"Power couple" applying to med school now: how can we do this?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I live in the Bethesda area, but somehow I have 2 more "choices" than you and include Howard and GW.:confused:

We had no idea where the Navy would want to send my wife when I started the application cycle, so I applied to medical schools at various locations across the country. Rather than applying to all schools in the DC area, I selected the ones that looked like the best fit for me at the beginning of the cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I'd be bored to death with a significant other doing the EXACT SAME THING AS ME. That is why I choose to be with an animator.

Anyways that's besides the point. G'luck OP, I do hope things work out ;)

I think keeping it long distance would be one of the best things you could do in terms of maintaining focus on the demands of med school. Here's how I envision your future if you go to med school together:

dasacohen: Hey smoochy-woochy, wanna study for our Pathology exam?
gf: Okay cuddlebear, but how about you give me some of those kisses first?
dasacohen: Okay poodle-kins, I'll give you some kissy-wissies on your facey-wacey.
gf: Oh, sugar-lumpkins, I'm so glad we're together for med school!

Fast-forward 2 years and she's already popped out a litter and you've both failed Step 1. BEWARE!

:laugh: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yeh, I love my wife. But I just could not go to med school with her. Can you imagine if she whooped your arse on every single exam, and then totally routed you on step 1. Talk about a source of friction, particularly when it came to match-time for residency when one of you is off to Hopkins and the other is at Po-dunk U.

Members don't see this ad :)
This wins the award for the lamest thread of today year for a couple of reasons:

1.) At the time of posting, the OP had a picture of HIMSELF as his avatar. Not a picture of him doing something funny, or in a goofy pose, but a portrait.

Who cares :sleep:

2.) WTF is a "power couple"? Is it some conceited term to describe your "success" in the application process, or what?

Again see comment on #1 :sleep:

geesh give the guy a break, but then again this is SDN :cool:

Cause we don't post pictures of ourselves as our avatars on a pre-med forum.

Here's a pic of me and my GF:

redneck.JPG

Happy now?
Yes, I'm dam happy.....dam happy you don't use that pic in your avatar!:laugh:

WHY, WHY, WHY do unattractive people have to pour on the hate?:laugh:

:thumbdown: :sleep:
just cause we all don't post pics of ourselves on online forums doesn't mean we're unattractive.

whiskey, I apologized...can I do anything else or are just acting out for fun?

Dasacohen, Please put your photo back in your avatar. I thought you were handsome and enjoyed looking at it. Of course you are not as handsome as PhilAnthropist, my baby-daddy, but you will do!:D

(Seriously, I have no advice for you, but I wish you and your SO luck. The world needs more love)

Consider yourself lucky. My fiance and I have been engaged since July. He currently attends vet school in SGU in Grenada. I am starting med school in Nebraska in the fall. Plane tickets are over $1000 and the trip takes 12-17 hours if you DON'T get stuck spending the night in Puerto Rico. Phone calls are around 35 cents a minute... so 20 min/a day= $7/day=$210/month.

Long distance relationships are difficult. We are together this semester in Grenada but did long distance last semester. Its hard when you only see each other once in four months and you can't even talk on the phone. But it's what we have to do to get to where we want to be. We know it will be worth it.

I never considered going to SGU. I applied to the schools that I wanted to get into based on their program, cost, prestige, etc. I know that our relationship is strong and that we can still be independent people. We trust each other. OP- You need to go for the best schools that you can get into. If you really have a strong relationship like you say that you do, you can make it long distance. Don't base your med school decision on a relationship - its your career. And really you will still be living in the same country so you can call each other and fly out for weekends.

I can't believe that you or your girlfriend received special treatment because you are in a relationship regardless if you were married or not. That's unfair. Decisions should be made solely on application and interview. Rediculous!

