Postbac timeline + Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Torsten22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

First of all let me just say I appreciate whoever takes gets a chance to read this thread and any advice you guys could offer.
I'm a recent grad (May 2017) with a degree in bio from my state college "already with a gap year under my belt"- 2.9GPA (sGPA ~2.7) - took a big hit my junior and senior year of college. I was recently accepted to post-bac program in my state - after speaking with admissions and advisors I was advised to retake several courses (OChem I/II) (Biochem) (An&P I/II) (Microbio) and the rest would be upper-level courses "my grades for the intro courses ranging from A to B-" 18-26 credits overall to complete the program for students with science background like myself.

Overall profile:
+200 clinical - ED/clinic - I will be working as Scribe and continue volunteering at my local hospital and several nursing homes.
+100 nonclinical - clubs and organization
+20 shadowing experience - working on that
1-semester research...
Just for curiosity; I was planning on applying to several competitive SMPs but realized I might not be a complete applicant for a lot of those 1-year programs. I've spent 2 months of MCAT content review and recently took 2 practice tests my scores were 506 - 509. 1- Seeing that I got accepted to a post-bac would it be better to wait until next year to take the MCAT or take it by the end of this summer if i continued studying throughout June and July. I am worried about expiration before I apply.

My timeline is something like this: fall 2018 (classes) -> spring 2019 (classes) -> summer (research+mcat) -> fall 2019 (classes) -> spring 2020 (classes) -> summer (send out applications)
I am currently scheduled to take 3 courses this fall - 9 credits. 2- would anyone recommend taking a 4th class? or focus on getting solid As for this semester and move on from there. Another issue is my lack of research, something i am really interested in. 3- Would it be viable to pursue a little bit of research while doing post-bac, Scribe and volunteering at the same time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you thinking going MD or DO? Research is not needed for DO. I would suggest you to focus on your science classes and at the same time do some volunteer and shadowing DO. The reason I'm saying DO is because your GPA is too low for MD. You should take full load of classes and ace it and show to the adcoms that you can handle med school. Take MCAT only if you feel you are ready, don't rush it. Your MCAT score won't be expiring for 3 years if that's what you mean. You can also do SMP once your GPA>3.0.
All the best!!!

Thank you. I will be applying to both MD and DO schools if my stats allow it, definitely targeting more DOs than MDs. Yeah my main focus right now would be to ace every course I take and I think 515+ is very doable with the timeline and my experience with MCAT studying. I'm not really sure of an SMP, I feel like the only case I would follow thru with SMP if I'm able to take courses next up thru next summer and enroll at an SMP by the following fall semester.