Postbac.. What is realistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeavenOrLasVegas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am planning on attending a post-baccalaureate program this coming summer (2016), and have a few questions regarding what I should be aiming for. I have not completed any prerequisite coursework and my stats are as follows:

Major: Economics @ University of Kentucky
uGPA: 3.0
ACT: 31

For what its worth, I would like to stress that I absolutely DID NOT put forth a substantial effort in undergrad, and am definitely capable of much better performance-wise. Are top-tier programs such as JHU, Goucher, Scripps, etc. completely out of reach? I am undoubtedly attracted to the personal attention and learning potential offered by the smaller programs, but at the same time I realize the degree of selectivity when it comes to applicants. Other programs I am considering are Columbia, Loyola, Northwestern, and HES just to name a few. I would LOVE to go back to my home city of Louisville, KY and attend UofL's postbac, but the minimum GPA requirement is 3.3. I would appreciate any suggestions as to (a) where I should consider applying (b) if there are any attainable (for me) programs with good advising/personal attention (c) if anyone has been in a similar situation, and has relevant advice to offer. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I am in the middle of the app process, but with a good ACT score like that you might want to consider UVA and GW. It's also worth reaching out directly to Goucher, JHU, Scripps, and Bryn Mawr to see if it's worth you applying to them.

A 3.0 cGPA will not be competitive for the top-tier programs that you mentioned. Getting into a post-bacc program will not be difficult for you as many of them do have relaxed entry requirements (and are more than happy to take your money); however, you will likely require additional years of GPA repair beyond the typical pre-med course requirements in order to be competitive for medical school down the road.

Thanks for the replies. At this point, I'm strongly leaning towards HES. It's hard to get an accurate picture of the different programs due to the mixed reviews on SDN. Has anyone had recent experience at Harvard Extension? I know it may be asking a lot on this forum, but an unbiased opinion would be great.