Post your "Chance Me" threads here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah, 100 is a little low because many applicants have well over 200 volunteer hours. It just makes them a more well rounded applicant in their eyes.
Huh, I always figured 100 hours of everything was enough. I've got a ton, but I feel like it's the SDN skewing that may make it seem like 100 is low?

Huh, I always figured 100 hours of everything was enough. I've got a ton, but I feel like it's the SDN skewing that may make it seem like 100 is low?
I have 0 volunteer hours but was told by two admissions officers that it was fine since my application has many other pros. I think it depends on each school how heavily volunteering is weighed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: ~4.30 oGPA, ~4.33 sGPA
DAT: 22AA 23TS 23Bio 23Gchem 25Orgo 20PAT 21RC 18QR
Shadowing: ~350 hours
Volunteering: 40 hours low-income Dental Clinics, ~200 with a volunteer organization
Research: 1.5 Years
Work: Off and On as a office assistant

Schools:
Columbia
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
UCLA
UCSF
:rolleyes:
Any chance?

You should totally cross off UCLA and UCSF, I don't think you have a chance. :whistle:
kidding. You'll be fine. Just don't take my spot.

Hi there, hoping someone can give me some honest advice!

Bit about me: I'm a career changer applicant with a double major in Econ and Geography. My biggest concern are my undergraduate grades, which were mostly non-science, but include some failed classes. I did well in post-bacc but because I spent 5 years in undergrad, I had an obscene amount of units and the post-bacc GPA didn't bump my overall GPA much. Also didn't have any time to do research because I needed a paying job to afford post-bacc.

My stats
Undergrad GPA: 3.45 (including 1 F and 1 NP which I retook, uhoh)
Post-bacc GPA: 4.0 not including A+s
Overall GPA: estimating 3.5/6
Science GPA: estimating 3.8/9
DAT: AA 27, TS 27, PAT 25, QR 24, RC 27, Bio 27, GC 26, Ochem 30

Dental Experience
Shadowing: ~100 hrs
Paid assisting: 2,700 hrs (2 years about 4 days/wk)
No research, some volunteer work teaching English but nothing dental.

Interested Schools (California resident)
UCLA, UCSF, UoP, USC, NYU. Maybe thinking about some "reach" schools like Columbia and UPenn. Need to include in some more. Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there, hoping someone can give me some honest advice!

Bit about me: I'm a career changer applicant with a double major in Econ and Geography. My biggest concern are my undergraduate grades, which were mostly non-science, but include some failed classes. I did well in post-bacc but because I spent 5 years in undergrad, I had an obscene amount of units and the post-bacc GPA didn't bump my overall GPA much. Also didn't have any time to do research because I needed a paying job to afford post-bacc.

My stats
Undergrad GPA: 3.45 (including 1 F and 1 NP which I retook, uhoh)
Post-bacc GPA: 4.0 not including A+s
Overall GPA: estimating 3.5/6
Science GPA: estimating 3.8/9
DAT: AA 27, TS 27, PAT 25, QR 24, RC 27, Bio 27, GC 26, Ochem 30

Dental Experience
Shadowing: ~100 hrs
Paid assisting: 2,700 hrs (2 years about 4 days/wk)
No research, some volunteer work teaching English but nothing dental.

Interested Schools (California resident)
UCLA, UCSF, UoP, USC, NYU. Maybe thinking about some "reach" schools like Columbia and UPenn. Need to include in some more. Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance!
There are no such things as reach achools for you. Apply to wherever you want as soon as possible! It's getting to be late in the cycle

So Glad a thread like this exists!

My biggest concern is my oGPA.. I am working hard on the pre reqs right now to boost it up as I did not take them during undergrad. I currently have a B.S.

