Post-rejection etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schizoidgrrl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear that you're supposed to follow up after rejections to ask how to improve your application... should I do so right away, or wait till the end of the cycle? Any general advice for do's or don'ts?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of places offer 'post- mortems'... Hah. Basically you can make an appointment to meet with admissions and discuss the ways in which you could improve your application.

I hear that you're supposed to follow up after rejections to ask how to improve your application... should I do so right away, or wait till the end of the cycle? Any general advice for do's or don'ts?

I was told for my IS school that you should do that later. Like in spring time they will meet with you personally and talk in depth about how you can improve. I would def not call now, you probably won't even be able to get a person to stay on the phone with you for more than a couple minutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Give it til end of January at least. I called some and they set me up with an appointment right away (K-state). Others set me up with later appointments after the cycle was over and some told me to call back after the cycle. Depends on the school. I would call a little earlier rather than later to show that you are really interested in knowing how to improve. The worst they can do is tell you to call back later.

Thanks for the advice! Another question: can I just e-mail them, or do I have to call them? (I am really bad on the phone...)

I would definitely call. Gotta get used to the phone some time ;) Especially if you're going to be a vet and have to call and talk to patients. Good practice:D

I would definitely call. Gotta get used to the phone some time ;) Especially if you're going to be a vet and have to call and talk to patients. Good practice:D

When the patients start answering the phone I'm going to be amazed. I know what you meant it just made me smile.

haha :D it would be amazing for them to answer wouldn't it lol

Are you still waiting to hear from other schools? If so, I would wait. No point in doing a post-mortem if you're accepted somewhere!

haha :D it would be amazing for them to answer wouldn't it lol

My dog thinks she can answer it...
when it rings, she runs around like a nut case trying to find it. Then proceeds to either a) sit there staring at it if she can't reach it, and she "yodels"/ barks/yips at it.
or b) proceeds to bat at said phone with her front feet like a toy until it stops making noise-- at which point she then barks at it/into it.

Of course, that is all slightly exacerbated by the fact that I have a wolf howl as my cell ring tone...She's definitely a "talker."

My dog thinks she can answer it...
when it rings, she runs around like a nut case trying to find it. Then proceeds to either a) sit there staring at it if she can't reach it, and she "yodels"/ barks/yips at it.

My African Grey DEFINITELY answers it! she even goes "ugh, WAT!" in my voice every time my mom calls for me :laugh: