Postbacc Weirdness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMDDDSHopeful

Achievement Unlocked: Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So someone on SDN brought up a good point that postbacc is anything after a Bachelors that adds to your undergrad GPA but cannot be transferred to a Masters. Now here is a rejection excerpt I received last year:

"Within this holistic framework, we encourage you to evaluate which parts of your application might be strengthened. Typical areas to be examined are DAT scores, Science GPA, involvement in activities related to a career in dentistry, or life experience. Some candidates for dentistry find a post-baccalaureate graduate program leading to a MS degree helpful."

Now when I read this, I understand this to mean that there's no real indication that a postbacc has to be just undergrad and it can be anything after a bachelors that would lead to a MS.

Or perhaps it is to raise the undergrad to become qualified for entry into a Masters program.

Would love to hear somethoughts. My opinion is that anything after a BS is postbacc and it can be extra undergrad classes or grad classes that leads to a MS. Obviously the latter being the better option in my opinion for many real-life reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

So someone on SDN brought up a good point that postbacc is anything after a Bachelors that adds to your undergrad GPA but cannot be transferred to a Masters. Now here is a rejection excerpt I received last year:
"Within this holistic framework, we encourage you to evaluate which parts of your application might be strengthened. Typical areas to be examined are DAT scores, Science GPA, involvement in activities related to a career in dentistry, or life experience. Some candidates for dentistry find a post-baccalaureate graduate program leading to a MS degree helpful."Now when I read this, I understand this to mean that there's no real indication that a postbacc has to be just undergrad and it can be anything after a bachelors that would lead to a MS.Or perhaps it is to raise the undergrad to become qualified for entry into a Masters program.Would love to hear somethoughts. My opinion is that anything after a BS is postbacc and it can be extra undergrad classes or grad classes that leads to a MS. Obviously the latter being the better option in my opinion for many real-life reasons.
You are worried how "someone on SDN" classifies a postbacc?