Current overall GPA: 3.06 (I was an accounting major, and did horrible, hence changing career paths)
- had 1 F, and two NC classes (these were accounting classes)
Current sGPA : 3.5
- missing Orgo I, II and Bio I II,
DAT: not taken yet.
Dental assistant : about a year and a half experience
Shadowing: about 100 hours
LOR: two dentists, couple science professors, no committee letter

Schools interested:
Columbia
NYU
Stony Brook
U Buffalo
Rutgers

Assuming I do ok (at least B) in my remaining pre reqs, what kind of DAT score will I need? I think so far I am projected to get like a 19-20.. I know I have a lot of missing pieces so it might be hard to tell.. but do I have any chances with these schools? I should be done with all pre reqs by SPR2017 and take the DAT then as well! Thanks for any help in advance :)

GPA: 3.43 oGPA, 3.52 sGPA
DAT: 22AA 24TS 23Bio, 22 Gchem 30 Orgo 20PAT 19RC 16QR
Shadowing: ~200 hours
Volunteering: ~700 hours senior home
Research: 2 semesters, one ochem, one bio
Work: 4 different jobs

I'm a Canadian student, and i have a strong feeling my gpa is too low to get in anywhere as an international:(

applied to 12 schools including NUY, UDM, and Boston

GPA: 3.43 oGPA, 3.52 sGPA
DAT: 22AA 24TS 23Bio, 22 Gchem 30 Orgo 20PAT 19RC 16QR
Shadowing: ~200 hours
Volunteering: ~700 hours senior home
Research: 2 semesters, one ochem, one bio
Work: 4 different jobs

I'm a Canadian student, and i have a strong feeling my gpa is too low to get in anywhere as an international:(

applied to 12 schools including NUY, UDM, and Boston

Your stats are fine, I'm a Canadian too with similar stats (you have a much better DAT (TS, orgo, etc) and I've already received two interviews.

I feel like since I have not heard back yet, I should post my stats and see what you guys think my chances are.
Im a re-applicant. I got an interview and was waitlisted with touro last cycle without the masters grade included.
Application submission date: 06/20/2016
oGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 3.23
Masters GPA: 3.92 (I'm half way through my masters in Biological sciences. Only have two semesters left)
DAT: 19AA, 19 TS, 21 PAT, 19 QR, 18 RC
Shadowing: over 400 hours
Volunteering: over 350 hours
I also held a lot of leadership positions in different organizations through out college and was also a student athlete.

so far I have been rejected by MWU- AZ and have yet to hear back from other schools

Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine
West Virginia University School of Dentistry
Marquette University School of Dentistry
Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona
University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Dentistry
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
University of Nevada, Las Vegas School of Dental Medicine
Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine
Roseman University of Health Sciences College of Dental Medicine
University of New England College of Dental Medicine
Touro College of Dental Medicine at New York Medical College
All three Texas Dental Schools

If you have any suggestions on what I should improve on, please let me know.

Your stats are fine, I'm a Canadian too with similar stats (you have a much better DAT (TS, orgo, etc) and I've already received two interviews.

which schools did u get the interviews for?
hope has returned to my soul:)))

Members don't see this ad :)
So Glad a thread like this exists!

My biggest concern is my oGPA.. I am working hard on the pre reqs right now to boost it up as I did not take them during undergrad. I currently have a B.S.

Current overall GPA: 3.06 (I was an accounting major, and did horrible, hence changing career paths)
- had 1 F, and two NC classes (these were accounting classes)
Current sGPA : 3.5
- missing Orgo I, II and Bio I II,
DAT: not taken yet.
Dental assistant : about a year and a half experience
Shadowing: about 100 hours
LOR: two dentists, couple science professors, no committee letter

Schools interested:
Columbia
NYU
Stony Brook
U Buffalo
Rutgers

Assuming I do ok (at least B) in my remaining pre reqs, what kind of DAT score will I need? I think so far I am projected to get like a 19-20.. I know I have a lot of missing pieces so it might be hard to tell.. but do I have any chances with these schools? I should be done with all pre reqs by SPR2017 and take the DAT then as well! Thanks for any help in advance :)
When's your DAT? How's your volunteering experience? Where do you reside (I'm assuming NY)? You need to kill the pre-reqs. in order to have a decent shot.. if you can't boost your GPA significantly before applying I'd consider a Masters. You should also aim to score higher on the DAT considering your lower GPAs.

