Post your MCAT daily study routine!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quiksilver87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just was wondering what your typical day during an MCAT study period would look like!
Heres mine:

Wake up at 7
Eat sandwich for breakfast and take brewer's yeast + fish oil
Go outside for about 5-10 minutes to take in the sun...
Go to library ~8:30 am
Study untill 3:30 (have snack ~12:30)
Eat again at 4...take B vitamin supplement + fish oil
go to gym from 5:00 - 6:00 pm
Go to Princeton review class 7:00 - 9:30 (MTWTh)
Go home and eat light meal...Shower...
Sleep ~11:00pm
Rinse and repeat
(my diet rules are low sugar... no caffeine!)

I just ordered some rhodiola rosea supplement...Its supposed to give you mental stamina...Has anyone tried it?
I just started on monday and am still getting used to the sleep cycle...Im taking the MCAT on august 14!!

I took my first TPR diag and got a 3V 5PS 8BS ==> 16L Total
How do you suggest I study for my verbal?? Did anyone else suck this bad at verbal?? And yes, my primary language is English!

Members don't see this ad.

My schedule will look similar but my TPR class is in the morning.

Wake up 7am
Workout, walk the puppy, eat breakfast, shower.
TPR class 10-12:30 (MTWTF)
12:30-1:30 eat, relax
1:30-6:30 study, do homework from class
6:30-7:30 eat
7:30-? go over any problem areas from class, read what we will be doing the next day in class

Saturdays will be reserved for practice tests and laying out and enjoying the summer
Sundays I will go over my Saturday practice tests.

I will start this schedule on June 1st when my TPR class starts. I will take the MCAT Aug. 20

I am thinking of getting the rosea stuff too. I have heard great things about it.

Just to comment on the rhodiola rosea..it's a great nootropic supplement. I make my own "study" pills or whatever you want to call them and they contain a combination of caffeine, piracetam, phenibut, ALCAR (Acetyl-L-Carnitine), cocamine, rodiola rosea, and a special ingredient. It really helps with mental focus and concentration :)

Wow, you people are hardcore. Is this the Olympics or something?:laugh:

Mine were "study anywhere between 2 and 8 hours a day whenever possible 6 days a week, take the 7th day completely off." That's it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone say drug dependency? do the B supplements/fish oil/ complicated sounding eastern sounding herb help alot? I mean we could go on gingko biloba but I'm afriad of the placebo effect where if I don't take it it means im screwed

can anyone say drug dependency? do the B supplements/fish oil/ complicated sounding eastern sounding herb help alot? I mean we could go on gingko biloba but I'm afriad of the placebo effect where if I don't take it it means im screwed

Fish oil, specifically omega-3 fatty acids have been shown in studies to increase attention-span and ultimately, increase concentration. Could be a helpful supplement to children suffering from ADHD

Fish oil, specifically omega-3 fatty acids have been shown in studies to increase attention-span and ultimately, increase concentration. Could be a helpful supplement to children suffering from ADHD

thats y i just take my friends ritalin. hes got bad ADD but i found that it makes me wanna study. ive only tried it once. dont think ill be doing it again, kinda scared about side affects on a normal persons brain chemistry lol.

schedule:
wake up at 730
workout till 9
shower, high carb protein shake, then library at 10
study till 2, 15 min break
study till 6, then eat
study from 7-1030ish
:sleep: by 11.

U HAVE TO EXERCISE PPL. ITLL GIVE U SO MUCH ENERGY ITS RIDICULOUOS

I've heard from different testimonials that yes Ritalin will help you when you take it...but the crash afterwards is insane! Though it may help you focus, I think it will f--- you up in the long run unless you have ADHD or hyper-active. There's a reason why it's prescription. :scared:

Hehe... you guys are totally hardcore.

Here's mine:

Wake up: 8:30ish
Eat/minor cleaning: 9:00
Watch Today show till 10:00
Start studying @ around 10:30ish - 3:30ish

We're putting our house up on sale (yay!! I'm so happy we're leaving Florida & going back to the midwest!!) so I spend a couple of hours painting the house & doing whatever other crap needs to be done before you sell your house.

8:00 - 11:00- hang out/relax
sleep!! @ 11

here's mine:

1) keep MCAT book in the bathroom
2) consume at least 20g fiber daily

I don't think anyone wants to follow this schedule. I'm cramming with only a few weeks before the 5/31 MCAT, so I have to put in 10 hrs a day. I've been keeping it up so far since this past Monday.

7:00-8:00am Wake up & get ready
8:00-8:30 Feed dog, eat & motivate to start studying by looking at study agenda
8:30-11:30 STUDY
11:30-2:00 Take break (SDN/phone calls/AAMC site), walk dog, eat lunch
2:00-5:30 STUDY
5:30-7:00 Take break (SDN/phone calls/AAMC site), feed dog, walk dog, eat
7:00-10:30 STUDY
10:30-11:00pm Get ready for bed & SLEEP.

If I didn't have a dog, I definitely wouldn't even get outside most days. Or walk more than a few steps a day, for that matter. Oh, and notice there is NO TELEVISION involved. Tivo is the devil. Second only to SDN. That is all.

thats y i just take my friends ritalin. hes got bad ADD but i found that it makes me wanna study. ive only tried it once. dont think ill be doing it again, kinda scared about side affects on a normal persons brain chemistry lol.

schedule:
wake up at 730
workout till 9
shower, high carb protein shake, then library at 10
study till 2, 15 min break
study till 6, then eat
study from 7-1030ish
:sleep: by 11.

U HAVE TO EXERCISE PPL. ITLL GIVE U SO MUCH ENERGY ITS RIDICULOUOS

be careful with the ritalin. I wouldn't advise making it a part of your daily study routine. Ritalin, like adderall, will increase levels of dopamine in your brain resulting in intense concentration; however, you will "crash". Since the levels of dopamine are so high at some point, they have to go below normal levels just to maintain equilibrium...that's why after a few hours you might feel depressed, tired, and have headaches.

Muscles...you are crazy making your own pills! I think you are going overboard!
So im guessing its a yes for rhodiola rosea??

Vicin...Just dont stop taking the ginko untill after the MCAT! If you are already aware of the placebo effect then im sure you wont get affected by too much...

I think the most important thing with the study schedule is getting your sleep cycle correct. Go to sleep and wake up AT THE SAME TIME everyday. You will feel much more refreshed when you wake up. I am currently trying to get used to the cycle because I cant get myself fall asleep at 11 pm. But, my lack of sleep will soon catch up with me!

Also try to get sunlight...It will help wake you up! It has to do with your pineal gland and melatonin production. look it up!

Members don't see this ad :)

overboard? haha i dont think so. I'm not even studying for the MCAT yet. I'm not saying I take the pills..I just make them ;) But I'm sure they'll come handy when I do start studying for the MCAT.

And it's a yes for the rhodiola rosea!!

Vicin...Just dont stop taking the ginko untill after the MCAT! If you are already aware of the placebo effect then im sure you wont get affected by too much...

I think the most important thing with the study schedule is getting your sleep cycle correct. Go to sleep and wake up AT THE SAME TIME everyday. You will feel much more refreshed when you wake up. I am currently trying to get used to the cycle because I cant get myself fall asleep at 11 pm. But, my lack of sleep will soon catch up with me!

Also try to get sunlight...It will help wake you up! It has to do with your pineal gland and melatonin production. look it up!

Amen, I'm in the same boat..I wake up around noon and study till 1-2 in the morning (not throughout the entire day, but a lot of it). I'm trying to slowly change my sleep schedule so I will be fully awake and ready to go by noon on test day (31st). Yeah I'm a huge night owl...

Muscles, you might want to refrain from taking those pills untill you know the synergistic effects of the compounds you put in there. You may know what each compoud does, but their combined effect could be harmful...Still, many of these nootropics are not very well studied so you dont know the exact effects on the human body.

Karan...I think Im gonna adjust my sleep schedule to that ~1month before the MCAT...probably become a night owl too...

LOL,jobs suck...MCAT is a job in itself. I still volunteer from time to time though.

I don't think anyone wants to follow this schedule. I'm cramming with only a few weeks before the 5/31 MCAT, so I have to put in 10 hrs a day. I've been keeping it up so far since this past Monday.

