Post match options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

georgiadat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a hypothetical question... If I was a senior and could not find a good associateship, how difficult would it be to get into a "good" GPR/AEGD in Jan/Feb Post-match? I want to work right out of school but if a good opportunity does not present itself, I would want to do a GPR/AEGD. Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

Starting this year, a lot of students applied for GPR/AEGD and it was very competetive. Allmost all of the good programs (to me that includes prog with exposure in Implants, Perio Surgery, and Endo) were filled by the time Match date rolled around. Pograms conduct interviews before their dedlines, which 99% have before end of Dec.
After Match date, there are a lot of programs which will have spots open for you to Post Match (a lot of these progams are in NY). Which they try to fill asap after Match, so to land at a good prog out of the Post Match, be ready to call these programs the day of Match. It is rarely that a good program would have spots open after Match, but you never know.

So goodluck and hopefully it works out for you!:)

I have a hypothetical question... If I was a senior and could not find a good associateship, how difficult would it be to get into a "good" GPR/AEGD in Jan/Feb Post-match? I want to work right out of school but if a good opportunity does not present itself, I would want to do a GPR/AEGD. Thanks for any info!

for the most part, the "good" GPR/AEGD spots will be filled by the MATCH, which means that those spots remaining after the MATCH probably will be the less desirable programs. not a hard and strong rule, but i think it makes sense that unfilled spots at any residency (be it GPR/AEGD or specialty) by and large (although not ALWAYS) reflects on that program's attractiveness.

also, i'm not a good source of info on this since i won't be going into private practice right out of dschool, but it seems to me that looking to get an offer/associateship by Jan of senior year may be tough unless you have connections. if you want to associate straight out, it may take a little longer than what you're anticipating... i would say maybe it's a better idea to find out what you really want to do and make it happen. if residency then apply along with everyone else in your class and interview at the ones you like. if associateship then apply all over at offices that are hiring and you'll probably land something in time. giving yourself that Jan/Feb deadline to fall back to residency as a last ditch effort just doesn't sound like the best way of approaching things to me. but that's just my opinion so hopefully it helps you think this through!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Starting this year, a lot of students applied for GPR/AEGD and it was very competetive. Allmost all of the good programs (to me that includes prog with exposure in Implants, Perio Surgery, and Endo) were filled by the time Match date rolled around. Pograms conduct interviews before their dedlines, which 99% have before end of Dec.
After Match date, there are a lot of programs which will have spots open for you to Post Match (a lot of these progams are in NY). Which they try to fill asap after Match, so to land at a good prog out of the Post Match, be ready to call these programs the day of Match. It is rarely that a good program would have spots open after Match, but you never know.

So goodluck and hopefully it works out for you!:)
What are a few of the solid GPR with excellent exposure to the above listed?

I am seeking for an advice for next match cycle.

With CK score pending, I applied for over 350+ programs last September (IM/FM combined), just find out I failed CK. I retook and passed in 01/2019. I received only one invitation, probably because my CK score wasn’t available throughout the interview season. Most programs probably have filtered out my applications. Didn’t match and is planning for next year. This is my credentials:

US-IMG, Caribbean Med school, 2 years USCE with 4LoRs

Step1: 225 (1st attempt)

Step 2 CK: 224 (2nd attempt)

Step 2 CS: Pass (1st attempt)

1 publication (based on stuff I did before medical school, published during MS1 though)

Options I am looking at:

· Option #1: Doing extended clinical rotations (6 months IM, starting in June)->school sponsors/covers tuition only upon postponing graduation until January 2019, which means I can’t take Step 3 before next cycle

Vs.

· Option #2: Graduate in May and take Step 3 + Observership/Externship

Vs.

· Option #3: Graduate in May and take Step 3 + Research

Having a red flag on my CK score (fail, mediocre score on 2nd attempt), how important is to take Step3? I thought the best way to improve my application is doing well on step 3 but at the same time, I have heard many residency programs don’t weigh much on Step 3 when sending out interview invitation. I was advised against it by school faculty who also said that Step3 isn't gonna do much since I'm US-IMG. He also said that having continuous clinical experience is a far more important factor in my situation.

Before I make my decision, I wanted to hear a second opinion from people who had the similar experience or from anyone who has any ideas/opinion.

I think part of your problem is attention to detail.

Such as the fact that this is a thread on matching to dental PGY-1 programs that’s been dead for 8 years.

Reactions: 1 user