GPA: 3.69 oGPA, ~3.61 sGPA
DAT: 24AA, 24TS, 22 Bio, 23 GC, 30 OC, 21RC, 20PAT, 22 QR
Shadowing: ~80 hrs
Volunteering: ~85 hrs
Research: None
Work: Will be an organic chemistry tutor in the Fall 2016 semester
ECs: member of the pre-dental society
Residency: TX

I don't apply until next summer, so I'm positive I'll be able to hit 100 volunteer and shadowing hours by then. My biggest worry though is my EC's

GPA: 3.69 oGPA, ~3.61 sGPA
DAT: 24AA, 24TS, 22 Bio, 23 GC, 30 OC, 21RC, 20PAT, 22 QR
Shadowing: ~80 hrs
Volunteering: ~85 hrs
Work: Will be an organic chemistry tutor in the Fall 2016 semester
ECs: member of the pre-dental society
Residency: TX

I don't apply until next summer, so I'm positive I'll be able to hit 100 volunteer and shadowing hours by then. My biggest worry though is my EC's

Stats like that, you'll get interviews at the TX schools for sure and probably other schools too.

When's your DAT? How's your volunteering experience? Where do you reside (I'm assuming NY)? You need to kill the pre-reqs. in order to have a decent shot.. if you can't boost your GPA significantly before applying I'd consider a Masters. You should also aim to score higher on the DAT considering your lower GPAs.

Thank you for your input!

I am currently still taking pre reqs so I will be taking my DATs afterwards so maybe in June/July. I reside in NY. I do plan on getting nothing but A's in my remaining pre reqs which are Bio 1, 2 Orgo 1, 2 and Biochem.

I am a little confused with how to calculate GPA. During undergrad, I transferred from a CUNY to a SUNY on my sophmore year, so should my overall GPA be calculated from everything from start of freshman year ? My overall GPA is different for the school I graduated from.

Does it matter what type of Masters I apply for (if i already have the pre reqs finished)? Or should it solely be science based?

Also, I don't have much volunteering experience. I mostly worked after undergrad, and during undergrad. I also have management experience, and also worked with autistic kids.

I haven't received any interview invites or supplementals. I'm starting to get a little worried because I was confident in my application when I submitted and I know most of the schools have begun sending out invites for interviews. Should I be adding more schools to have a better chance???

GPA: 4.04 oGPA, 4.03 sGPA
DAT: 20AA, 19TS, 24RC, 18PAT, 20OC, 19GC, 18 BIO, 18QR
Shadowing: 100 hrs
Volunteering: 350 hrs
Work: Jobs every summer (not dental related)
Residency: VA

School list:

Case Western
Tennessee
Pitt
Maryland
West Virginia
Louisville

I haven't received any interview invites or supplementals. I'm starting to get a little worried because I was confident in my application when I submitted and I know most of the schools have begun sending out invites for interviews. Should I be adding more schools to have a better chance???
When did you submit and everything?

I haven't received any interviews yet...can someone tell me if my dat score (QR) might be the reason?

Total GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.8

TS: 21
AA: 20
Bio: 22
Gen Chem: 19
Orgo: 22
Reading: 20
PAT: 20
QR: 16 (I think this is the problem)

Over 300 shadowing
200 dental volunteer
Dental mission
Year of research

Do you think I'm not getting interviews because of the 16 in QR? I'm just trying to determine if this is good enough, or If I need to retake it

I haven't received any interviews yet...can someone tell me if my dat score (QR) might be the reason?

Over 300 shadowing
200 dental volunteer
Dental mission
Year of research

Do you think I'm not getting interviews because of the 16 in QR? I'm just trying to determine if this is good enough, or If I need to retake it
that 16 won't kill you; where did you apply?

Over 300 shadowing
200 dental volunteer
Dental mission
Year of research

Are you from Hawaii? Haha just a guess.

Your extra curriculars are beyond solid, and your DAT is balanced (with the exception of QR). And with a high GPA, you're pretty much guaranteed some interviews. Don't worry and be patient.

I feel like since I have not heard back yet, I should post my stats as well.
Masters GPA: 3.92 (I'm half way through my masters in Biological sciences. Only have two semesters left)
I also held a lot of leadership positions in different organizations through out college and was also a student athlete.
Residency:TX

All 3 TX schools
Touro
Case Western
UNE
NOVA
ATSU
MWU-IL
MWU-AZ
Boston University
West Virginia
UNLV

What do you guys think my chances are?

My GPA just got verified by AADSAS. Do dental schools look at the GPA inc +- or GPA W/O +- ? or both?

Thank you for your input!

I am currently still taking pre reqs so I will be taking my DATs afterwards so maybe in June/July. I reside in NY. I do plan on getting nothing but A's in my remaining pre reqs which are Bio 1, 2 Orgo 1, 2 and Biochem.

I am a little confused with how to calculate GPA. During undergrad, I transferred from a CUNY to a SUNY on my sophmore year, so should my overall GPA be calculated from everything from start of freshman year ? My overall GPA is different for the school I graduated from.

Does it matter what type of Masters I apply for (if i already have the pre reqs finished)? Or should it solely be science based?

Also, I don't have much volunteering experience. I mostly worked after undergrad, and during undergrad. I also have management experience, and also worked with autistic kids.
Your oGPA is a calculation of all schools attended. I transferred universities and went abroad one semester so I had to calculate my entire GPA from all courses I took at each school.

I would apply to a science-oriented masters.. doing well in more upper-level/applied courses will show that you have retained the information you learned in intro. courses and have been able to apply it to more complex topics.

Lastly, improve your volunteer experience! schools want students who are motivated to give back. Make sure you are consistent with volunteering as well.

I feel like since I have not heard back yet, I should post my stats as well.
Residency:TX

All 3 TX schools
Touro
Case Western
UNE
NOVA
ATSU
MWU-IL
MWU-AZ
Boston University
West Virginia
UNLV

What do you guys think my chances are?
Have you been continuing your involvement in ECs? Make sure you keep your app. well-rounded until the time you apply.

Have you been continuing your involvement in ECs? Make sure you keep your app. well-rounded until the time you apply.
Yes I have continued to volunteer with a dental mobile clinic this year and still shadow a dentist. Im also about to pick up a research position. Im just not sure if my undergrad GPA will have a negative effect on my application, even with the high grad GPA

Yes I have continued to volunteer with a dental mobile clinic this year and still shadow a dentist. Im also about to pick up a research position. Im just not sure if my undergrad GPA will have a negative effect on my application, even with the high grad GPA
I'm a firm believer in the impact of upward trends in GPA, so I think that as long as you maintain your current ECs/make the most out of your research experience (you may be asked to elaborate what you did during an interview) and apply broadly then you should receive a few interviews.

I am in relatively the same position as you, except I just completed my Masters. When I applied last year, with a masters in progress, I had a few schools tell me post-denial that they would like to see me complete it, and apply again. I did that, and currently have two interviews at UDM, and MWU-AZ lined up. So with a good masters GPA they appear to not be too worried about undergrad and you definitely have a chance!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My GPA just got verified by AADSAS. Do dental schools look at the GPA inc +- or GPA W/O +- ? or both?
From my understanding, it doesn't really matter because the difference between them is relatively small. They have access to both, maybe each school has different policies but when I tried to search this question there was no clear cut answer

