Post NYU grad details her disappointment with Loans and Missing Out on the Full Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean, what are you gonna do...NYU isn't going to pay every single graduate.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
She voluntarily signed up for all those loans. Give me a break.

Reactions: 11 users
Still feel for her though...

She got the exact same deal that 19000 other students get every year though. She doesn't lose anything by new students getting full scholarship.

Reactions: 9 users
>I am currently taking a break from seeing patients as I work as a freelancer and a consultant in ABC News' medical unit, and in September, I will start a one-year program at Standford University focused on global health and media. I plan to come back to New York City to practice as a primary care pediatrician after that.
It seems likes she's actively trying to make as little money as possible as a physician.

Reactions: 28 users
You guys are being so uncharitable! Read the article! She expresses some regret but the tone of the article and its conclusion are very positive!

Reactions: 1 user
>I am currently taking a break from seeing patients as I work as a freelancer and a consultant in ABC News' medical unit, and in September, I will start a one-year program at Standford University focused on global health and media. I plan to come back to New York City to practice as a primary care pediatrician after that.
It seems likes she's actively trying to make as little money as possible as a physician.

I'll all pay off when she's the next Sanjay Gupta. :nod:

Oh, and I missed the point where the half million dollars was for both of them combined. So 250k each? That's far from terrible, especially considering they went to school in f-cking Manhattan.

Hell, I've met some students who've taken on 400k+ debts by themselves.

Reactions: 3 users
Tuitions are too high. Also, our federal government being in the loan business and guaranteed loans is the dumbest thing ever.

We need banks to provide loans with assessments on whether or not your violin beach anthropology degree is worth a $200k loan. Just like rest of our lives... cars, mortgages.. Everything needs an assessed risk.

Want to be a peds in NYC.. Ya.. Probably $500k of debt is not smart.

Reactions: 4 users
Pft she finished 3 years ago, I thought it would be someone who just graduated and felt like they got left in the cold. Ain't no one held a gun to your head and forced you to go there.

I think prestige is nice to have and helpful for residency but thinking about finances early is very important. There is a plethora of sources out there to learn from including the white coat investor, physician on fire, dr wise money etc. It's all monopoly money and numbers on a screen until you have a kid and a mortage while the chickens come home to roost. There are people in residency now who went to school with tuition in the 20k range and yet people seem to think that 400k is a reasonable debt load.

DEBT IS AN ANCHOR.

Last edited:
Pft she graduated 3 years ago, I thought it would be someone who just graduated and felt like they got left out in the cold. Ain't no one held a gun to your head and forced you to go there.

I think prestige is nice to have and helpful for residency but thinking about finances early is very important. There is a plethora of sources out there to learn from including the white coat investor, physician on fire, dr wise money etc. It's all monopoly money and numbers on a screen until you have a kid and a mortage while the chickens come home to roost. There are people in residency now who went to school with tuition in the 20k range and yet people seem to think that 400k is a reasonable debt load.

DEBT IS AN ANCHOR.

Agree, unless you’re trying to become some academic leader in a field because you truly have some intense passion for it I think there’s diminishing long term returns for going to a state school with less debt vs a very expensive brand name school. Unless of course as is the case with NYU that school is now free.

We emphasize a culture - particularly amongst certain demographics - that unless you’ve gone to something brand name your success is meaningless. It’s stressful, toxic, and ultimately silly.

500k of debt in a two p hysician household is NOT that big of a deal. 250k per student while living in NYC for 4 years is NOT that big of a deal. People need to quit their bitching and develop a thicker skin. Maybe she should go work as a physician to pay off her debt?

"Pediatricians make an average of $212,000 per year, according to 2018 physician compensation report compiled by Medscape, a health news website. But in New York, where I plan to practice, pediatricians make considerably less and the cost of living is high."

The free market makes my decision to only practice in NYC a poor economic one, but wahh I have loans! Give me free money! I graduated 3+ years ago and would've been 7 years removed from being on the benefit list of this free tuition!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
500k of debt in a two p hysician household is NOT that big of a deal. 250k per student while living in NYC for 4 years is NOT that big of a deal. People need to quit their bitching and develop a thicker skin. Maybe she should go work as a physician to pay off her debt?

"Pediatricians make an average of $212,000 per year, according to 2018 physician compensation report compiled by Medscape, a health news website. But in New York, where I plan to practice, pediatricians make considerably less and the cost of living is high."

