was getting at something I had written or said before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think she was asking if you had more specifics on how you deal with stress. Everyone works out/spends time with family. But maybe she wanted more of an example (ie. I run because it helps me to clear my mind and come back to the problem with more focus than before. Or I journal because it helps me to get the stress out on paper). Always answer interview questions with specifics. Probably not a make-or-break it moment tho...

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm preparing for interviews myself and i am anticipating that there will be some questions I'll look back on and feel I could have answered them better.

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like as long as you have a good answer for why medicine, why this school, have some semblance of charisma, and don't have major red flags (arrogance, overly shy, inability to communicate) you're still in the running.

If I were an interviewer a generic answer on how you handle stress and a mediocre answer on why you're not scribing wouldn't matter much to me. My biggest concern would be "could I stand a 5-hour study session with him/her and would I be comfortable with him/her as my physician?"

Reactions: 1 users
ok, thanks cuz im like killing myself over this interview, I really like the school so hopefully, things work out

Stop freaking out. What will it accomplish at this point? It won't change how the interview went, it won't affect the admissions committee's decision (unless you freak out enough to start spamming their e-mail), the only thing it'll do is make you miserable. Moreover, freaking out about this interview could get you so keyed up that you blow the next one out of sheer nerves. (I'm not saying you blew this one, just that you should relax.) Think about the interview only enough to take away the lessons that'll be beneficial going forward, then move on.

Reactions: 3 users
How? I mean I believe I was pretty consistent in how I said I responded to stress. I didn't give any indication before like on my application with how I respond to stress so I don't think she was getting at something I had written or said before.

It was a joke. Follow the model you set for yourself rather than obsess and be paranoid on an online forum: set aside time for friends and family, work out, try to find what's causing the stress.

The interview is over. I'm sure you did fine (and even if you didn't, worrying this way is unproductive). Furthermore, nobody on this forum was in the interview so we can't actually know if you performed poorly. Maybe you thought you were clear when you described something and you actually weren't. Maybe the interviewer ran out of questions to ask. If you're concerned about your interviewing skills try to do a mock one with a friend or family member.

Reactions: 1 users
This interview is over so don't dwell on it. Instead try to learn from the experience so that you can kill your next interview.

Maybe you should have said that you rumminate on what you should have done and ask the advice of strangers on the internet and then freak out a little bit. Maybe at this point you should reach out to friends and family, work out, and think about why you are stressed out about something you can't change (the past) and focus on what you can do better next time. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
PREMED : Psychotic Reactionary Event Manifestation Exclusionary Disorder.

OP is suffering from third stage PREMED, which is the Post Interview Stress Syndrome.

Well, anyone wants to turn this into a real academic research project? As an applied psychometrician, I will be more than happy to help to develop a measurement for this.....