no interviews so far and nervous. reapplicant and all supplementals and materials submitted aug 1st.
3.5 ogpa 3.45 sgpa,
100+ hours on both volunteer and shadowing
I've had jobs, and a little research experience
20AA 19 TS 18 PAT
applied to temple, tuft, case, osu, creighton, mw-az (rejection already), lousiville, nyu, uk, une, roseman

no interviews so far and nervous. reapplicant and all supplementals and materials submitted aug 1st.
3.5 ogpa 3.45 sgpa,
100+ hours on both volunteer and shadowing
I've had jobs, and a little research experience
20AA 19 TS 18 PAT
applied to temple, tuft, case, osu, creighton, mw-az (rejection already), lousiville, nyu, uk, une, roseman
Idk much about any of those schools but I'd be surprised if you don't land a few interviews. How many did you have last cycle? What has changed about your app?

Hello
first of id like to thank in advance to everyone who could guide me through this question. I took my dat today and here are my scores:
Reading comprehension: 22
Bio: 20
gen chem: 22
Organic chem: 30
Total science: 22
Academic average: 22
Ovarall GPA: 3.91
Science GPA: 3.89
I have over 550 hours of dental shadowing, over 300 hours of hospital volunteering and some other Extracurriculars. My only concern is that i got a 16 on quantative reasoning. Is that going to affect my chances a lot? I know im not going to retake because all other scores are good. Is it going to be a big deal?

Idk much about any of those schools but I'd be surprised if you don't land a few interviews. How many did you have last cycle? What has changed about your app?
three interviews last cycle and waitlisted/rejected from them. this cycle i basically went from like 40 volunteering hours to 150 and i'm continuing volunteering. i had a lot of upper level science courses that i took. i'm not sure what else to do as i graduated in may.

Hello
first of id like to thank in advance to everyone who could guide me through this question. I took my dat today and here are my scores:
Reading comprehension: 22
Bio: 20
gen chem: 22
Organic chem: 30
Total science: 22
Academic average: 22
Ovarall GPA: 3.91
Science GPA: 3.89
I have over 550 hours of dental shadowing, over 300 hours of hospital volunteering and some other Extracurriculars. My only concern is that i got a 16 on quantative reasoning. Is that going to affect my chances a lot? I know im not going to retake because all other scores are good. Is it going to be a big deal?
Most schools don't care about QR at all. I don't except you'll have any issues, especially with that GPA!

Most schools don't care about QR at all. I don't except you'll have any issues, especially with that GPA!
Thank you very much. I was just concerned cuz ive read that schools don't pay a lot of importance to qr section. I hope my other scores that are above accepted averages across most schools make up for my low 16 qr score.

Hey everyone, so I just took the DAT on 8/24 and I hope my app isn't too late. My stats are:
PAT: 19
QR: 20
RC: 23
BIO: 22
GC: 22
OC: 27
TS: 23
AA:23
cGPA: 3.78 (inc +-); 3.85 (w/out +-)
sGPA: 3.78 (inc +-); 3.88 (w/out +-)
ECs: shadowing over 120 hrs, volunteering at a health care clinic over 100 hrs, university tutor 2.5 years.
Residency: IL

I'm applying to:
U Pittsburgh
U Penn
UIC
Creighton
U Iowa
Marquette
Rutgers
Might add UNC and U Nebraska if it's not too late?
Great stats! You should be proud of your academic achievements.

I see no reason why you wouldn't receive an interview at UIC and Marquette. Creighton/Iowa/Rutgers probably have more stringent IS/in-region favorability UPenn you also have a great shot, I know numerous individuals who've gotten admission offers whose stats were significantly lower than yours. I also don't believe that any schools you've applied to (with UNC/Pittsburgh being outliers) are heavily research-oriented, therefore your lack of experience in that area is negligible given your other ECs/accomplishments.

Good luck!

