"Power couple" applying to med school now: how can we do this?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I dont think schools should consider your situation, at all, for several reasons. Firstly, you havent made any conventional or mainstream commitments (ie. engaged, married, etc.). What makes you different than someone wanting to go with a friend-even a "really good friend." Secondly, this is one of lifes challenges, and here is a good place for it to start. Our society has rules, some of which are not to our benefit, which regulate marriage and relationships. It seems you would like to reap only the benefits of the relationship (nepotism in this case) without also accepting the less glamorous roles a husband plays. Would you ask the IRS for deductions on your tax return as a "serious couple"? You are not married, and this is for a specific reason-the couple isnt ready to commit to that level yet. Why should medical schools commit to this couple either?

Members don't see this ad.

Karl Rove, is that you?

Whatcha' doin' masquerading as a pre-med?

:laugh: <---bad joke

...and Dash, I do think you should go on and buy your girl a ring.
HT253112X_main.jpg

I dont think schools should consider your situation, at all, for several reasons. Firstly, you havent made any conventional or mainstream commitments (ie. engaged, married, etc.). What makes you different than someone wanting to go with a friend-even a "really good friend." Secondly, this is one of lifes challenges, and here is a good place for it to start. Our society has rules, some of which are not to our benefit, which regulate marriage and relationships. It seems you would like to reap only the benefits of the relationship (nepotism in this case) without also accepting the less glamorous roles a husband plays. Would you ask the IRS for deductions on your tax return as a "serious couple"? You are not married, and this is for a specific reason-the couple isnt ready to commit to that level yet. Why should medical schools commit to this couple either?

:rolleyes: This is a good question. Op why?

Members don't see this ad :)
lol four years may or may not be a serious relationship...but for us it is.

By being honest, med schools have understood our situation and why we'd like to go to school together. While marriage and an engagement is down the line, we are not ready at this point in time, so if med schools don't want to consider us a "couple" that is fine by me. I also recognize that I won't be able to receive the treatment associated with having a spouse; however, I still feel that my situation is unique and thus deserves special attension (and all the medical schools who have graciously cooperated must have agreed).

so I simply refute your question with: well if all of the medical schools have given us special consideration, why would they do so if they didn't consider our relationship real?

Also, on an aside, demanding to go to school with a "good friend" is a bit different than your significant other. Also 4 years, is way different than 1 or even 2 for that matter...so seriously if you think that going to school with a friend and my situation are the exact same thing, I wonder how many relatinoships you've been in.

I think it's ridiculous that med schools take long-term relationships into consideration. Boyfriend/girlfriend DOES NOT equal marriage. Maybe if we all told the schools to which we were applying that we had been banging some guy/girl for several years, they'd take that into consideration in our apps...:thumbdown:

JEALOUS!

Hey OP, I have a true story for you. One of my really good friends who is an MD/PhD in my lab came to the particular med school I do research at with his girlfriend. Now, this particular med school is one of the worst med schools you can go to in the nation. It is still an MD school but it is by no stretch of the imagination "great". Either way, my friend came to this medical school for his girlfriend. His girlfriend was a resident of this state and he was not. He tried to get in the first time around as an out of state resident and could not because it is pretty much impossible. Even though he got into other medical schools (really good ones, top 50 schools), he decided to come start a PhD at this medical school instead since he wanted to do MD/PhD anyway. After another year, he had gained residency in this state an reapplied. He got intot he MD/PhD program and all was well. He and his girlfriend got engaged and then married. We were all so happy for them. About a year and half later, that ****ing hoe cheated on him with some tool ass resident. Broke his heart. They got divorced and now he is stuck at a school that is **** and a place that he never really wanted to be in the first place. Things are OK for them but he always tells me and everyone else around us that you should never follow a significant other anywhere unless you truly want to go there yourself. Why? Cuz you can't predict the future. Keep this story in mind while making your decision.