7:00-8:00am Wake up & get ready
8:00-8:30 Feed dog, eat & motivate to start studying by looking at study agenda
8:30-11:30 STUDY
11:30-2:00 Take break (SDN/phone calls/AAMC site), walk dog, eat lunch
2:00-5:30 STUDY
5:30-7:00 Take break (SDN/phone calls/AAMC site), feed dog, walk dog, eat
7:00-10:30 STUDY
10:30-11:00pm Get ready for bed & SLEEP.

If I didn't have a dog, I definitely wouldn't even get outside most days. Or walk more than a few steps a day, for that matter. Oh, and notice there is NO TELEVISION involved. Tivo is the devil. Second only to SDN. That is all.

I totally agree about the dog thing. My puppy is new and we go on walks all the time. It is so nice to get outdoors and walk. I would have never explored the neighboorhood I live in had I not had a dog. I mean, I do get out to run every now and then, but it is different when it is just you and your "man's best friend".

Alrite, this is the schedule I will follow once I quit my full-time job on May 25th
I will be taking the MCAT in Sept:

Mon: Biology=> review materials for 4 hrs starting @ 9am-1pm; go work out then lunch till 3pm; do EK practice problems for another 4hrs starting @ 3pm-7pm; do abs for 30min; shower; dinner. Start doing verbal @9pm-10pm; watch some comedy then sleep @ 12am.

Tues: Organic=> review materials for 4 hrs starting 9am-1pm; no work out today so will use that time to be out in the sun and then lunch and naptime till 3pm; do EK practice problems for another 4hrs starting @ 3pm-7pm; do abs for 30min; shower; dinner. Start doing verbal @9pm-10pm; watch TV, relax, do whatever then sleep @ 12am.

Wed: Physics=> same as Mon

Thurs: Chemistry=> same as Tues

Fri: Verbal=> wake up 7am; stretch, eat and be at the library @9am; I will use the library online resource to read the economist, NY times, and all kinds of materials for 4hrs...yes just straight reading like crazy; go work out then lunch till 3pm; go back to the library and read some more and do EK verbal passages for another 4 hrs. till 7pm; might go over my gf's house and do something with her tonight...whatever u know...

Sat.: Practice test baby

Sun: go to work (family business, so have to, got no choice) in the morning; review practice test in the evening as much as possible.

:( I know this will be my life for 4 long ass months till sept. oh yeah, I will go to North Carolina in June and Virginia in July, so that should be a nice little vacation for me I guess:p

Alrite, this is the schedule I will follow once I quit my full-time job on May 25th
I will be taking the MCAT in Sept:

Mon: Biology=> review materials for 4 hrs starting @ 9am-1pm; go work out then lunch till 3pm; do EK practice problems for another 4hrs starting @ 3pm-7pm; do abs for 30min; shower; dinner. Start doing verbal @9pm-10pm; watch some comedy then sleep @ 12am.

Tues: Organic=> review materials for 4 hrs starting 9am-1pm; no work out today so will use that time to be out in the sun and then lunch and naptime till 3pm; do EK practice problems for another 4hrs starting @ 3pm-7pm; do abs for 30min; shower; dinner. Start doing verbal @9pm-10pm; watch TV, relax, do whatever then sleep @ 12am.

Wed: Physics=> same as Mon

Thurs: Chemistry=> same as Tues

Fri: Verbal=> wake up 7am; stretch, eat and be at the library @9am; I will use the library online resource to read the economist, NY times, and all kinds of materials for 4hrs...yes just straight reading like crazy; go work out then lunch till 3pm; go back to the library and read some more and do EK verbal passages for another 4 hrs. till 7pm; might go over my gf's house and do something with her tonight...whatever u know...

Sat.: Practice test baby

Sun: go to work (family business, so have to, got no choice) in the morning; review practice test in the evening as much as possible.

:( I know this will be my life for 4 long ass months till sept. oh yeah, I will go to North Carolina in June and Virginia in July, so that should be a nice little vacation for me I guess:p

lookin good, but I would suggest 1 thing...Continue this schedule for ~25 days...by this time you should be done with the material...
After that, just slam the practice tests + problems...Also, try to sleep and wake up at the exact same time....

