Postbacc Programs with Guaranteed Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kodyfied

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking to applying to some post-bacc programs after an unsuccessful application process to medical schools this year. I know I'm probably a bit late in applying to post-bacc programs, but I think I'll take my chances, seeing as how desperate I am getting. I have some questions, though, that I hope you all can answer. Also, when I'm talking about post-bacc programs they will have to be programs that are geared to strengthening my application, since I have already taken all the basic science preqrequisite courses. (I understand some post-bacc programs require that you have not taken the basic science courses yet.)

1) What good post-bacc programs are there that will give students guaranteed admission into their medical school? I of course understand that this will come with factors, such as being the top #% of the class.

2) What post-bacc programs are not too late to apply to at this point? So far all I know of is Georgetown.

3) I'm a bit confused as to how Georgetown helps strengthen your application. I understand that if you are accepted to their program they want you to apply to medical schools (AMCAS) before you begin their program in August. This way you will hopefully be able to start medical school right after you're done with Georgetown. So that means that I'll be applying to medical school with all the same statistics as this year (bad GPA, low MCAT score). Of course there will be one addition to the application, that I'm in the Georgetown program. How exactly will this increase my chances of getting interviews with medical schools? Do I send them my first semester grades from Georgetown right after I get them, and hope to get late interviews for medical school?

I currently have an undergrad GPA 3.0 and MCAT 27O. Do you think I should be retaking the MCAT before I apply to medical schools again this summer, while (hopefully) being in a postbacc program? Obviously, I'm confused on the whole timing factor.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are looking for an SMP (Special Masters Program). There is a ton of info on SMPs on SDN if you do a search. Another way to research is to go onto the websites of different schools and see if they have an SMP. If it looks interesting, call them or email them with questions. Or research the program on SDN. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them guarantee admission, but I might be wrong about that. From what I gather, these programs are difficult, but if you do well, they can really help out your GPA and help you get into med school!

Sorry I don't know anything about your other questions...good luck and keep at it.

Hello, I'm looking to applying to some post-bacc programs after an unsuccessful application process to medical schools this year. I know I'm probably a bit late in applying to post-bacc programs, but I think I'll take my chances, seeing as how desperate I am getting. I have some questions, though, that I hope you all can answer. Also, when I'm talking about post-bacc programs they will have to be programs that are geared to strengthening my application, since I have already taken all the basic science preqrequisite courses. (I understand some post-bacc programs require that you have not taken the basic science courses yet.)

1) What good post-bacc programs are there that will give students guaranteed admission into their medical school? I of course understand that this will come with factors, such as being the top #% of the class.

2) What post-bacc programs are not too late to apply to at this point? So far all I know of is Georgetown.

3) I'm a bit confused as to how Georgetown helps strengthen your application. I understand that if you are accepted to their program they want you to apply to medical schools (AMCAS) before you begin their program in August. This way you will hopefully be able to start medical school right after you're done with Georgetown. So that means that I'll be applying to medical school with all the same statistics as this year (bad GPA, low MCAT score). Of course there will be one addition to the application, that I'm in the Georgetown program. How exactly will this increase my chances of getting interviews with medical schools? Do I send them my first semester grades from Georgetown right after I get them, and hope to get late interviews for medical school?

I currently have an undergrad GPA 3.0 and MCAT 27O. Do you think I should be retaking the MCAT before I apply to medical schools again this summer, while (hopefully) being in a postbacc program? Obviously, I'm confused on the whole timing factor.

Thank you!

Thank you!

Okey dokey, here goes...

1) I don't know of any post-bacs or SMPs that have guaranteed linkages for students who have already taken the pre-reqs. All of the linkages are for career changers. If you find one, let us know, because we haven't found it yet.

2) I'm not going to take the time to make a list, but just go to each program's website and look for the application due date. There's a whole list of programs in a thread that has a sticky in this forum. Just start googling.

3) As for applying while in an SMP, you apply in summer, fill out the secondaries, and then the medical schools will wait for your first semester grades and a dean's letter. So if you kick butt your first semester, it can help immensely. And if you don't get in that cycle, you can apply at the end of the year with a master's degree under your belt.

4) Retake the MCAT. A 3.0 would be hard to get in with even if you had a 42T, and a 27O would make it hard to get in with even if you had a 4.0. I can't imagine that you could be successful this time if you don't improve that major weakness in your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
you seem like a perfect candidate for drexel's msp program - it's a combination of ug coursework, med school or grad classes, and mcat test prep

Thanks for all the replies.

Since it seems pretty unanimous that I should retake the MCAT, should I try to go for Drexel's MSP or ISP? Do you think it will be to my advantage to do the ISP and prove that I am competent to go through medical school courses, versus doing the MSP and taking graduate and undergraduate courses?

Interdepartmental Medical Science (IMS) Program:
This is a one-year certificate program for students who have completed the required coursework and want to enhance their credentials for medical school application. Usually a competitive MCAT score of 27 or higher is required for admission. Students in this program take six medical school courses and must show they can excel in those classes to be considered a competitive applicant for medical school. Students in good academic standing and wish to continue into a second year of the program will earn a special Master’s of Medical Science (MMS) degree.

Medical Science Preparatory (MSP) Program:
This is also a one-year certificate program for students who have completed the required coursework and want to enhance their credentials for medical school application. The MSP program is for students who may need to strengthen their science background and/or MCAT score. Applicants to this program have less than a 27 MCAT. Students take both graduate and undergraduate courses in the basic sciences and additional courses that review pertinent topics in preparation for the MCAT. Students who are in good academic standing and have a strong performance on the April MCAT have the option to complete the IMS program the following year and earn a Master’s of Biological Science (MBS) degree.

Okey dokey, here goes...

1) I don't know of any post-bacs or SMPs that have guaranteed linkages for students who have already taken the pre-reqs. All of the linkages are for career changers. If you find one, let us know, because we haven't found it yet.

2) I'm not going to take the time to make a list, but just go to each program's website and look for the application due date. There's a whole list of programs in a thread that has a sticky in this forum. Just start googling.

3) As for applying while in an SMP, you apply in summer, fill out the secondaries, and then the medical schools will wait for your first semester grades and a dean's letter. So if you kick butt your first semester, it can help immensely. And if you don't get in that cycle, you can apply at the end of the year with a master's degree under your belt.

4) Retake the MCAT. A 3.0 would be hard to get in with even if you had a 42T, and a 27O would make it hard to get in with even if you had a 4.0. I can't imagine that you could be successful this time if you don't improve that major weakness in your app.

Lots of people get into med school with 27 mcats, they just have better GPAs; like 3.5 + gpas.

The University of Kansas offers a direct to medical school Post-Bacc. Program. This one sounds a lot different than other schools in that they only send out applications to those students that were interviewed, but not accepted. For guaranteed acceptance, you have to maintain a 3.0 GPA taking biological science and social science courses in the academic year. They do not mention having to retake the MCAT. The summers are set aside for enrichment programs.

I was just accepted to their program this week and will gladly accept as I am from Kansas and hope to practce in the state. My undergrad GPA was a 3.3 but could only score a 20 on the MCAT. I'm one of those that hate the ol standardized tests (4.2 high school GPA but only a 24 ACT/1100 SAT). I will be VERY relieved if I do not have to retest

U of L has a prematriculation program that offers students a chance to prove that they can do the work by enrolling in medical school classes and if they pass the classes, they are granted a seat in next years class. However, this program is for minority, rural applicants. Do not know much about the program just read about this program on U of L website.

I think it matters whether you also want to practice as an MD or a DO; frankly, for most clinicians, you aren't limited by the two letters after your name.

I am a nontraditional student, so I went for it at LECOMs PB, whose program is excellent, basically med school lectures (including a bunch of anatomy without the labs), stayed focused, pulling off mostly As (over a 3.5 for the 9 months). Yes, it snows there a bunch, and there is a dress code, but so what! Do you want to be a physician, or what. There are some very bright people there who just needed a break, and they took LECOMs offer to prove it.

We had 65 students in our program (not crammed, nor expensive--$6000/sem, not too intense, not cutthroat or negative). My friend actually left the program after he was accepted to a med school partway through the program. I'd say about 90%+ were accepted somewhere.

Most people I know really felt that the program paid off. LECOM certainly seemed to want to take a chance on us versus some random name and number from "outside". If you keep up on your recommendations from them, you should get a good LOR, if you do choose to go elsewhere. You make their standards, count yourself in.

Everyone I know that got waitlisted last year was accepted. They also offered the program to some of their MSIs (instead of enrichment over the summer) to hold their place this fall. All of them seem to be happy with what they had and what they had been given. No regrets from anyone I know. I take that back, some of the 'entitled' still complain.

Those who joined our classes with low MCATs did take the MCAT again in January and most faired better (although classes do NOT include physics, chemistry, etc), as they did offer free MCAT prep groups--how formal I do not know, as I didn't bother to take it again.

All in all, it was a major ego boost.

What I've seen...solidarity among the med students could be stronger, but it's partly because DO schools require an extra bunch of hours for hands-on manipulative training (OMT) which lengthens one's day, when the stress levels are already high. Another part is because 20 something's don't like to be told what to do, especially by administration who is still young and wants to make a good impression among the nation's institutions. I,personally, don't blame the administration for trying to set up a solid reputation. We all will benefit. All the discipline makes LECOMs students well received at institutions nationwide. If you are proactive, take externships and play more of the game.

It's all about your own attitude. Don't get caught up in the nonsense, because it IS EVERYWHERE and at every campus.

FYI--of the COMs, I think LECOM, despite their drive to recruit primary care (OB/GYN, IM, FM, peds) candidates, offers one of the highest specialty residency rates.

A lot of schools have post-bac programs that offer automatic acceptance to their medical school but many times it is for students who interviewed and were unsuccessful for medical school admission at the particular school. I know Wake Forest, Meharry, and some schools in New York have a program like this.

I JUST GOT INTO WAKE FOREST POST BAC WITH AN AUTOMATIC ADMISSION OFFER! MY PRAYERS WERE DEFINITELY ANSWERED!
Good luck to all of you guys