So your serious, but not ready for marraige (in other words not quite THAT serious). So its analagous to the difference between sending a letter of strong interest versus a letter of intent ;)

I get it. Nothing wrong with that. Hopefully everything will work out for you both, especially since the schools have been so accomodating thus far.

dasacohen,

I suggest ignoring all posts which attempt to discuss your relationship in any detail. Random advice or critiques from strangers are as useful as they are informed (which is to say--not at all).

A few of us have given practical advice about med school choices--both delay until simultaneous acceptance, one delay until other gets in, beg harder to commonly desired school, endure LD relationship for 4 years then hope to match together.

Once again, good luck.

Ya, and that's pretty much what it comes down to, but I was asking more about specifically if it would be appropriate to try and get schools to make decisions earlier on us so that we could decide where we want to go.

Thanks all again,
d

Ya, and that's pretty much what it comes down to, but I was asking more about specifically if it would be appropriate to try and get schools to make decisions earlier on us so that we could decide where we want to go.
Thanks all again,
d

No, I think that might be construed as you being arrogant or childish, or both.

that's pretty much the decision i've come to too. Just communicate with schools effectively, and wait until may 10 or so to see what happens in the mean time. Then, just make the best decisions we can at the time...

that's pretty much the decision i've come to too. Just communicate with schools effectively, and wait until may 10 or so to see what happens in the mean time. Then, just make the best decisions we can at the time...
Honestly, I agree with FCD in going where YOU want to go and your gf going where she wants to go...don't base your entire decision on what your partner does. You'll be able to make a long distance relationship work if that's what it comes down to, but really, anything can happen in relationships. I went through this last year with my boyfriend and even though we both were accepted to the same good school, he went with his gut and went elsewhere and I went with my gut and chose to go somewhere else. We were planning on trying it out long-distance until I got off the waitlist at my first choice, which was about 15 mins away from his school. Had we both decided to go to the only place we originally both got into, neither of us would be at the school we really wanted to go to. Whatever happens in your relationship was meant to happen (at least I believe that), and you never know what can initially sound awful might turn out to be a blessing in disguise. good luck!

very true! so many outside factors and I think that it's important that we go to good places for ourselves. Hopefully it'll end up as nicely as your situation did :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dump her and go where you want to go. Is someone really worth changing your entire life plan around? Makes the whole situation much easier.

:laugh: Spoken like a true 22-year-old pre-med who doesn't have a girlfriend.

Anyway, to dasacohen: I have no advice for you on how to do what you're planning, but I can assure you that you're doing the right thing. I'd rather have the doctor who picked a lower-ranked med school to be with the woman he loves than the gunner who dumped his long-term girlfriend to go to a better school. I hope it works out for you two. Luckily, couples matching for residency is a lot easier.

What about gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered people whose federal government doesn't allow them the "conventional or mainstream commitment" as you call it? What if the OP and his long-term girlfriend never decide to get married? Does that make these people any more or less committed to each other? I think not, nor does it mean that the OP does not already assume some of the less desirable responsibilties of a committed relationship....

i still didn't see an answer... WTF is a "power couple"?

maybe this kid is afraid of his girl going away and finding a better man :sleep:

lol..certainly not afraid of her finding a better man--we're an excellent match for each other.

a "power couple" as someone said somewhere on page 1 or 2 is where you have two people in a relationship with type "A" careers/personalities. For example, a couple where both are doctors would be considered a power couple. A business CEO and a lawyer would be considered a power couple. Basically both people are going into very respectable fields.

What about gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered people whose federal government doesn't allow them the "conventional or mainstream commitment" as you call it?

this is an interesting comment...for residencies do they help match lesbian or gay couples close by (even though they are not "married")?

Hey guys--

So I feel that I have a unique situation (no, please I swear read on at this point :)) My girlfriend and I have been going out for a little over four years. While we're not in any haste to make it official, we plan on staying together for the long run. Here's the catch, we're both applying to medical school this cycle, and consequently that adds a lot of pressure on the process as a whole. Here's the scoop.