GPA: 3.73 oGPA, 3.74 sGPA
DAT: 19AA, 17TS, 23RC, 21QR, 20PAT, Bio 14 (retaking in 2 weeks)
Shadowing: 80 hrs
Volunteering: Student run dental clinic, and various food bank/random volunteering
Research: Studied spectroscopy for nanoparticle/amide interactions
Work: General and Organic chemistry lab assistant. Orgo Chem Synthesis Intern
Residency: IN

School list: (in order of interest)

Indiana
Ohio State
Michigan
Marquette
Louisville
Kentucky

I'm guessing as long as my DAT retake improves the bio section, I will have no issues. Never hurts to have a second opinion, however.
I hope to see you in Indy dental school, graduate from Purdue.

Remove buffalo. You are neither Canadian or from NY.
That is unfair, why Canadian have better chance than American from other states rather than NY! I will sue dental school if they admit more Canadian than American.

Hello everyone,

GPA: ~3.4 (upward trend; ~3.9 last 45 credits) sGPA: ~3.03 (BCP: 3.31)
AA:23 PAT: 21 QR: 21 RC: 22 BIO: 20 GC: 23 OC: 27 TS: 22
shadowing: ~100 hours
Work: Campus Recreation Center
Residency: NJ
Volunteering: ~200 hours from assistant high school wrestling coaching and Greek Life requirements
EC: President of fraternity, 1x Collegiate National Champion in Powerlifting (4x record holder)

School list:
Rutgers
Temple (I took Orgo I and II from a community college though, wasn't sure if it'd be okay)
Maryland
NYU
USC
LECOM
Touro
Case Western
VCU

I'm submitting my application in a couple of days (Just took the DAT today 9/2) and was wondering what my chances are at these schools and if I should add/remove any options. Any feedback is great, thank you!

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Volunteering: ~200 hours from assistant high school wrestling coaching and Greek Life requirements
EC: President of fraternity, 1x Collegiate National Champion in Powerlifting (4x record holder)

School list:
Rutgers
Temple (I took Orgo I and II from a community college though, wasn't sure if it'd be okay)
Maryland
NYU
USC
LECOM
Touro
Case Western
VCU

I'm submitting my application in a couple of days (Just took the DAT today 9/2) and was wondering what my chances are at these schools and if I should add/remove any options. Any feedback is great, thank you!
What do you bench?

Reactions: 6 users
Hello everyone,

School list:
Rutgers
Maryland
NYU
USC
LECOM
Touro
Case Western
VCU

I think you have a pretty fair shot at the schools you listed.

Mailed out 9/2

GPA: 3.64 with upward trend, sGPA: 3.57, BCP: 3.60 (Bio Major)
AA:21 PAT: 19 QR: 18 RC: 21 BIO: 20 GC: 22 OC: 22 TS: 21
Shadowing: ~225 hours
Research: 400+ in an organic chemistry lab
Volunteering: ~150 hours
Residency: GA

Dental College of GA
UAB
Buffalo
UK

I know I'm a little late in the cycle, but what are my chances? Should I add some more schools?

Thanks!

Mailed out 9/2

GPA: 3.64 with upward trend, sGPA: 3.57, BCP: 3.60 (Bio Major)
AA:21 PAT: 19 QR: 18 RC: 21 BIO: 20 GC: 22 OC: 22 TS: 21
Shadowing: ~225 hours
Research: 400+ in an organic chemistry lab
Volunteering: ~150 hours
Residency: GA

Dental College of GA
UAB
Buffalo
UK

I know I'm a little late in the cycle, but what are my chances? Should I add some more schools?

Thanks!

Too late in the cycle. May need to retake DAT. RC too low.

Too late in the cycle. May need to retake DAT. RC too low.

I agree about it being late in the cycle but since when is a 21 RC low?

Also OP, go ahead and continue the process. It's still early September and you probably still have a chance for pre December interviews!

I agree about it being late in the cycle but since when is a 21 RC low?

Also OP, go ahead and continue the process. It's still early September and you probably still have a chance for pre December interviews!

It was a joke lol