The free market makes my decision to only practice in NYC a poor economic one, but wahh I have loans! Give me free money! I graduated 3+ years ago and would've been 7 years removed from being on the benefit list of this free tuition!

Actually theyre giving back tuition to all current students.

Reactions: 2 users
In all fairness, admission standards are going to change with this free tuition situation.

So maybe that person would not have gotten into NYU had it been free back in her time.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually theyre giving back tuition to all current students.
Jesus, what an awesome school. My school would have held a mandatory wellness seminar and given us 25 dollar gift cards to tj max if they had gotten that donation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I'm glad I was not the only one that thought seriously? when I read that!

Whatever.

Someone who got into NYU almost certainly also had the option of attending a state school and/or one not in a city with absurd COL. 22-year-olds are considered mature enough to be four years into military service; doing some back-of-the-napkin math on debt isn't that difficult.

Oh boo hoo... Didn't she do this to be a doctor, not for the money?

Being a pediatrician is a poor economic decision too. These people act like you're psychotic when you make a specialty decision partly based on lifestyle and money, and then when they struggle they complain about making too little money. Real life **** finally hits them and they expect me to feel sorry for them.

Fine, do what you love but don't complain to the rest of us when it isn't working out for you.

Many of the peds subspecialties make decent money - heme/onc, GI, cards, neonatology, A&I, rheum, etc. There’s good earnings as a PP pediatrician. Some people, surprise, enjoy being a pediatrician. Not all of us are cynical SDN burnouts.

All specialties make less in the NYC area though - that was a conscious decision to not leave her metaphysical center of the universe, that’s for sure.

How does this address my post at all? Like I said if you enjoy it fine, but don't whine about it later. No one cares.

“Being a pediatrician is a poor economic decision”

My point was that in the appropriate circumstance it does not have to be a poor financial decision

Maybe tone down the dickishness a little bit

Boo ****ing hoo. She actually called the dean and asked what about recent graduates Lol? Maybe she should've gone to a state school, worked harder and get a merit scholarship or choose a higher-paying specialty? What does she think shes entitled.

But at the end of the day, I choose to be happy for all those young medical students who received the announcement Thursday, and grateful for my own education.

Glad you feel what any reasonable person would.

Forget recent alumni, if there's anyone who I might feel bad for, it's the students last year and before who chose other schools over NYU and are taking on the debt.

Boo ****ing hoo. She actually called the dean and asked what about recent graduates Lol? Maybe she should've gone to a state school, worked harder and get a merit scholarship or choose a higher-paying specialty? What does she think shes entitled.

Glad you feel what any reasonable person would.

Forget recent alumni, if there's anyone who I might feel bad for, it's the students last year and before who chose other schools over NYU and are taking on the debt.
The world is a chaotic, imperfect, and unpredictable place. No student making a sensible decision with all the information available to them at the time could have seen this coming. I don't feel bad for those people who chose other schools over nyu or just recently graduated from nyu because 1. They graduated from an amazing school and knew the cost beforehand. 2. Any school they chose over nyu was a better school or a better fit for them.

I wish I cared

I mean, there's better fit and then there's +$55k/yr better fit.
It is the equivalent of complaining about spending 20 bitcoins to buy a pizza in 2009. If you felt like bitcoins was going to be worth 10k in the future you probably wouldn't have bought that pizza. Seemed like a reasonable course of action at the time Considering bitcoins could have also been worth zero the following day

It is the equivalent of complaining about spending 20 bitcoins to buy a pizza in 2009. If you felt like bitcoins was going to be worth 10k in the future you probably wouldn't have bought that pizza. Seemed like a reasonable course of action at the time Considering bitcoins could have also been worth zero the following day
Not saying it wasn't the right choice at the time but I think it is a little disingenuous to suggest that they're obviously at a better school for them. People factor financial aid into their decision all the time and the current situation is probably drastically different than it was back in April.

Not saying it wasn't the right choice at the time but I think it is a little disingenuous to suggest that they're obviously at a better school for them. People factor financial aid into their decision all the time and the current situation is probably drastically different than it was back in April.
Yes and at that time a full ride was not avaible. so the point is moot. That's the point. We don't know what the future holds, so we can only make decisions based on the current information that we have. No need to cry over decisions made with the best information available at the time.

Last edited:
Also, is her husband a radiologist who just finished residency and also started his own company?

Why do rich people always complain about how bitterly unfair their lives are?