Whatever you take in will be "flagged". If you don't know what I mean, I'm referring to a particular Seinfeld episode :laugh:

LOL - that was a classic. and by the transitive property, george always knew the best nearby place to study, no matter where you were in city

Sorry, but don't you people have classes? When do you go to school?

I know this post isn't very helpful but you guys are nuts! How can you study for the MCAT that much? Esp for you guys taking it later in Sept and August, you will feel the burnout. I hope you guys can maintain this schedule without killing yourselves.

I feel that even if I study any topic on the MCAT all day long, I always end up (on the tough questions like 30% of the time) relying on intellect and no amount of studying would ever help with. Does anyone else feel the same? Sometimes I feel its more useful just understanding the basics than studying every detail for hours.

I know this post isn't very helpful but you guys are nuts! How can you study for the MCAT that much? Esp for you guys taking it later in Sept and August, you will feel the burnout. I hope you guys can maintain this schedule without killing yourselves.

I feel that even if I study any topic on the MCAT all day long, I always end up (on the tough questions like 30% of the time) relying on intellect and no amount of studying would ever help with. Does anyone else feel the same? Sometimes I feel its more useful just understanding the basics than studying every detail for hours.

im taking it late august. i study roughly 10-12 hours a day. about my 3rd week into studying for mcats and the burnout is definately kicking in. finding it harder and harder to focus and study, but i feel like im behind for some reason. i think im just scared that i have 3 months left and its not nearly enough time. perhaps freaking out for nothing? but im too scared to leave it to chance. id rather be burned out and prepared then fully awake and confused.

10-12 hours a day is just insane! Im doing about 8-9 hours! Feeling the burn on my 6th day! I want to get the material down first and then just start slamming my practice exams and problems. The thing with studying that long a day is that by the 6-7th hour, your cognitive abilities greatly decrease and the amount of information you take in per amount of time begins to get very low! So the extra 3-4 hours you put in makes a very small difference! But, I would definitely suggest doing 5-6 hours in a row because that is how long the MCAT test is.

No, we dont have jobs or classes...We took this summer fully off so we can study for the MCAT! I will probably do a little volunteering and some research ,but nothing more!

btw scotties are you seriously taking ritalin? LOL

10-12 hours a day is just insane! Im doing about 8-9 hours! Feeling the burn on my 6th day! I want to get the material down first and then just start slamming my practice exams and problems. The thing with studying that long a day is that by the 6-7th hour, your cognitive abilities greatly decrease and the amount of information you take in per amount of time begins to get very low! So the extra 3-4 hours you put in makes a very small difference! But, I would definitely suggest doing 5-6 hours in a row because that is how long the MCAT test is.

No, we dont have jobs or classes...We took this summer fully off so we can study for the MCAT! I will probably do a little volunteering and some research ,but nothing more!

btw scotties are you seriously taking ritalin? LOL

lol no, i said i only took it once to try it out and that im not doing it again because im scared of the side effects. im not a ritalin junky.
and it does get tough to learn things by the end of the day, but my strategy is to hit the material as much as possible for about 2 and a half months then spend the last month or so doing all practice exams and focusing on weaknesses. its just that wenever i do less than 10 hours a day i feel like im screwing myself over. probably just excessive mcat paranoia but im going to take an AAMC in about a week or so and depending on how i do on that ill either stay at my current level of studying or tone it down. ive always gotten 10-12 in verbal so im expecting the same, but if i can get a 7 or 8 in physics and at least a 9 in bio then ill definately cut it down to about 5-6 hours a day.

lol no, i said i only took it once to try it out and that im not doing it again because im scared of the side effects. im not a ritalin junky.
and it does get tough to learn things by the end of the day, but my strategy is to hit the material as much as possible for about 2 and a half months then spend the last month or so doing all practice exams and focusing on weaknesses. its just that wenever i do less than 10 hours a day i feel like im screwing myself over. probably just excessive mcat paranoia but im going to take an AAMC in about a week or so and depending on how i do on that ill either stay at my current level of studying or tone it down. ive always gotten 10-12 in verbal so im expecting the same, but if i can get a 7 or 8 in physics and at least a 9 in bio then ill definately cut it down to about 5-6 hours a day.

