Post Interview Thank You Notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerusa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are thank you notes expected, beneficial or just a nuisance?

Members don't see this ad.

An expected nuisance.

So, would you say:
  1. Yes, do them anyway.
  2. Still give some sort of thanks, like a brief thank-you email.
  3. Don't do anything at all.
Which approach would be best?

Members don't see this ad :)
So, would you say:
  1. Yes, do them anyway.
  2. Still give some sort of thanks, like a brief thank-you email.
  3. Don't do anything at all.
Which approach would be best?
Some schools specifically ask you not to send them.
If they do not specify, a brief email is more than enough.
It is also acceptable not to send anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
More thoughts from LizzyM and others here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/thank-you-note-after-interview.1094319/#post-15613767
LizzyM said:
Last year I'd say I got thank you notes from about 40% of applicants down from 50% some years earlier. I'd also estimate that the split was 80-20 in favor of email over snail mail down from 50-50 in years past.

It is never a bad thing to express your gratitude. Some interviewers are also adcom members and to some of them it matters quite a bit and they will put in an extra "good word" when decision time comes around. In other cases, the interviewer has written their comments and will have no further opportunity to mention your good manners to the committee and whether or not you say thank you won't matter in that regard but it might make someone's day to get a nice note by email or US postal service.

FWIW - I always appreciated a note when I was working as a manager.

I'm sure some admissions committee members are happy to receive a short 'thank you' note. Others probably don't care either way. It's up to you, but IMHO it doesn't hurt and is simply a nice gesture.

-Bill

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
so how do you get the emails of people that interview you? do you just ask them at the end of the interview?

From what I have heard, they are expected.

Even if they weren't, everyone loves to be thanked.

Reactions: 1 users
What about in the MMI format? Do you just send a thank you note to the admissions office?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Send thank yous if you your moral compass compels you to. You aren't going to get an advantage one way or another IMO. I personally don't care if I receive thank yous; typically I read them, write a short response (if by e-mail), and then immediately delete them. It just doesn't matter to me.

What about in the MMI format? Do you just send a thank you note to the admissions office?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also wondering about this... Do we just send a general thank you to admissions?

Also wondering about this... Do we just send a general thank you to admissions?
Please don't. Their job is to go through emails. It just adds to their burden.
Just be kind and thank them on your way out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed at 4 places last year (no acceptances). I sent thank you notes to 3, and was waitlisted at those 3. the one place I didn't send thank you notes to rejected me. NOW, from my understanding, my interviewer wrote up a report immediately following my interview, so the note wouldn't have hit him in time anyway (plus, to be quite honest, he was kind of a dick... so I didn't REALLY want to thank him anyway). but I don't know, i think there is merit to the thank you notes. shows you're polite and willing to go the extra mile. if i had two applicants with identical stats and both had equally good interviews... and one sends a thank you note and the other doesn't.... im going with the thank you note guy.

We are told you should write thank you notes. I didn't do it and I don't think it hurt me. Even my mother thinks thank you notes to people for just doing their job is a waste of time/resources

I think in the world of emails, folks don't want their email cluttered with thank yous for doing their job. My Dad is a med school faculty member, and he just throws them away when he receiveds them from applicants to grad programs/residencies. He says he writes up his eval usually the same interview day, and usually doesn't even remember who folks are by their name a few days later.

This is an archaic tradition that really serves no value today with modern communications, IMHO. Most folks who interview submit interview reports and the ad coms who make admittance decisions are different members, unless my school is unique.