:thumbdown: :sleep:
just cause we all don't post pics of ourselves on online forums doesn't mean we're unattractive.
Dudette, the laughing icon means that what is being said is a joke!:idea:

Dasacohen, Please put your photo back in your avatar. I thought you were handsome and enjoyed looking at it. Of course you are not as handsome ast PhilAnthropist, my baby-daddy, but you will do!:D

(Seriously, I have no advice for you, but I wish you and your SO luck. The world needs more love)
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Consider yourself lucky. My fiance and I have been engaged since July. He currently attends vet school in SGU in Grenada. I am starting med school in Nebraska in the fall. Plane tickets are over $1000 and the trip takes 12-17 hours if you DON'T get stuck spending the night in Puerto Rico. Phone calls are around 35 cents a minute... so 20 min/a day= $7/day=$210/month.

Long distance relationships are difficult. We are together this semester in Grenada but did long distance last semester. Its hard when you only see each other once in four months and you can't even talk on the phone. But it's what we have to do to get to where we want to be. We know it will be worth it.

I never considered going to SGU. I applied to the schools that I wanted to get into based on their program, cost, prestige, etc. I know that our relationship is strong and that we can still be independent people. We trust each other. OP- You need to go for the best schools that you can get into. If you really have a strong relationship like you say that you do, you can make it long distance. Don't base your med school decision on a relationship - its your career. And really you will still be living in the same country so you can call each other and fly out for weekends.

I can't believe that you or your girlfriend received special treatment because you are in a relationship regardless if you were married or not. That's unfair. Decisions should be made solely on application and interview. Rediculous!
If he has internet down at SGU, get Skype! Free Phone calls.

certainly! I've posted a bunch so I know what's in jest and whats not....but I guess it's different when someone is just hating on you for no particular reason. I think there is a line and while people don't really care because it's online I didn't realize that SDN was quite as harsh as it was...but thanks for your responces

and thanks to those people saying nice things (path, sunny, etc)

certainly! I've posted a bunch so I know what's in jest and whats not....but I guess it's different when someone is just hating on you for no particular reason. I think there is a line and while people don't really care because it's online I didn't realize that SDN was quite as harsh as it was...but thanks for your responces

"Physically challenged" people will ALWAYS hate on people who aren't. And "physically challenged" people who can't get into med school will almost certainly be much worse. But a "physically challenged" person who can't get into med school or anything else (pun intended) will without a doubt be hell on feet!
:laugh:

Good luck with whatever you decide!:thumbup:

Internet in Grenada is ****ty. Skype cuts out and has a delay. Its extremely frustrating. TRUST me we tried it. Also you have to pick times that you can get together on the computer and there is a time difference which is also annoying.

hey dasa, i am trying to coordinate med school with my SO as well (thankfully he's in an unrelated field though) so I know it can be tough. I don't know why people here are being so tough on you. Admission Committee probably do appreciate your honesty and they don't just give acceptances away. You're both qualified people since you've received acceptances of your own. I think your best bet is to go with a Letter of Intent and stay on the waitlists. But I agree with the honesty part. Keep in touch with a Dean and stay honest about your desires to stay together or to commit if your gf gets off a waitlist. good luck!

Op, I am sure you already know that SDN is full of mean people. I can't tell you how many times people have said nasty things about me. Having said that, your new rainbow avatar is not symbolic of anything, is it?

Dump her and go where you want to go. Is someone really worth changing your entire life plan around? Makes the whole situation much easier.

Someone's obviously never been in love before... :sleep:

Op, I am sure you already know that SDN is full of mean people. I can't tell you how many times people have said nasty things about me. Having said that, your new rainbow avatar is not symbolic of anything, is it?

lol first piece of japanese art that i found in the appropriate size...

What is a POWERCOUPLE, I want answers.
It means that both partners in the couple have equal power, and sometimes also carries the implication that they are both "high powered" "Type A" career-minded individuals.

As opposed to, you know, the kind of relationship where Partner A gets accepted/hired/promoted/transferred whatever and Partner B instantly drops everything to toddle on after them because Partner B doesn't really have anything significant going on in their own life/career and they can just as easily continue homemaking/childrearing/clerking/minimumwaging in the new location. :rolleyes:

ETA: Thanks for the thread dasa. I will probably be in this same boat in about 2 years.

I am surprised at some people here.

To the OP: Good luck and I hope you guys get what you want. SDN is full of a$$holes.

some people keep my hopes up...like you two :)

i think if you truly want to be together, you may have to sacrifice location of schools rather than each of your number 1 choices. it would be great if you or her could get off of the waitlist, but if not, you may have to sacrifice locations in order to be with each other.

i have a significant other who is currently in medical school, and although we are not married or engaged (yet), we do plan on being together. As a result, i definitely considered him when applying to med schools, and will most likely be attending his medical school (even though it costs a lot more than my state school).

If you want to make it work, it will work.

Good luck!

well for reference... UMich did have an "apply as a couple" option.

Internet in Grenada is ****ty. Skype cuts out and has a delay. Its extremely frustrating. TRUST me we tried it. Also you have to pick times that you can get together on the computer and there is a time difference which is also annoying.
Sorry to hear that. Just thought I'd try to help with a suggestion :).

I think keeping it long distance would be one of the best things you could do in terms of maintaining focus on the demands of med school. Here's how I envision your future if you go to med school together:

dasacohen: Hey smoochy-woochy, wanna study for our Pathology exam?
gf: Okay cuddlebear, but how about you give me some of those kisses first?
dasacohen: Okay poodle-kins, I'll give you some kissy-wissies on your facey-wacey.
gf: Oh, sugar-lumpkins, I'm so glad we're together for med school!

Fast-forward 2 years and she's already popped out a litter and you've both failed Step 1. BEWARE!

I don't know why people think that married students are worse off than single students. Married students have the emotional and at times financial support from their spouses...plus, being long distance definitely takes up a lot of time, money, and energy to keep up. That being said, I'm glad that dasacohen and his gf are willing to do the long distance thing so that both of them can pursue their career choices. It's not impossible, but it definitely sucks.

To the OP- I sympathize with your situation, most of these cold posters have no idea of the struggle that goes along with an applying significant other. It is no surprise to me that these schools value and give preference to your relationship. It shows devotion and commitment, qualities obviously needed in life as a physician.

My 3 yr boyfriend got into my dream school, and I'm headed to a place 13 hrs away, somewhere I definitely didn't imagine myself initially. Boy what stress this application process has caused. Wish I could "bargain" my way in, but I don't think that would work (he's on rough grounds right now). At this point, its about turning lemons into lemonade.

So I'm here only to say what I would do if I were in your situation; it's not necessarily what you have to or even should do. I would go ahead and do the same significant other email protocol on UCLA, it can't hurt. Clearly, you cannot predict your UCLA acceptance or her USC waitlist. But you can tempt the hands of fate with all of the powers you DO have. This is how I would "bargain"

Each of you can send letters to your existing acceptances and say something along the lines of, "I'm really excited about coming here, etc, I'm struggling with deciding to come here and going ___, the biggest factor is my gf/bf, who interviewed here. While I love this school, my relationship is important to me, and this is going to influence my decision, etc. Obviously I have a big decision to make, to make this struggle any easier I was wondering if you had any advice for me...blah blah...Additionally, what kind of support/special arrangements(?) are available for committed couples with this college...Any advice would be appreciated."

Here's the way I look at it; YOU'RE ALREADY IN. It really doesn't matter what you say, they can't de-accept you on these grounds. Who knows what would come of it, but at least you can feel assured that you did everything you could.

Best of Luck...

I don't know why people think that married students are worse off than single students. Married students have the emotional and at times financial support from their spouses...plus, being long distance definitely takes up a lot of time, money, and energy to keep up. That being said, I'm glad that dasacohen and his gf are willing to do the long distance thing so that both of them can pursue their career choices. It's not impossible, but it definitely sucks.

God, how many people do I have to explain humor to today. Again, here is a link: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/joke

Haha, I need to quick find a "significant other" at one of the schools that waitlisted me - maybe they'll give me a better shot!

It's not just what you said. there's been several other people posting on some threads about getting married before or after school, and they just don't seem to get it.

