Post May 15 indicision... another comparison thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just by reading your post, it appears as though you've kind of already decided you prefer NYMC.

NYMC!! Since the cost is the same and you want to try some place different and are drawn to NYC, there doesn't seem to be much of a contest. Enjoy your four years in NYC, you will either love it or hate it, but, either way, you will have experienced something very different and exciting.

Members don't see this ad :)
New York, no doubt, no doubt at all.

I have always told myself that I wouldn't resort to starting a thread of this nature, but I swear I have never been this torn by a decision. I have to make a decision between 2 schools within the next few days, and I would appreciate some insight. I've thought about this so long and hard that I'm now getting lost in my own thoughts, and I can't think clearly.

So.... NYMC vs Wayne State

Wayne State is my state school, and I am very familiar with the area. My family and friends live here, and my SO will be an M1 not too far away. It has strong clinical training, a huge array of on campus hospitals, and a pretty strong reputation for training good doctors. The problem is that I have been here as long as I can remember, and I really, really need a change of scenery. There is a dispute between the DMC and Wayne, which sorta scares me. Wayne State students tend to stay in Michigan, and I know with some level of certainty that I want to go somewhere farther east. Their class is massive, about 300 students, and everyone is ultra competitive. Everyone sorta lives everywhere in the Metro Detroit area, and there is little cohesion between the class.

NYMC is just outside of New York, a city that I have wanted to move to so badly for so long. It has a beautiful campus, which most students live on for their pre-clinical years. It has a smaller class and newer facilities. Their get to do rotations in Manhattan, and have a phenomenal match list. I know match lists are difficult to read, but they have a huge number of students doing residency in places that I may someday consider, and so it may be easier to match. They have offered a very generous scholarship, and so cost between the 2 schools is no longer an issue.

This is a really condensed version of things, I will probably expand some of this later. Bottom line is, do I stay where I'm at, or do I go somewhere new, an experience that I know will be invaluable. Any words of advice?
id advise stepping out of your comfort zone and stepping into nymc!
the only thing that would hold me back is the SO.. but if you two feel reasonably comfortable about the move, nymc is the obvious choice!

bump!

I cleaned up the thread, hopefully I can get some more of your insight.

I read your post before you edited it, and again now. I just think that you should go with your gut, and your gut is telling me you want to go to New York. It'll be a hard decision to make, but I think that's what you'll end up doing. Imagine withdrawing from NYMC and starting at Wayne. How excited will you be? Now imagine withdrawing from Wayne to start at NYMC. How excited will you be? Will that excitement outweigh the extra cost and lack of support system? If so, go for it. You only live once, and if you hear that New York siren song, I think you need to go there. I do believe that you'll be able to go back to MI for residency if you decide you want to go back. And you'll have had your NY experience and can move home happily ever after.... Good luck!

For what it's worth, I really don't envy your agonizing decision. I experienced a similar problem a few weeks ago between two schools and it was definitely one of the harder decisions I've had to make. :luck:

Is the cost diff $30k for all 4 years, or $30k per year?

Big diff...

I have a sort of similar dilemma in that I'm choosing between a school in NYC and a school near my family and friends, where I grew up, etc, that's also cheaper. I will likely be attending the latter school because I get a better, more friendly vibe from it, I can live with my SO, and it's cheaper. These schools are both in NY so either way I'd be close to home and even though I won't be living in NYC, I should still be able to visit often.

So to sum, which school do you feel more comfortable at? Which student body fits you best? If it really is a toss-up, I'd pick Wayne because of cost and to be near your family. Remember that as a midwest school, most students probably have a heavy midwest bias for residency.

Good luck with your decision, hope this helps!

Is the cost diff $30k for all 4 years, or $30k per year?

Big diff...

30k overall, but probably more cause Wayne has a crapload of scholarship programs that I can apply for over the next 4 years while NYMC doesn't have any.

Cheetos I have a serious question for you: How is your fiancee dealing with being left alone for what essentially amounts to your selfish desire to experience NYC?

You're looking at two schools of the same caliber, with the same probability of getting you where you want to be, except one is a flight away from your SO.
The way I see it, not only will you be paying 30k more for the "luxury" of living 30 miles from NYC, but you're also paying the heavier price of seeing the person you're intending of spending the rest of your life with on holidays at best.

I recently faced the decision of whether to go to school in nyc, where my gf lives, but very painfully turned it down when the premium came out to around 80k. The school I'll be attending it close enough to be able to see her every weekend, but the thought of having had the option to wake up every morning next to the person you love deeply saddens me. Anyway, it strikes me as selfish of you to place "marriage wouldn't be as difficult" so low on your list, and to choose the school essentially because of its location. I think you have to think long and hard about your priorities. If it's more important for you to be close to NYC, that's fine, but I don't see how you can sincerely look into your fiancee's eyes, tell her you want to spend the rest of your life with her, and then choose to live seperately for the next four years. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I don't quite get the NYMC fetish for NYC. As hard as they may try to psychologically manipulate their students to remove the 'C'. NYMC is not in NYC. It a solid hour away from the city. At best, you can go there every weekend, although as you realize how much work school is, you're lucky if you'll make it there once every 2 or 3 weeks. For the price difference, you could fly every month to NYC and have a swell time there.

Last edited:
Cheetos I have a serious question for you: How is your fiancee dealing with being left alone for what essentially amounts to your selfish desire to experience NYC?

You're looking at two schools of the same caliber, with the same probability of getting you where you want to be, except one is a flight away from your SO.
The way I see it, not only will you be paying 30k more for the "luxury" of living 30 miles from NYC, but you're also paying the heavier price of seeing the person you're intending of spending the rest of your life with on holidays at best.

I recently faced the decision of whether to go to school in nyc, where my gf lives, but very painfully turned it down when the premium came out to around 80k. The school I'll be attending it close enough to be able to see her every weekend, but the thought of having had the option to wake up every morning next to the person you love deeply saddens me. Anyway, it strikes me as selfish of you to place "marriage wouldn't be as difficult" so low on your list, and to choose the school essentially because of its location. I think you have to think long and hard about your priorities. If it's more important for you to be close to NYC, that's fine, but I don't see how you can sincerely look into your fiancee's eyes, tell her you want to spend the rest of your life with her, and then choose to live seperately for the next four years. Just my 2 cents.

i was actually wondering the same thing...? I find it quite strange that you would leave your fiancee for NYC? Are you making this decision together? :confused:

The funny thing is that you essentially came to the same conclusion I did about a half hour later than me. I re-read my post and it became pretty clear to me that Wayne is my best option. I guess deep down I knew it was where I would end up, but I never eeeeeever thought I would be in the position to choose so my mind wandered. I won't be able to enjoy the city until I'm an M4, and if I can wait 3 years then I can definitely wait 4 and try to match with her. The reason I knew we could handle being apart is because we've been long distance for years, but 4 more years isn't worth it AT ALL. Anyways, thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

You're a good guy, Cheetos- I'm glad to see you have your priorities straight. You should consider it a true blessing to be able to stay close to your loved one and get a cheap medical education. People on SDN are often too impulsive with their advice when it's somebody else's decision. The reality is that medical school is not the best time to live like a rock star and step outside of your comfort zone. It's a tremendously stressful time where you'll need more support from your friends and loved ones than ever. Besides, take it from someone who has spent dozens of weekends in the city- it's increadibly overrated and will only amplify your loneliness if your fiance isn't there. Good luck and I wish you a long and happy marriage.

Last edited: