Post Interview Syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relatively prime

post happy member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone is experiencing this... but it's driving me mad. After each interview I obsess about every little thing I said, my interviewer said, every little eye movement or hand jesture of my interviewers... I just think about it all the time. I worry that some little thing I did is going to cost me admissions... I keep thinking...

Was I confident?
Was I too cocky?
Did I pause for too long?
Did I come accross as compassionate?
Did I say something dumb?
Is "playing video games" really an appropriate pass-time?
DId I say "thank you" too many times?
DId I come accross as honest and real?
Was I too casual? too formal?
DId I talk to much?
Did I say enough?
What was that he/she just wrote down?!?
Did I have that rash on my face during the interview?!?
Did I say "yeah" too many times?
Is he going to reject me because I said "clinical stuff" by accident?
Did that answer even make sense?!

ANyone else have this?

Members don't see this ad.

RP,

You've done a great job racking up the interviews! Please don't worry @ the ones that are over! I'm sure you'll get so much practice from all the ones coming up, that you'll be a professional in no time!

Also, you're an older non-trad app, right? Your posts seems so sensible, well-thought out & mature. I don't recall you ever being rude or nasty to anyone in this forum. You most likely conveyed all these great qualities in your interviews! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, you guys/gals are so nice! Thanks!

Nefetari, no I'm not an older ap... but wow! what a compliment! thanks! ( I have some not-so-mature posts... but I try to delete those within 24 hours ;) )

I guess it's kinda like post-MCAT sydrome... where you obsess over every question you can remember.

Relatively Prime (I'm getting into this posting sh^t)
Not to worry!
What you are experiencing is completely normal-it even has a name, which I can't remember right now....
But its the same thing women experience after they've given birth and widows/widowers experience after they've lost a spouse. You just keep replaying it over and over in your mind and if anyone is close by and remotely interested you spew it all over them too. Over and over again, like groundhog day. So see? you are normal boy!

...and btw, if no one is close by and remotely interested, you post it up on SDN!:D
its part of the "syndrome".

Post-Partum Depression????

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

If the Interviews go well, I feel pretty good afterwards. But that Mayo phone interview, for instance, was not my style and kind of spoiled my mood for the rest of the morning. One-way conversations about rather thoughtful questions is awkward to say the least.

Originally posted by immediatespring
yes i know stupid question but what does btw mean?

There are no stupid questions :)

btw = by the way

YES! DEFINATELY! I would be in a mental institution right now if it weren't for video games. :D

Originally posted by tatabox80

YES! DEFINATELY! I would be in a mental institution right now if it weren't for video games. :D

Tell me about it... I bought a gameboy advance. I love that thing!! Mario Bros. rule! I want an x-box! However, a 65+ year old interviewer ~will~ give you a funny look if you say you play video games in your free time. ;)

RP, this is all gonna become a moot point when you get that top 25 acceptance from one of your many interviews in a few weeks. just relax, girl, and enjoy the ride :)

You'll see!! it will happen to you too!! Just wait... ;)

good luck people... and thanks for the kind words

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey prime, although I have had only one interview (i just sent rec. letters last week), I must say that I really have not thought about it much. I think it is a reflection of how the day went at Vande. possibly the most relaxed interview situation I have ever been in!

Whats done is done, so just keep your head up!
g'luck
adios

ah gawd... my post-interview syndrome (PIS?) is the exact opposite. i've had two and the thought of saying all the same things and doing all this at more interviews just makes me want to hide in a hole. i know, i know, i should be thrilled at the interview invites, but i just keep thinking i'm going to sound SO canned and generic by the time i get thru this mess of tooting my own horn. yick.

RA - sometimes i think it'd be better to obsess over the minutae than be like i am right now. just got back from mich state interview and was like "eh, more talking about myself."

BUT either way - apathetic or paranoid, we're getting thru this and that's what matters, right? :clap:

Originally posted by DW
RP, this is all gonna become a moot point when you get that top 25 acceptance from one of your many interviews in a few weeks. just relax, girl, and enjoy the ride :)

whoa, wait..RP is a girl who plays video games, and is going to med school?

did I just die and go to heaven?

Ah that's so sweet guys :love: ... but I'm taken. We can still play videos games though... I can wip you all!! (except in James Bond... I suck at that game). :)

HEY!!! Me too...:( I love PC games!! (I'm not too sure about "video games.") My faves are Age of Empires and Unreal (YEAH BABY!!) It's such a great way to get rid of excess stress! :clap:

Originally posted by kaos
HEY!!! Me too...:( I love PC games!! (I'm not too sure about "video games.") My faves are Age of Empires and Unreal (YEAH BABY!!) It's such a great way to get rid of excess stress! :clap:

well, are YOU taken, kaos? :laugh:

I've found that the best way to relieve the effects of Post Interview Syndrome is to play a round of Halo, so my advice to you, RP, is to BUY THE XBOX! Without hesitation!!

So, anyone up for a game?

I'm a girl too, and I can kick ALL your butts. :cool:

Originally posted by Curci
play a round of Halo

Halo.....so violent......so addictive.....feels so right........

during my mcat semester, when i would trudge in at 1:30am, i would have to come home and play grand theft auto 3 for an hour before i could sleep. nothing soothes a hard day of work and studying like stealing cars and senselessy killing people

Originally posted by DW

during my mcat semester, when i would trudge in at 1:30am, i would have to come home and play grand theft auto 3 for an hour before i could sleep. nothing soothes a hard day of work and studying like stealing cars and senselessy killing people

GTA3 was the only thing that kept me going while studying for the MCAT, and waiting for my score. It's been a while since I've played, but I sometimes still catch myself singing some of the radio songs.

Originally posted by DW

YEAH!!! That and NEED FOR SPEED (3 and up!)!!:clap:

If any of you girls play Madden I swear to God I will propose right now.

Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
I sometimes still catch myself singing some of the radio songs.

.......she's on fire, fire, FIIIIIIIRRRRREEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

(its stuck in your head now, doctor oct ;) )

Race games are the best.... race cars, motorcylces, planes... anything! Race games rule! I'm also a big archade person... I love archade games.