Poster at a national conference, any point in school research day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slack3r

Sicker than your average
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a poster that was already presented at a national conference. Is there any point in submitting the poster to one of the "student-research" sessions they have at my home school? I imagine there's no point, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Correct.

Can't show the same data at two different conferences (even if one is your medical school) and expect to get ERAS credit for it.

Correct.

Can't show the same data at two different conferences (even if one is your medical school) and expect to get ERAS credit for it.

Why not? I've never heard of such a thing...they are two different conferences. What if his work is interdisciplinary? Or even if it's not, he can absolutely present it at different conferences. I don't see why you think he can't list both on ERAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not? I've never heard of such a thing...they are two different conferences. What if his work is interdisciplinary? Or even if it's not, he can absolutely present it at different conferences. I don't see why you think he can't list both on ERAS.

I was under the impression that presenting info that has already been presented (even at other conferences) was generally frowned upon.

For example, ASTRO's abstract submission website explicitly states:

1. Abstracts should contain new material that has not been presented or published prior to the ASTRO Annual Meeting, September 14-17, 2014. Previously presented abstracts will not be eligible for ASTRO ’s official Press Program or Plenary Session.
  2. Abstract presenters with the same abstract accepted for presentation at another major medical meeting* or accepted for publication after February 17, 2014, are required to notify ASTRO by emailing the Education Department.

*Major medical meetings include annual meetings of national and international societies with attendance of more than 3,000 participants.
I think if you had new data that you were planning on submitting to ASTRO (or another large national conference) and your med school abstract day, that would be fine. However, I am not 100% sure of whether you can double dip (for the same abstract) in multiple conferences when you're reporting it on ERAS.

At most conferences when you submit your abstract they want you to attest that it hasn't been already presented or published elsewhere. School research days may have lower standards but I probably wouldn't put it on my CV.

I was under the impression that presenting info that has already been presented (even at other conferences) was generally frowned upon.

Interesting. I've had multiple advisors and worked with several post-docs who have all re-used posters for different conferences. I've even done it because it seems like a common thing to do, especially if the work is not published yet. Not saying you're wrong, I've just seen a different practice. Thanks for the info though.