Post May 15 indicision... another comparison thread

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ymnCheetos, Jun 14, 2008.

1. ymnCheetos

Medical Student
    _

#1 ymnCheetos, Jun 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 87138

87138 Guest

Medical Student
    Just by reading your post, it appears as though you've kind of already decided you prefer NYMC.

4. paradisedoc

paradisedoc Senior Member

Attending Physician
    NYMC!! Since the cost is the same and you want to try some place different and are drawn to NYC, there doesn't seem to be much of a contest. Enjoy your four years in NYC, you will either love it or hate it, but, either way, you will have experienced something very different and exciting.

5. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    got this vibe too.

6. searun

Resident [Any Field]
    New York, no doubt, no doubt at all.

7. ymnCheetos

Medical Student
    _

#6 ymnCheetos, Jun 14, 2008
  8. redlight

redlight Senior Member :D

Pre-Medical
    id advise stepping out of your comfort zone and stepping into nymc!
    the only thing that would hold me back is the SO.. but if you two feel reasonably comfortable about the move, nymc is the obvious choice!

9. ymnCheetos

Medical Student
    bump!

I cleaned up the thread, hopefully I can get some more of your insight.

10. Phoenix.

Phoenix. Emdee Jaydee
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I read your post before you edited it, and again now. I just think that you should go with your gut, and your gut is telling me you want to go to New York. It'll be a hard decision to make, but I think that's what you'll end up doing. Imagine withdrawing from NYMC and starting at Wayne. How excited will you be? Now imagine withdrawing from Wayne to start at NYMC. How excited will you be? Will that excitement outweigh the extra cost and lack of support system? If so, go for it. You only live once, and if you hear that New York siren song, I think you need to go there. I do believe that you'll be able to go back to MI for residency if you decide you want to go back. And you'll have had your NY experience and can move home happily ever after.... Good luck!

For what it's worth, I really don't envy your agonizing decision. I experienced a similar problem a few weeks ago between two schools and it was definitely one of the harder decisions I've had to make. :luck:

11. flip26

Medical Student
    Is the cost diff $30k for all 4 years, or $30k per year?

Big diff...

12. ParvatiP

ParvatiP Senior Member

Medical Student
    I have a sort of similar dilemma in that I'm choosing between a school in NYC and a school near my family and friends, where I grew up, etc, that's also cheaper. I will likely be attending the latter school because I get a better, more friendly vibe from it, I can live with my SO, and it's cheaper. These schools are both in NY so either way I'd be close to home and even though I won't be living in NYC, I should still be able to visit often.

So to sum, which school do you feel more comfortable at? Which student body fits you best? If it really is a toss-up, I'd pick Wayne because of cost and to be near your family. Remember that as a midwest school, most students probably have a heavy midwest bias for residency.

Good luck with your decision, hope this helps!

13. ymnCheetos

Medical Student
    30k overall, but probably more cause Wayne has a crapload of scholarship programs that I can apply for over the next 4 years while NYMC doesn't have any.

14. bawer234

bawer234 ASA Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    go for NYMC

15. PreMD86

PreMD86 'Pre' free!

Medical Student
    Cheetos I have a serious question for you: How is your fiancee dealing with being left alone for what essentially amounts to your selfish desire to experience NYC?

You're looking at two schools of the same caliber, with the same probability of getting you where you want to be, except one is a flight away from your SO.
    The way I see it, not only will you be paying 30k more for the "luxury" of living 30 miles from NYC, but you're also paying the heavier price of seeing the person you're intending of spending the rest of your life with on holidays at best.

I recently faced the decision of whether to go to school in nyc, where my gf lives, but very painfully turned it down when the premium came out to around 80k. The school I'll be attending it close enough to be able to see her every weekend, but the thought of having had the option to wake up every morning next to the person you love deeply saddens me. Anyway, it strikes me as selfish of you to place "marriage wouldn't be as difficult" so low on your list, and to choose the school essentially because of its location. I think you have to think long and hard about your priorities. If it's more important for you to be close to NYC, that's fine, but I don't see how you can sincerely look into your fiancee's eyes, tell her you want to spend the rest of your life with her, and then choose to live seperately for the next four years. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I don't quite get the NYMC fetish for NYC. As hard as they may try to psychologically manipulate their students to remove the 'C'. NYMC is not in NYC. It a solid hour away from the city. At best, you can go there every weekend, although as you realize how much work school is, you're lucky if you'll make it there once every 2 or 3 weeks. For the price difference, you could fly every month to NYC and have a swell time there.

#14 PreMD86, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Daydreamer2008

Pre-Medical
    i was actually wondering the same thing...? I find it quite strange that you would leave your fiancee for NYC? Are you making this decision together? :confused:

18. ymnCheetos

Medical Student
    _

#16 ymnCheetos, Jun 17, 2008
  19. PreMD86

PreMD86 'Pre' free!

Medical Student
    You're a good guy, Cheetos- I'm glad to see you have your priorities straight. You should consider it a true blessing to be able to stay close to your loved one and get a cheap medical education. People on SDN are often too impulsive with their advice when it's somebody else's decision. The reality is that medical school is not the best time to live like a rock star and step outside of your comfort zone. It's a tremendously stressful time where you'll need more support from your friends and loved ones than ever. Besides, take it from someone who has spent dozens of weekends in the city- it's increadibly overrated and will only amplify your loneliness if your fiance isn't there. Good luck and I wish you a long and happy marriage.

#17 PreMD86, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008