I was accepted to Miami (10/18) and U Southern Cal (early January) early in the cycle. She was accepted to Jefferson early (10/16). After we were accepted at our schools, we both wrote emails/contacted deans about our significant other situation (how we were both applying, would like to go to the same school but not the ONLY decision factor, etc...) Schools responded amazingly. Miami un-rejected her pre-secondary and gave her a secondary within days of my notification. She had an interview at miami in late Feb. USC within a week granted her an interview which she will have in the first week in April. Jefferson granted me an interview in January within weeks after her request for me.

HERE's the problem. We keep getting on our partner's school's waitlists. Though we both felt that we did well at our interviews, because we did not initially meet the schools "requirements" and were granted interviews under the given circumstance, we've been waitlisted. I've been "High Priority" waitlisted at Jefferson, She's been waitlisted at Miami as of today.

To make matters worse, I just interviewed at UCLA (invited 1/12 but couldn't interview until 3/9). It is probably my number one choice but I have this suspicion that I will be placed on the waitlist (since my GPA and MCAT are not incredible, (33 and 3.65)). We both generally interview really well, so I doubt that the interview is the actual reason that we are not getting in...

Ideally I'd like to stay in the LA area, but we're comtemplating going to other schools to be able to be near each other (there are other factors which went into THAT decision but they're a bit more personal and I'd be glad to talk about it if you'd like to know). We've decided that for Miami/Jefferson the two are interchangable. Miami is a better setting for us californians, but Jefferson has some good opportunities and teaching too. We're focused on being clinicians above anything else, but we're both from the LA area and we'd like to go back to LA and learn medicine in the environment we'd like to be in the future.

Do you think she'll be waitlisted at USC? How should we "bargain" with Adcoms? Is it appropriate to talk to schools now in the cycle? should we wait till may? I'm so confused...help me!!!

All you need to put on this thread is those bold words. The rest of the other paragraphs are useless to answer your question.

sorry to waste your time...but thanks for reading anyway

this is an interesting comment...for residencies do they help match lesbian or gay couples close by (even though they are not "married")?
You can match with anyone you want, not just your husband/wife. You can enter the match with your best friend if you want, provided that's what you both want.

You can match with anyone you want, not just your husband/wife. You can enter the match with your best friend if you want, provided that's what you both want.

i had no idea...can you match with multiple people...ie best friends :idea:

i had no idea...can you match with multiple people...ie best friends :idea:
So you're into that sort of thing, eh? Don't worry, I don't judge.

I think you can enter the match with whomever and however many people you want...not such a good idea though since you'd all have to match to places in the same location.

nah, it was just an idea. Are you a resident?

nah, it was just an idea. Are you a resident?
No I'm an MS1, but I had similar questions as you. For example, I didn't find out until this year how you can match at different hospitals in the same area. The prospect of trying to match in the same place as someone else is actually kind of nervewracking.

Ya'll need to see Dasa's girl.

I'm a heterosexual female, but Gat Dang she's LUV-ER-LY!

If i was a man I'd follow her to med school too!

*Sunny hating on Dasa's girl 'cause she's cute and has a nice lookin boyfriend* :smuggrin:

I'm surprised that this thread has such legs on pre-allo. Normally the turnover is too quick for an issue like this one.

My only point was that if the sole reason for asking that your so be admitted over somebody else is because she is your so, then the school would necessarily be pushing somebody else down the waitlist for a reason that he/she cannot control. Whatever a particular applicant puts in something like a letter of intent that demonstrates intent to attend is her own bizness, but that should be between her and the school.

Some places use a numbered waitlist that is straight-forward, and I've even heard of them telling you what your number was. I think that most, however, use sliding waitlists such that if an oos yields a spot, an oos applicant is offered; same for particular minorities or people with specific backgrounds. That's why I've never really felt like the intent letters help much.

Best of luck. I know that I would be doing better in school if I had some regular booty access.

Ya'll need to see Dasa's girl.

pic?

would the best strategy for a couple trying to get into osteopathic med school be to just flat out be the most competitive candidate grade + mcat wise, due to the grade replacement in the GPA calculation?