I guess that is OK...But, I would honestly spend more time on doing practice passages and tests. But, thats just my preference.
Oh so you are one of those verbal freaks...I just suck at verbal. I got a 3 on my freakin first diagnostic test on verbal...How do you do it? What strategy do you use?

Muscles, you might want to refrain from taking those pills untill you know the synergistic effects of the compounds you put in there. You may know what each compoud does, but their combined effect could be harmful...Still, many of these nootropics are not very well studied so you dont know the exact effects on the human body.

You bring up a good point and you're 100% right. Although I do know these compounds fairly well on an individual basis, I'm not 100% sure how they work synergestically; however, this is not out of the norm. The majority of supplement companies out there do the same thing. Once again, I'm not saying I take these pills on a daily basis. Heck, to be completely honest, I probably take them about once every 2-3 weeks.

I guess that is OK...But, I would honestly spend more time on doing practice passages and tests. But, thats just my preference.
Oh so you are one of those verbal freaks...I just suck at verbal. I got a 3 on my freakin first diagnostic test on verbal...How do you do it? What strategy do you use?

honestly, ive never really done anything special for verbal. ive always liked reading, but the funny thing is i never really read in my spare time lol. kinda weird. All i do are TPR practice passages (7-9 every other day) and i just ordered the ek 101 passages, which should be in about a week from now. and even tho im scoring what i think is decent, im at a plateau and i canNOT get past a 12 no matter what i try. i dunno what else to do but im hoping more practice will help me maybe. its really just the humanities passages that stick it where the sun dont shine. best tip i cud give u is:
GO INTO THE PASSAGE THINKING THIS IS THE COOLEST **** IVE EVER SEEN BEFORE!!!! thats what i do. and take a 5 second breather between passages, its not that much time "wasted" and it clears ur head for the next passage.

i just completed aamc 4 and it was completely worthless. i was hoping to zoom in on some weakpoints and guess what?! i got 1-2 questions wrong in just about each topic:confused: . i dunno, i guess i gotta go back and review everything. i was really hoping to be able to tone down my study level too. 10-12 hours/day now, i got a 9 in bio and the usual 11 in verbal. PS i only got an 7, but i got 3 months left. ima stay hardcore for a few more weeks, then take another exam. if i can get that PS to 11 and bio to 12-13 ill be able to tone down, and maybe take my mcat in july instead of august. i guess time will tell....

i just completed aamc 4 and it was completely worthless. i was hoping to zoom in on some weakpoints and guess what?! i got 1-2 questions wrong in just about each topic:confused: . i dunno, i guess i gotta go back and review everything. i was really hoping to be able to tone down my study level too. 10-12 hours/day now, i got a 9 in bio and the usual 11 in verbal. PS i only got an 7, but i got 3 months left. ima stay hardcore for a few more weeks, then take another exam. if i can get that PS to 11 and bio to 12-13 ill be able to tone down, and maybe take my mcat in july instead of august. i guess time will tell....

Maybe you should study not the entire materials but perhaps what TYPE of questions your are missing. IE if you are missing concept questions, study more concepts. Calculation questions, do more problems. I am sure you can study more efficiently than just like 9 hours of work.

Are you going over the questions you get wrong and making sure you completely understand them? If I go over a questions I got wrong and I still can't get it right or understand, I will search the internet and find the answer/solution or ask a friend who would know. Typically, once I do this, the concept is solid and stuck in long-term memory!

Maybe you should study not the entire materials but perhaps what TYPE of questions your are missing. IE if you are missing concept questions, study more concepts. Calculation questions, do more problems. I am sure you can study more efficiently than just like 9 hours of work.

Are you going over the questions you get wrong and making sure you completely understand them? If I go over a questions I got wrong and I still can't get it right or understand, I will search the internet and find the answer/solution or ask a friend who would know. Typically, once I do this, the concept is solid and stuck in long-term memory!

yea its completely random lol. some concepts, some just pure equations i fail to memorize correctly. im just gona hit everything again hardcore. it shud be easier this second time around, its mostly just review now.