Okay. Smartass rebuttal rescinded. (For the record, I'm in a long-term relationship myself and acknowledge both the advantages and disadvantages)

My wife and I went through med school together. It helped a lot being able to discuss things that went on in classes and all, but there is definitely some competition. That is just the nature of most people who go through this process. One thing that made it easier in terms of competition was that my wife was in every way the superior student (junior AOA, numerous awards,etc), while I was just another schmoe who muddled through med school. It was evident that the wife was kicking my butt academically, but I adapted to it and we got through it. She is now a division head of an int med subspecialty at a large HMO, and I make the $$$$. We're very happy now but it is a process:p

My wife and I went through med school together. It helped a lot being able to discuss things that went on in classes and all, but there is definitely some competition. That is just the nature of most people who go through this process. One thing that made it easier in terms of competition was that my wife was in every way the superior student (junior AOA, numerous awards,etc), while I was just another schmoe who muddled through med school. It was evident that the wife was kicking my butt academically, but I adapted to it and we got through it. She is now a division head of an int med subspecialty at a large HMO, and I make the $$$$. We're very happy now but it is a process:p

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
For some reason I LMAO reading this post.

ya i have a feeling that this might happen too!

but who cares....gotta end up together :)

virus--

honesty wins in the "game" of applications. Be honest with your deans and interviewers and they will respect the situation.

I'm in your same boat... This is what you do... Get engaged and each go to a different med school if all else fails. Find a cheap apartment or something to keep eachothers stuff and live there during summer break. Mabey transfer to her school or her to yours after a year. You can give up the *** for 12 months or so. In the end, you'll both have M.D. degrees and can start your life together...Goodluck...

I'm in your same boat... This is what you do... Get engaged and each go to a different med school if all else fails. Find a cheap apartment or something to keep eachothers stuff and live there during summer break. Mabey transfer to her school or her to yours after a year. You can give up the *** for 12 months or so. In the end, you'll both have M.D. degrees and can start your life together...Goodluck...

thanks bee, where do you go to school?

dasacohen,

I'm in a similar situation with my long-term gf right now.

One option we considered in the case that only one of us got into a desirable school was to have the accepted one defer for a year while the other improved their application for a second attempt the next year.

You might consider this if you aren't too worried about timing. If you move right away this option may also allow you to get in-state tuition at a public school depending, of course, on your school's policy.

Good luck!

Im too tired and lazy to read the whole thread, but in case no one else has mentioned it, having your spouse at a different school (or a diff city) is usually acceptable grounds for transfer to another school. Therefore, for the first one or two years (usually transfers take place after year 2, but they can certainly happen after year 1 depending on curriculum matching), you two could go to different medical schools, and then one of you could try transfering over to the other's school.

Hey -

I'm in a similar situation as well. Fortunately, my girlfriend and I have been accepted into 2 of the same schools, one of which is my top choice. She just found out she didn't get into her top choice - so it looks like she'll be going to my top choice (her second choice - confused yet?? :) )

Anyways, just keep on working at it. I'm sure things will work out how they're supposed to. It's definitely not an easy road trying to stay with someone who is also pursuing a career in medicine. You'll have the couples match to look forward to next, then trying to find a job in the same area after residency! It's tough - but doable (or so I've heard).

OP- Best of luck to you and I hope everything works out. What would happen if you two put off med school this time around and tried again next year? Have either of you been accepted anywhere yet?
If one of you went to med school and the other worked for a year and then applied to the same school the following year (no promises there, tho), you'd still be together and would also have the benefit of a supportive spouse.

Just some thoughts. :)

chrunchy, you see my first post?..explains the situation in full

In regards to it being boring having your SO in med school with you, I don't know I think it won't be boring in the end because chances are both wont end up in the same field after med school if you are together after med school. Most people who are couples go into the same med school and same place for residency but they go to different fields of medicine.

... Most people who are couples go into the same med school and same place for residency but they go to different fields of medicine.

As will likely be the case :cool:

As will likely be the case :cool:

When are you gonna put your pic back in your avatar? How about a snapshot of you and the future missus?

I will be motivated to pray harder for you two to get into the same school if I can stare at you cute face! :D

SDN needs more eyecandy.

:thumbup:

lol I was hated on so badly that I'm purdy timid now. But we'll see...