Postbac interview questions, specifically Goucher and Bryn Mawr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snorkelingdoc2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All:

Scheduled to have an interview at the two above postbacs. I know some of you have been accepted already at Goucher, could you please all give me some advice on the EXACT interview quesitons they asked you.

Please also tell me who exactly interviewed you (name, rank and serial :), and if you remember their exact questions.

Can you remember much about the interview itself, and the day of. Anything memorable, such as visiting campus or did you sit in with classes? Were admissions particularly friendly or not really? Or were they out to get you/maim you?!

I'm presuming they asked med school type questions like:

why do you want to go to med school.
why goucher?
why have you now decided to go to med school ...
etc ...

but did they also ask you questions which are similar to job interview questions?, like:

Tell me about your weaknesses, strengths?
Tell me about how you've managed your time in a tough project deadline?
Tell me when you have had problem and have had to find a solution which involved others?
Tell me something you are particularly proud of?
Tell me of non academic achievements
If you could talk to a dead person only once, who would it be.
Tell me about someone you admire/your hero
If you had only 1 week to live what would you do (asides spending time with family/friends).

(And other non seemingly non-sensical questions?, or were these questions mainly of the med school type, i.e. why you want to go to med school etc).

Thanks for ALL the responses! REALLY appreciate it. Please no flaming, I am really worried/excited/nervous!

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, they'll ask you a little of everything, but not too much about the healthcare system, i.e. you don't have to have a solution to malpractice and probably won't be asked if abortion is right or wrong.

But you may want to ditch your "exact questions" approach. They may throw things at you that are new and that will make you think on your feet. Besides, if you think about "exact" answers, it'll sound canned.

My advice is to think about who you are and what you value, and maybe a few scenario-type, famous historical figure questions. But that's it. A stilted but honest and thoughtful answer is better than one that seems a little too well-rehearsed.

Good luck!

snorkelingdoc2b said:
Hello All:

Scheduled to have an interview at the two above postbacs. I know some of you have been accepted already at Goucher, could you please all give me some advice on the EXACT interview quesitons they asked you.

I hope I'm not too late here...

I did my Goucher interview back in fall '02, but I doubt it has changed much. ;) You've got the basic idea about the questions and types of questions, so prep for what you already have listed and you should be fine. One thing to keep in mind if you interview with Liza, the program director, is that every single one of my classmates who interviewed with her, including me, came out of their interview thinking they had COMPLETELY bombed it and there was no way they were getting in. She has a very stern poker-face in interviews and can really go after topics like weaknesses or concerns, and is generally very difficult to read. Don't let it fluster you, just keep talking and doing your best. If you feel like she hates you afterwards, don't worry and don't stress until you get the letter in the mail. ;)

Take advantage of the tour to ask your hard questions! The current TA is a great guy and will be straight with you as much as he can. If you have any other questions about the Goucher program, feel free to PM me, too.

Good luck!! :luck: