Post-interview "Thank You" notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I used to do these for some professional job interviews to set myself apart from other applicants, but what do med schools think about it? The two docs that interviewed me yesterday didn't have cards on them when I asked for them, but I'm sure I could look them up and get their contact info through the school's website if I wanted to. Do you think its a good idea, or do you think they didn't carry cards on them for a reason? Is this standard operating procedure after med school interviews? Am I a paranoid premed :laugh: ?

Members don't see this ad.

This has been discussed countless times on SDN. Usually, the consensus is that they won't help and they won't hurt. In fact, some schools specifically request that you NOT send any thank you notes because it just adds to their paperwork and they are unnecessary. Also, take into consideration that your interviewer writes your review probably on the same day that you interview, so sending one won't affect anything they have to say about you.

This has been discussed countless times on SDN. Usually, the consensus is that they won't help and they won't hurt. In fact, some schools specifically request that you NOT send any thank you notes because it just adds to their paperwork and they are unnecessary. Also, take into consideration that your interviewer writes your review probably on the same day that you interview, so sending one won't affect anything they have to say about you.

What if I interviewed with the Dean of Admissions? I'm not totally sure that he is in control of the waitlist, but even if he did write my review immediately afterwards I assume that If a thank-you note gives me a little extra edge he might accept me over an otherwise equal applicant???

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to do these for some professional job interviews to set myself apart from other applicants, but what do med schools think about it? The two docs that interviewed me yesterday didn't have cards on them when I asked for them, but I'm sure I could look them up and get their contact info through the school's website if I wanted to. Do you think its a good idea, or do you think they didn't carry cards on them for a reason? Is this standard operating procedure after med school interviews? Am I a paranoid premed :laugh: ?
Heres is a showing of it doesnt matter.

sent a thank you email = acceptance
didnt send jack ****.....= acceptance at a way better school

If you are a good interviewer (like the formentioned applicant) then they are unnecessary!

Send thank you notes as a common courtesy, not to get an edge. Don't send them to the admissions office for distribution; look up your interviewers in the directory and find out where they work exactly and mail it to them. There's no paperwork hassle there; it's just a piece of mail for them. Student interviewers you can find in the directory or just send to Admissions office.

I just send emails thanking the interviewer, saying something specific eith respect to the interview or giving information about something that the interviewer asked... then outline my interest in the school then say thank you and sign off.