Postbacc Suggestions/Advice: Chances maybe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhittieStudenti

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

I've been looking around for a decent Post-Bacc program that could either link me into medical school (ie. goucher, Drexel PTMS) or an overall top-tier program without linkage (ie. Mills, Brynn Maar). My last semester as an undergraduate (Whitman College) is ending this coming May so I'm hoping to apply for the following Fall semester. I didn't have the best GPAs going through college however I managed to snag myself a few ace recommendation letters, shadowing events and an REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates program) so I'm mainly looking for a restart on the entire application process.

On to the meat of the matter, curriculum vitae:
1) AMCAs GPA: 3.121
2) Gen Chem I: A; Gen Chem II: B+; Gen Bio: C+; Genetics: C Orgo I: B, Orgo II: B+; Orgo Lab I: B-; Orgo Lab II: C+ Gen Physics I: B, Gen Physics II: C, Biochemistry: B+; Physical Cell-Biology: B; Molecular Biology: B; Synthetic Cellular Biology: A (Similarly for Humanities taken; Minor (History) GPA: 3.65)
3) State: WA
4) MCAT: 521 (99th percentile)
5) Whitman College, B.S. in Biochemistry-Molecular Biology Spring 2017
6) Clinical Experience: Volunteer in Swedish Valley Medical Center (pediatric-associates affliated): 1 summer, Volunteer at Whitman College funded Health Center: 1 semester; High School hospital volunteering: Seattles Children Hospital (1 year); Applying to volunteer with Providence St. Mary's ER department
7) Research Experience: National Science Foundation (NSF) fundedResearch Experience for Undergraduates (REU) at Samford University, Alabama: 1 summer; Publication as part of a cumulative project; Poster presentation at Whitman College Undergraduate College
8) Shadowing experiences: Neurosurgery (clinic twice: approx.10 hours); EMT ride along, 1 session: 4 hours; ER (Clinic & surgery: 4 hours)
9) Non-clinical: Walla Walla (City of residency) community volunteering, 3 years
10) Other extracurricular activities: Pre-med 2 yrs; Sigma Chi Fraternity 3.5 yrs; Successfully managed a charity wine auction for Providence St. Mary's hospital, local to Walla Walla, through fraternity philanthropy chair, raised $1100 first semester, $1700 second semester; primary lead at recouping 2015 stolen funds, $1500; Whitman Investment company - assisted vice-president as personal wealth manager for $800,000 parent fund; Assistant Superintendent - Libros Construction Inc: assisted in construction of $8.2 million condominium duplex project

OVERALL:

I completely understand that what's placed on the table is wayyy under the requirements for most medical schools and frankly I'm pretty committed to the idea of a gap year doing practically anything to boost up my chances. I've been looking into a good amount post-bacc programs among the categories mentioned above however there are just too many to chose from. There's also the fact that there might be a better way so any-and-all advice is welcome. I'm not looking for a plan but anything helps at the moment.

Thanks Everybody

Members don't see this ad.

I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, but here's my thoughts from browsing this site over the past year:

1) Most linkage agreements require 3.5+ gpa (overall and science)
2) Goucher does not accept students with science backgrounds (career change program)
3) For you, applying for a SMP and doing well might be your best bet for MD programs(search for SMPs on here to gauge program quality)
4) Replace a few courses you struggled in and apply DO if you're open to it

-bluebeardAT

Two questions:
1) From what I've read online, do those linkage programs that require a 3.5+ gpa usually mean the 3.5 gpa during their program or of the institution you attended before hand?
2) What does it mean to replace? Like taking classes at a different institution because I've been told repeatedly that having attended multiple institutions as a method for correcting grades is looked down upon for medical school applicants.