Postdoc @ private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tjcdoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a postdoctoral psychologist, and am currently applying for a limited permit. I got a job offer to work at a psychiatrist's private practice to provide psychotherapy and testing, however I would be the only psychologist working there (with no licensed psychologist to provide supervision). Does anyone know if I can hire a private outside supervisor to cover the weekly supervision hours that a limited permit requires?

Members don't see this ad.

Supervison for licensure is a state-level issue, so it all depends on the state. Limited license practice is a further wrinkle (KS, MI, and maybe 1 or 2 other states do), so calling the licensing board of that state and possibly the state psych assoc can provide more insight.

Supervison for licensure is a state-level issue, so it all depends on the state. Limited license practice is a further wrinkle (KS, MI, and maybe 1 or 2 other states do), so calling the licensing board of that state and possibly the state psych assoc can provide more insight.
Thanks for your feedback. I am working in NY, in case that clarifies my situation a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, aside from getting licensed in NY, consider the possibility of moving states and future proof your # of hours needed and method of getting hours. Everyone has a chance to move states in their career. Just saying, be aware. Make sure that what you're going after is gonna fly if you fly.

NY can be quirky in their licensure, so definitely talk directly to the state licensing board. The NY psych association is one of the most active state-level associations (partly bc of the laws in NY), so they are worth a call too.