Dont worry scotties...You are doing great! 3 months is a long time and im sure you will see great improvement. Im guessing you should go over the material one more time to review all the equations and concepts (as you said).

I know I can do well on the sciences, but I think i will do what you said and just try your strategy : "THINK THE VERBAL PASSAGE THAT IM READING IS THE COOLEST **** IVE EVER READ LOL"...

i don't know how people study during the afternoon. i usually wake up and begin studying by 8/9 am until about 2pm then im just sleepy as hell. i drink coffee, but it never helps in this situation; maybe it's the cold air in the library or wherever i may study that day (a mixture of lib, starbucks, barnes and noble just to make things interesting and different each day). i start again around 5pm and end by 10/11pm.

i don't know how people study during the afternoon. i usually wake up and begin studying by 8/9 am until about 2pm then im just sleepy as hell. i drink coffee, but it never helps in this situation; maybe it's the cold air in the library or wherever i may study that day (a mixture of lib, starbucks, barnes and noble just to make things interesting and different each day). i start again around 5pm and end by 10/11pm.

exercise every morning before u start studying. even if u just run, run for at least a half hour. it gets the heart pumping and gives u energy throughout the entire day. give it a week or so, ull definately see a difference

wow wow wow.
i feel like a bum.

9:30 get up, shower, etc.
10:15 - 12:15 TA in A&P Lab
12:45 - 1:30 Lunch
1:30 - 3:30 Nap
3:30 - 6:00 MCAT
6:00 - 6:30 Supper
6:45 - 2:00 MCAT

exercise every morning before u start studying. even if u just run, run for at least a half hour. it gets the heart pumping and gives u energy throughout the entire day. give it a week or so, ull definately see a difference

i've done this and it really works!!! only downside is that i crash and burn early in the evening.

how are you work out ppl doing it?

You guys are freaking nuts, how do you study for so long each day?

I think I am only able to put in about 3-4 hours of studying a day despite having the entire day to study.

I just can't get myself to do more...

be careful with the ritalin. I wouldn't advise making it a part of your daily study routine. Ritalin, like adderall, will increase levels of dopamine in your brain resulting in intense concentration; however, you will "crash". Since the levels of dopamine are so high at some point, they have to go below normal levels just to maintain equilibrium...that's why after a few hours you might feel depressed, tired, and have headaches.

How about if you take Ritalin for about 1 month prior to the exam (to make sure no severe side effects will get in the way on the exam day) including the exam day. Then, stop taking it once the exam is over.
How would you convince a doc to write you a prescription, though?
Any ideas?

lol, please dont take ritalin! Just keep it natural...
About the people who cant stay going for more than 3-4 hours a day. This is the case with all of us, but we take breaks. 10 mins 20 mins whatever...
If that is insufficient...Take a 2 hour break and go do something else then come back...Your mind will be refreshed.
Its all about the routine. You must be able to build up mental stamina for the exam. Studying is a great way.

lol, please dont take ritalin! Just keep it natural...
About the people who cant stay going for more than 3-4 hours a day. This is the case with all of us, but we take breaks. 10 mins 20 mins whatever...
If that is insufficient...Take a 2 hour break and go do something else then come back...Your mind will be refreshed.
Its all about the routine. You must be able to build up mental stamina for the exam. Studying is a great way.

ok i guess im to blame for the ritalin idea lol. i mentioned taking it ONCE to test its effects, it works fine, but u crash like crazy after and dont wanna do crap (pill lasts about 4 hours). and as far as prescriptions go, i dont needem i got like 3 friends that are ADD and eatem like theyre skittles. i can gettem from them wenever i want. but i dont. ritalin topic closed :laugh:

wow, seems like everyones got a strict schedule......but i guess you gotta do what works for u, good luck to all!!

Ok, I just looked up Ritalin and it is true that it does help pple to focus and stuff, but this drug is only prescribed for pple with ADHD...man, I ain't no way near ADHD, and plus I dont want to get addicted to this damn drug...well, not yet:smuggrin: Another thing about my MCAT schedule that I posted, I forgot to mention that it is only tentative; ****ty things do come in ur way when u try to study for the MCAT...but @ least when I have a strict schedule like that, I'll tend to push myself more when I slack off :smuggrin: